Sponsored

Transfer Case - manual or electronically controlled?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
So just curious...

I got into a little conversation with my brother, dad and a few other family members about modern vs. older vehicles. My dad was talking about how his new Derango has a dial transmission shifter, and I mentioned how my new Wrangler has a lever for the transfer case. My brother (who happens to own a YJ) said some something along the lines of "yeah, but it's still just electronically controlled". Not that it really matters all that much to me, but I didn't really know if that's true or not.
Sponsored

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
So just curious...

I got into a little conversation with my brother, dad and a few other family members about modern vs. older vehicles. My dad was talking about how his new Derango has a dial transmission shifter, and I mentioned how my new Wrangler has a lever for the transfer case. My brother (who happens to own a YJ) said some something along the lines of "yeah, but it's still just electronically controlled". Not that it really matters all that much to me, but I didn't really know if that's true or not.
We have both the JL AND a 2016 Durango R/T with the dial shifter. The JL uses cables. (I was just under there yesterday and saw/traced both of them). Although, come to think of it, there must be a computerized component to the shifter mechanism to account for the “manual” shifting of gears when you’re using the “AutoStick” feature.

I’m not exactly clear how the Durango works, but I have replaced the electronic dial. It’s actaully just a module that connects to the vehicle via a Molex connector.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The transfer case is controlled by a push pull cable. Definitely not electronic.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The JL transfer case shifter is a manual shifter. But to your brothers point, yes, there are a lot more electronics involved in the JL than the YJ. When you pull up on the T-case shifter you are manually engaging the transfer case fork to send 50% of the power to your front axle and 50% to the back. Simultaneously, the JL’s computer will electronically engage the front axle disconnect (FAD) to join the two-piece axle shaft. If his YJ has a FAD (can’t remember if all YJs do) then the same thing is happening except the YJ FAD is vacuum actuated. I’d take the more modern electronic motor over the vacuum design, but that’s just my opinion.
Yes there are a lot of electronics in the JL and it’s too much for a lot of Wrangler purests, but Jeep engineered a heck of machine that has a lot of creature comforts and does not compromise any capability.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Transfer case is cable. Auto transmission is electronic. That’s what the door is in front of the transmission shifter, so you can manually place transmission in neutral if there is an electronic issue.
Sponsored

Last edited: