Sponsored

Transfer case leak

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Alex, thanks much for reaching out! I think It is all set ..thanks again
Happy to hear that, Rico! Thank you for the update.
Alex
JeepCares

OP
OP
Rico1111

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Small leak or not you need to find out where it's coming from. I mean, personally, I'm not cool paying $40-$50k for a vehicle and having ANY leak.
Look to where the t-case mates to the transmission. If it is coming from that location there is a TSB that addresses this. It's a simple bolt swap and proper torquing of the new bolts. TSB 21-021-19

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...v-a-transfer-case-oil-leak-may-15-2019.34620/
It seems to be a very small drip coming from the drain nut...I tightened down but there is still a few drops after making my commute ..so I will over the weekend drain it and use some permatex (I think it's called) on the drain nut and torque the bolt down to its specific which I believe is 21ft lbs.
I can't get an appointment until week after next and it is my DD so I'm not willing to leave it with them if It is something as simple as the nut....I did read the TSB thank you for including the link. I scanned the area that they are talking about and it is dry so I'm pretty sure it's not related. Who knows I will give this a go first and if It still has a drip I'll bite the bullet and make the appointment.
Thanks for the heads up.

srm93

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4DR Jeep Rubicon 2.0L e-torque
Clubs

Leak issue resolved: JL manufactured with wrong part number input shaft
I had a similar transfer case fluid leak issue with my JL. I finally found a dealer, a bit of a drive, that was willing to take the issue seriously. A quarter size drop each day or 2 is too much. Should be no fluid leaking from the transfer case at all, especially from a brand new Jeep. So, they followed Chrysler's guidelines for service to the letter which means I needed to make several trips, but each time the service team was timely, gave me a loaner and was fantastic to deal with. What they found as the cause though was quite surprising:
Visit 1: simply tighten bolts- not resolved
Visit 2: replace pan gasket- not resolved
Visit 3: replace input shaft seal- not resolved
Visit 4: replace input shaft- RESOLVED

It is the 4th visit where things got real. The service manager was sure it was a transfer case issue, thousands of dollars to replace, still under warranty of course, but they were required to first try replacing the input shaft before they would get approval to replace the transfer case. When they pulled the input shaft out it became obvious why there was fluid leaking. It was not the correct part number input shaft. This resulted in several(3) video conferences with engineers and QA at Chrysler documenting and validating the find. So, I do not know if my Jeep was a one off or if there are a series of VINs with wrong input shaft's installed, but this was considered a pretty big deal and got a lot of attention at what seemed to be senior levels at Chrysler. So, if you have a stubborn, small transfer case fluid leak on a new vehicle, this certainly could be the root cause.

OP
OP
Rico1111

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I
I had a similar transfer case fluid leak issue with my JL. I finally found a dealer, a bit of a drive, that was willing to take the issue seriously. A quarter size drop each day or 2 is too much. Should be no fluid leaking from the transfer case at all, especially from a brand new Jeep. So, they followed Chrysler's guidelines for service to the letter which means I needed to make several trips, but each time the service team was timely, gave me a loaner and was fantastic to deal with. What they found as the cause though was quite surprising:

It is the 4th visit where things got real. The service manager was sure it was a transfer case issue, thousands of dollars to replace, still under warranty of course, but they were required to first try replacing the input shaft before they would get approval to replace the transfer case. When they pulled the input shaft out it became obvious why there was fluid leaking. It was not the correct part number input shaft. This resulted in several(3) video conferences with engineers and QA at Chrysler documenting and validating the find. So, I do not know if my Jeep was a one off or if there are a series of VINs with wrong input shaft's installed, but this was considered a pretty big deal and got a lot of attention at what seemed to be senior levels at Chrysler. So, if you have a stubborn, small transfer case fluid leak on a new vehicle, this certainly could be the root cause.
had to go back to my dealer 3 times because every time it was fixed it was still leaking!!

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

The dealer replaced the output shaft seal on the transmission and the input shaft seal on the t-case on mine. He said since we are going in there we are going to do both that way there will be no question about it. I will obviously be keeping an eye on it but just to confirm you are stating that it is the input shaft of the t-case that is the real problem. Nothing to do with the transmission correct?

YoShaunO

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ecoDiesel
I

had to go back to my dealer 3 times because every time it was fixed it was still leaking!!
Sorry, I know this is an older thread but have to ask. Iā€™m having this exact issue with my ā€˜21 JLUR. Iā€™ve been to the dealer twice. So far all theyā€™ve done is replace the input seal...twice. Guess what, still leaking. Heading back to the dealer again tomorrow. Just curious what finally fixed yours.

6031CD7D-F63D-4472-9425-C357E0B76534.jpeg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I know this is an older thread but have to ask. Iā€™m having this exact issue with my ā€˜21 JLUR. Iā€™ve been to the dealer twice. So far all theyā€™ve done is replace the input seal...twice. Guess what, still leaking. Heading back to the dealer again tomorrow. Just curious what finally fixed yours.

Jeep Wrangler JL Transfer case leak 6031CD7D-F63D-4472-9425-C357E0B76534
I can't really orient that picture to see where your leak is but it sort of looks like over on the linkage area. The good news is it's not your tranny seal since the fluid is red that can only be coming from the t-case.
If they've done your seal twice I'd venture a guess as to that not being the problem.
It might be leaking where the linkage goes into the side of the case. Since your dealer seems pretty incompetent what I would do is find another dealer OR go to a tranny shop and have them look at it. Yeah you might need to throw $50 at them but you will get an honest opinion since they have no skin in the game. Take that info back to the dealer and push the repair. Also get @JeepCares involved to open a ticket, it will help you a lot.

YoShaunO

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ecoDiesel
T
I can't really orient that picture to see where your leak is but it sort of looks like over on the linkage area. The good news is it's not your tranny seal since the fluid is red that can only be coming from the t-case.
If they've done your seal twice I'd venture a guess as to that not being the problem.
It might be leaking where the linkage goes into the side of the case. Since your dealer seems pretty incompetent what I would do is find another dealer OR go to a tranny shop and have them look at it. Yeah you might need to throw $50 at them but you will get an honest opinion since they have no skin in the game. Take that info back to the dealer and push the repair. Also get @JeepCares involved to open a ticket, it will help you a lot.
thanks. @JeepCares is involved and I have a case open. I took it to another dealer today. Waiting to hear back from them.

YoShaunO

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR ecoDiesel
@mgroeger Just spoke to the Service Manager. They are replacing the t-case. They believe the casting was bad and/or there is a crack allowing it to leak.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Wolfparty

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Iā€™m running into this issue as well. 2021 JLUR with 2.4K miles.

I noticed a leak underneath the center of the vehicle and took it into the dealer to have it looked at.

They believe the leak is coming from the transfer case gasket where it meets with the transmission oil pan.

Another thing the tech found was that all the bolts on the transmission oil pan were slightly loose / not torqued down all the way.

They are pulling the transfer case now and Iā€™m waiting to hear back on the results.

The timing couldnā€™t be worse as I have a trip to Death Valley planned at the end of the week and it looks like I may have to cancel it. I guess itā€™s better catching it now rather than out there in the middle of the desert.

Wolfparty

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Quick Update: The dealership ended up replacing the input shaft seal but I found a leak in the same spot as soon as I got the vehicle home.

Just dropped it back to the dealership for further troubleshooting.

Looks like my trip is going to get postponed/ cancelled at this point.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Quick Update: The dealership ended up replacing the input shaft seal but I found a leak in the same spot as soon as I got the vehicle home.

Just dropped it back to the dealership for further troubleshooting.

Looks like my trip is going to get postponed/ cancelled at this point.
I was in this boat, the dealership should have also replaced the output shaft seal on the tranny. The reason is you are right there and everything is exposed to do either of those seals so you do BOTH unless there is a bright neon sign pointing to one seal that is 110% certain it is the one leaking.
That was pretty foolish on the dealer's part to not replace both while they were in there. It could be they jacked up the new seal when putting it in and as such it is still leaking. I would take it back and say it's still not right and then tell them to replace both seals if they go back in there.

Wolfparty

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
I was in this boat, the dealership should have also replaced the output shaft seal on the tranny. The reason is you are right there and everything is exposed to do either of those seals so you do BOTH unless there is a bright neon sign pointing to one seal that is 110% certain it is the one leaking.
That was pretty foolish on the dealer's part to not replace both while they were in there. It could be they jacked up the new seal when putting it in and as such it is still leaking. I would take it back and say it's still not right and then tell them to replace both seals if they go back in there.
Thanks for the heads up. I just asked the service manager to have his tech take a look at it first thing tomorrow.
Sponsored