First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I purchased my 21 Sport Altitude unlimited essentially to tow behind my motorhome. All indicators are it will be a hall of fame toad. Easily goes into tow mode before towing but after towing is sometimes very difficult to get transfer case from N to desired position (say 2H). Condensed instructions below. For those flat towing a JL is there some trick or work around if TC shifter will not move? Unfortunately not every camp ground offers a level spot to have the Jeep completely level for unhooking. Thanks!

TO TOW
While engine running shift TRANSMISSION into NEUTRAL
Turn OFF engine
Shift TRANSFER CASE into NEUTRAL
Start engine
Shift TRANSMISSION to both REVERSE & DRIVE to ensure no movement
Turn engine off
Shift TRANSMISSION into PARK

AFTER TOWING
Start engine
Shift TRANSMISSION into NEUTRAL
Turn engine off
Shift TRANSFER CASE to desired position (2H)
Sponsored

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
I would think having the rig pointing up a slight up hill would be better then flat ground. That way, when you are trying to get out of neutral, you can roll slightly backwards. I try not to ever need to shift in/out of N/4Lo on flat ground at a stop. Always a slight roll or stopped somewhere I can get a roll if needed.

My transfer case was a real challenge early on and has gotten better with time.

dirtydawgsrubi

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR
I agree that the need to roll slightly forward or backwards to shift the transfer case back to 2H is a plus no matter what you are using the t case for. I have to move it every so often when towing ours. It’s gotten a lot better since it was new, but we also are in 4H and 4Lo frequently during our travels. Our last 5k mile trip only required me to bump it once. Happy trails!

OP
OP
Twojayhawks

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Thanks Gentlemen! Since new prior to tow set up I have only moved TC from 2H to 4H a measly two times. Other than that nothing and the TC shifter is plenty (firm). When I haven't been able to get it out of N I have opened the driver door, put my shoulder into nudging the Jeep and have been successful. Other than looking like a fool it has worked. I'm hoping the TC gets a little more forgiving with some more use.
Sponsored