Transfer case confusion, little help?

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
I know the 4xe come standard with the rock trac with 4:1 TC. But, I’m confused (and it seems a lot of people are too based on intermixing terminology) about part time/ full time verbiage. So, does the 4xe come with the transfer case selection that places the transfer case in four wheel drive but doesn’t engage front wheels until rear slips?
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I've not seen specifics but I would assume their fulltime all wheel drive works like most other ones with rear wheel drive. The front doesn't engage unless needed to support a slipping rear.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
You have 2Hu, Auto, 4HI, and 4Lo. If you put it in Auto it uses clutches in the transfer case so you can drive on pavement that isn't slick enough for 4Hi, or 4LO. It's just like the system you can get in most Fullsize trucks.

OP
OP

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would have to both or just the ability to shift the transfer case old school where you shift and the front wheels engage all the time.
If you notice, I’m not using full time/ part time as these terms have become confused.

so Gm has the option of a transfer case that has 2H, 4hi or 4lo. OR, one that had 2Hi, 4Hi, 4 Automatic , or 4 lo.
This is the question.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have 2Hu, Auto, 4HI, and 4Lo. If you put it in Auto it uses clutches in the transfer case so you can drive on pavement that isn't slick enough for 4Hi, or 4LO. It's just like the system you can get in most Fullsize trucks.
That was the answer I needed. Thanks. I understand how it all works, just couldn’t get a straight answer from the dealer. 👍

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always kept the truck in 2 Hi and if it was raining I'd throw it into 4 auto.

OP
OP

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here in Colorado, the “automatic” function of the transfer case is super. So many times I am constantly shifting in and out of 4Hi as I move from shady ice packed conditions to sunny dry parts. I’m glad the 4xe has the option. When I lived in the south, you were either of on road or off-road and there was no need for it. Really useable in Co.

And thanks everyone for not getting buried in the weeds, sometimes you ask people on here for the time and six pages later you still don’t know the time but you know how a watch works! 😊

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Are both systems identical mechanically in how they operate in 4H and 4Lo?

The reason I ask is, I’ve heard others worry about the clutch packs on the Auto - but are they still in play when in 4H/4L on that system, or mechanically at that point it’s the same as the other system?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

The reason I ask is, I’ve heard others worry about the clutch packs on the Auto - but are they still in play when in 4H/4L on that system, or mechanically at that point it’s the same as the other system?
That is an incredibly good question. I would also like a definitive answer on this as I have heard both sides of the story.

One being that when going from 4auto to 4high, the clutch packs go from being loosely engaged to fully engaged to prevent any slippage. but in extreme cases, slippage can still occur, thus wearing out the clutch packs.

The other being that when going from 4auto to 4high/4Low, the clutch back is taken out of the picture and a regular geared system is used.

Since my JL has Rock Trac, I am still not sure which method the 4auto system uses to this day.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe

It's my understanding from watching an interview with the Stella powertrain guy that the transfer case is exactly the same in the 4xe Rubicon as it would be in a regular Rubicon. The transmission is where things are different.

OP
OP

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is the same, I was just trying to figure out if it was the one that came with The automatic function in the 4xe. The legacy Rubicon’s come with either.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon

The 4HI/4LO works the same as any Jeep. The clutches are used in Auto only. I've had customers that weren't told how the system works, and left in 4Auto for the life of the vehicle, and they usually need a transfer case at about 100,000 miles. Used sparingly it's a good system. Used all the time is bad.

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2019 Ram 2500
It is the same, I was just trying to figure out if it was the one that came with The automatic function in the 4xe. The legacy Rubicon’s come with either.
Maybe this will help? It appears all the 4XE’s will get the full time option.

Jeep Wrangler JL Transfer case confusion, little help? 83E23AD6-F823-482D-A807-8E9BCF201E4D

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
The 4HI/4LO works the same as any Jeep. The clutches are used in Auto only. I've had customers that weren't told how the system works, and left in 4Auto for the life of the vehicle, and they usually need a transfer case at about 100,000 miles. Used sparingly it's a good system. Used all the time is bad.
So why wouldn’t you get the auto version then?
Sponsored