Transfer case anyone do a DIY swap?

FilthyJLU

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
No I haven’t done the swap yet. This is something I need to add to the list of things to get done.
I’m looking for a Rubi 6 speed transfer case myself, this is a definite swap that I’d like to do
Sponsored

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I’m looking for a Rubi 6 speed transfer case myself, this is a definite swap that I’d like to do
Yeah it’s beneficial that’s for sure. I need to swap transfer cases then figure out what to do with axles.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
I read in a different post that the shafts are in fact different. Spline count is the problem from auto to manual. Not sure if the trans length is the same. It may be

FilthyJLU

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I read in a different post that the shafts are in fact different. Spline count is the problem from auto to manual. Not sure if the trans length is the same. It may be
So it’s easy then, people that have the 6 speed would have to source a 6 speed rubi transfer case and same goes for the auto. Auto with auto.

FilthyJLU

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Yeah it’s beneficial that’s for sure. I need to swap transfer cases then figure out what to do with axles.
Would the driveshafts still work or we’d need Rubi driveshafts to complete the swap?

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I know someone here has swapped transfer cases. Is it a reasonable DIY for someone who can turn a wrench? I do most of my own work, except gears.
I’m considering an atlas or a rubicon t-case for my sport. I had blast wheelin’ today, but could have used lower gearing on some technical sections. My rig is already modded (regeared, lifted, PR44, etc), so t-case or a rear locker (already have a front locker) are next.
I swapped in a 6 speed rubi JL t-case in my sport s. The automatic and 6 speed have different t-cases...so make sure you get the right one. It is a bolt on swap...the sport driveshafts bolt right up and I use a tazer lite to change the ratios in the computer. I've ran it for 1.5 years and the 4:1 ratio makes a big difference crawling. I also swapped in rubi axles....you can read about it in my build thread linked here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...llion-sport-s-full-d44-swap.19973/post-618908

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Unfortunately, you are correct.
Why have you done it 3 times? Did it not work out? I’m searching for a t-case and don’t want to be stuck with the $1000 core charge if they won’t take my sport tcase. Where did you get yours from? And how did you handle the core charge?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Dumb question for anyone that’s done it. I’m assuming once drained it’s obvious how everything lines up? I’m about to pull the trigger on an Atlas. I’m good with all the console/cable and driveshaft stuff, just not sure about aligning it under the Jeep to the [tailshaft?]or whatever comes out of the transmission.
Sponsored