Sponsored

Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (T.W.A.T.)?

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
Who here has done it?

Looking to pick your brain on North to South vs South to North and on daily distance covered/camping site experiences. TIA..
Sponsored

woody8476

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU (Sold), 2021 Rubicon 4xe
I was looking into this a little last year, so wonder if you ever found any legitimate source for your answers? Most of what Iā€˜ve seen online isnā€™t super helpful, detailed, or Jeep-friendly

OP
OP

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I was looking into this a little last year, so wonder if you ever found any legitimate source for your answers? Most of what Iā€˜ve seen online isnā€™t super helpful, detailed, or Jeep-friendly
Unfortunately I never did. I'll probably end up running it South to North at some point this summer only since I think that's how it was intended originally.

tomd

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JL
Here's a short summary, feel free to ask any questions for topics I missed.

My son and I did the trail last May, starting at the south end.
We left Madison in the morning, and started outside Galena around 8:45am.
We completed the trail the next afternoon and drove back to Madison, so only one overnight.
This is basically the shortest option and the other end of the time spectrum is a 4 day trip. Differences being how many excursions you take. For example, time hiking, long lunch at the diner, kayaking, early camp set up, etc. Lot's of fun opportunities to explore on the route. For weather and timing reasons, we did not do these excursions. I wish we would have! So that's my next TWAT trip goal.
The first day we made it to a Black River Falls and stayed at the Castle Mound DNR campground. I would stay here again!
The southern portion of the route is less scenic IMO and is also more pavement. The northern portion is mostly on forest service/sandy trails through the national forest and a lot of fun.
In the afternoon of the second day we made it to Lake Superior and put the front tires in the lake!

Be sure to find the right GPS map, there are a few versions out there, some are targeted at single track. There was one section that we had significant brush along both sides of the wrangler and ended up with pinstripes on both sides. In hindsight, there is an easy bypass to avoid this section if you are concerned about the pinstripes.

Fuel was never a problem, you are always near enough to a small town.
We saw 1 other vehicle on the entire route (non paved sections obviously).

Jeep Wrangler JL Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (T.W.A.T.)? IMG_2393.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (T.W.A.T.)? IMG_2386.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (T.W.A.T.)? IMG_2440.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (T.W.A.T.)? IMG_2436.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (T.W.A.T.)? IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: