DZZNUTTZ

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
So it looks like I will be a contributing degenerate to society? Lol
All I asked for was yay or nay, not for me to be painted the bad guy. The one about the high blood pressure/weak heart makes perfect sense since it is a fact.
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Of course, I'm looking to dump more money into the Jeep... should I or shouldn't I? Main purpose of this is to be loud and extremely obnoxious to those entitled drivers in NYC. Thanks in advance.

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
Of course, I'm looking to dump more money into the Jeep... should I or shouldn't I? Main purpose of this is to be loud and extremely obnoxious to those entitled drivers in NYC. Thanks in advance.
While Chocolate Thunder makes a fair point, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with getting a pair of PIAA deep horns...IF you use them only when needed i.e., defensively.
I drove into the city over a two year period and was hit by a Cab in my lifted XJ. If id had a louder horn, he may...have stayed a tad farther away.
That said, when a man smells like BO and Piss, (as he did),he may have hit me anyway. At least I was able to curse him in his native tongue ;-)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I say no Phil. Here's why:
  • Douches are not likely to change their bad habits in response; the "punishing them" idea may backfire for them to drive even more selfishly or pull out a weapon.
  • While not illegal, it's possible if you shock a driver, douche or bad, and cause an accident with the horn that you could be, in part, on the hook for damages to a vehicle or person. Sometimes it's hard to tell a bad from an obnoxious driver.
  • My uncle use to have, for similar reasons, --for lack of a better way to describe it-- an "ahhrugha" horn. I recall it making everyone laugh, including the offending motorist, and make its point without causing an incident.
  • Wranglers, particularly modded ones are often already seen by other motorists as the obnoxious alpha vehicle on the road. The train horn only establishes that more, along with drivers who run their light bars in normal on-road driving conditions.
  • The roads are safer when we accept that encountering douches are simply going to happen. Personally, I find the 5 most empowering words, which I've
    truthfully used to motorists who were in the wrong, and screamed at me, are "I have a dash cam."

Sponsored

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
YAY! had a 135db one in previous truck. compressor and tank, came in handy for airing down and back up. Was definitely a hoot in the parking garage. I plan on doing a new setup in the JLU. Thinking winch bumper with a tank and compressor up front. If I can work it so the air hose spools out the front like a winch cable that will be a plus. Just be warned more people than ever carry now and there are a lot of short fuses out there. There was a boatload of room behind the bumper of my 04 ram. Came in handy for the airbags when towing a big camper.
Jeep Wrangler JL Train Horn Yay or Nay? P2150271.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Train Horn Yay or Nay? P2150265.JPG

Last edited:

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
No, on the train horn. Especially in this time where someone might be having a bad day and shoot you. I've always wanted to a have a PA system, but too old for those types of shenanigans.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Since we cant mirror smash in a jeep per-se.

Ugh. There was plenty of blame on both sides in that video.

I'm fortunate to live where such behavior is exceedingly rare. That's just as well, too, because smashed mirrors may cause drivers to take the long view that all cyclists are destructive idiots. That's not the case at all (YouTube bullshit notwithstanding), but try to convince someone of this when they're holding a $300.00 mirror replacement invoice.

No to the train horn, YoureNuttz, mmkay?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So it looks like I will be a contributing degenerate to society? Lol
All I asked for was yay or nay, not for me to be painted the bad guy. The one about the high blood pressure/weak heart makes perfect sense since it is a fact.
If you have to ask, it probably means you have doubts it's a good idea. Follow your gut. Take the money and treat you and someone you care about to something good.

Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Just my .02 - if you are doing the train horn, might as well do the Carolina Squat and get a windshield banner that says "locally hated" as well.

Recoil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
Asshatery begets more asshatery.

If you're behind someone and blow a train horn at them, you might just make them double down. You also need to consider if it's legal.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
It's sorta kinda illegal in NYC (I'm a native NY'er).

Section 375/Vehicles & Traffic laws.

1. (a) Every motor vehicle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, shall be provided with adequate brakes and steering mechanism in good working order and sufficient to control such vehicle at all times when the same is in use, and a suitable and adequate horn or other device for signaling, which horn or device shall produce a sound sufficiently loud to serve as a danger warning but shall not be used other than as a reasonable warning nor be unnecessarily loud or harsh.
Sponsored