Trails with camping in Great Lakes region

KCVS

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura and JLUR in KZ
Supposedly, wrangler owners are a tight knit group, so I come VIN in hand asking for help!

My idea of a vacation is loading up a sea kayak and disappear for a week or so island hopping on Superior, or a backpack with a back country permit. My wife would love the destinations... That being said, If she can't bring copious amounts of Monster, tequila, an air mattress, and pillow, Le Creuset cookware, and countless other things that I am not carrying on my back, its not happening. Not to mention, dehydrated food is a non-starter. That being said, she would actually love spending time in the back country.

I have always wanted a wrangler, and this or that got in the way. Now, I am finally in a place where I can get a Rubi, Order is in, checking tracking forums multiple times an hour, and despite the D1 status, it is starting to feel real.

Using the Jeep for overland trips seems to be a good solution, but I have zero off road experience. I do have common sense, and tend to be an annoyingly quick study. Are there any decent trails that lend themselves to backcountry camping around that you would be able to point me to?

Thanks in Advance!
Sponsored

Horse1200s

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Have you looked up the TWAT or TMAT? That’s something I’d consider...

OP
OP
KCVS

KCVS

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura and JLUR in KZ
I have now, thanks for the direction! That will give me a good starting point, as I need to do something (planning a trip) to get my mind off of D1.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I’ve heard the TWAT trail is kinda fun. My buddy and his Raptor group have run that a few times. Nothing serious and not too much that you need 4wd for, but it is a departure from pavement.

There are a number of trails up in around the UP area that you can explore.

Other than that maybe scope out Drummond Island. That I hear is what you make of it, anything from tame to mildly aggressive and if you go during or after a rain the mud is about as slick as snot.

OP
OP
KCVS

KCVS

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura and JLUR in KZ
Kevin in Glendale Heights, huh? Well, that makes two of us. If you see a Granite Rubi, with a HUGE Navy/White kayak on top, I'm the guy waiving. Thanks for the info. I will add Drummond to the list to look at. Yell if you want to grab a beer sometime!

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
HAH, now that is a small world. I’ll have to keep my eye out for you. I know I’m not terribly hard to spot....from SPACE. Currently I’m rolling around in a Crush Orange Rubicon on 37’s.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Drummond Island is a great spot. I always enjoy a swin at fossil beach. The off roading there can be as mild or wild as you want.

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Drummond Island is a great spot. I always enjoy a swin at fossil beach. The off roading there can be as mild or wild as you want.
Drummond is way up north but a great time. be careful and scout your trails, there are some holes up there that have no issues swallowing 37's.

If you go, get the jeep trail app thing. there is a badge for south marble head.

IMG_20180724_171043.jpg
IMG_20180724_123422.jpg
IMG_20180724_131544.jpg

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The run from Leota to St. Helen's is a decent run. Nothing serious, but usually wet when you get east of hyw 18. There is a scramble area in St.Helen. also I like to camp along the High Banks.
Sponsored