Sponsored

Trails in the upper peninsula of Michigan?

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Hi all,

I'm driving up from Chicago to the UP over labor day, where myself and another couple with a JLU will be camping for three nights in the Hiawatha National Forest. I know there is a ton of BLM land up there, but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on some easy and picturesque trails we could take while we're up there. We plan on dedicating at least a full day if not two to finding some trails, so any advice would be appreciated.

I'm running a stock JLURR and she's in a JLU sport, so we lean towards easier trails.

Thanks
Sponsored

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of nice trails near Copper Harbor. Go to copper, then head East.

The Bill Nichols trail also has a neat really neat bridge somewhere on it. I'm doing that next time.

Have also done a lot of wheeling in Newberry State Forest trying to get to Crisp Point and Whitefish Point. Lots of BIG mud holes.

Stamp sands in Gay MI. Air down, some is VERY soft.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trails in the upper peninsula of Michigan? IMG_20181021_121845602

Trails north of Houghton.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trails in the upper peninsula of Michigan? IMG_20180928_121033009_HDR

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Not sure about trails, but Munising/Pictured rocks area has scenic dirt roads. Also should check out Tahquamenon state park for falls and wading in rapids. I know there are challenging roads in the area, but nothing listed as a approved or published ORV route. Lots of old tore up logging roads in the state and national forests up there.
Drummond island is another story, great place to Jeep and visit, but a trip of its own I think. Just came back from Drummond, highly recommend.

Sponsored

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Jeep Wrangler JL Trails in the upper peninsula of Michigan? IMG_20180928_121033009_HDR
Looking at that pic on the sand...obviously autumn and color season - can you recall the specific date or week you were there in this pic? I just moved back here after 35 years and am hoping to get out this autumn for the color... just looking to narrow down the time window and associate it with a location for relative reference.

Thanks!

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

There are a lot of nice trails near Copper Harbor. Go to copper, then head East.

The Bill Nichols trail also has a neat really neat bridge somewhere on it. I'm doing that next time.

Have also done a lot of wheeling in Newberry State Forest trying to get to Crisp Point and Whitefish Point. Lots of BIG mud holes.

IMG_20181021_121845602.jpg

Trails north of Houghton.
IMG_20180928_121033009_HDR.jpg
Love this recs - we're probably going to take you up on all of them, especially the sands photo, that looks amazing. Would you recommend down to like 10 PSI for that? Also, does the Bill Nichols trail allow jeeps? The Pure Michigan website shows its for ATVs/Snowmobiles.

Not sure about trails, but Munising/Pictured rocks area has scenic dirt roads. Also should check out Tahquamenon state park for falls and wading in rapids. I know there are challenging roads in the area, but nothing listed as a approved or published ORV route. Lots of old tore up logging roads in the state and national forests up there.
Drummond island is another story, great place to Jeep and visit, but a trip of its own I think. Just came back from Drummond, highly recommend.
We plan on heading to pictured rocks to kayak for a day, so we'll try to drive around there a bit afterwards. Drummond Island is on our list, but I agree it will be a separate trip. Looks like the local Jeep club did a jamboree earlier this year in the winter; if they do that again, I think we'll try to check it out. Looks crazy fun wheeling in snow.

Near Gwinn, by New Swanzy there are some nice easier trails. This should get you close to the trail: https://goo.gl/maps/kzyMeXbTqxCYYb11A
Thanks! This would be on our way to Copper Harbor, so we'll check it out as we meander up there.

Offroad

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 WK2
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at that pic on the sand...obviously autumn and color season - can you recall the specific date or week you were there in this pic? I just moved back here after 35 years and am hoping to get out this autumn for the color... just looking to narrow down the time window and associate it with a location for relative reference.

Thanks!
That pic was taken Sep 28. It snowed the day before. Weather in the Keewenaw is unpredictable.

Love this recs - we're probably going to take you up on all of them, especially the sands photo, that looks amazing. Would you recommend down to like 10 PSI for that? Also, does the Bill Nichols trail allow jeeps? The Pure Michigan website shows its for ATVs/Snowmobiles.

We plan on heading to pictured rocks to kayak for a day, so we'll try to drive around there a bit afterwards. Drummond Island is on our list, but I agree it will be a separate trip. Looks like the local Jeep club did a jamboree earlier this year in the winter; if they do that again, I think we'll try to check it out. Looks crazy fun wheeling in snow.

Thanks! This would be on our way to Copper Harbor, so we'll check it out as we meander up there.
Where you first enter, the sand is very hard, almost like asphalt. I didn't air down until I got stuck, 10psi should work. Beware, no way to air back up for miles. Come prepared.
I've heard from lots of Jeeps that have been on the Bill Nichols and to me, these bridges are worth it if they're not.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trails in the upper peninsula of Michigan? 1596733902271

Jeep Wrangler JL Trails in the upper peninsula of Michigan? 1596733954044
Sponsored