Trails in Raleigh Area & Basic Off-road Checklist

a23persaud

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys (JLU)
Hi! I’m new to the Jeep world and really want to do some light off-roading in the Raleigh / Durham, NC area. Does anyone have any trail recommendations for a beginner?

I’ve never been off-roading, so maybe a bunny slope to start? Somewhere where I can take the top off, put the Jeep into 4L, and just have some fun without worrying about messing up the Jeep the first time on the trail.

Also, what are the essentials I need to purchase and have with me before hitting the trails?

Would appreciate any advice you may have for a beginner, as well :)

Thanks so much!

-Andrew

E3D79D72-E7FD-4B3D-BEFB-4FAF5947D6C8.jpeg

929965D9-B1A3-43BA-9692-4A50054C12BE.jpeg
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Unfortunately, there’s nothing nearby the Raleigh and Durham area (I’m in Brier Creek). Closest would be Uwharrie in Troy (avoid any trail starting with the letter “D” and you’ll be fine). Some have said the Hurricane Creek or Old House Gap are easy but they are out west towards Asheville.

PM me your number and I can add you to a Group Me chat of those of us in NC for wheeling invites.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You don’t need to buy anything. Just come out with us and we will show you the ropes. If you like it there are a few inexpensive purchases you can make to get started. You can purchase more recovery gear over time. Your Stock Willys can do a lot.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Second on Uwharrie. Most trails you will have no trouble with, except Daniel. Don't try the steep side of Daniel. There is no reason to tear up your jeep just to say you did. Dickey Bell is a badge of honor trail and you could handle it with a good line and spotter. I have climbed Dickey Bell in a WK2 Grand Cherokee. You won't need much gear at Uwharrie. A cooler of drinks/snacks and a garbage bag will get you through the day. There are enough jeepers to lend a hand if needed. The outpost has compressed air to air your tires back up. Chose a day after a rain to keep the dust down and stay on the trails for a very enjoyable day. My avatar was taken at Uwharrie.

OP
OP
a23persaud

a23persaud

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys (JLU)
You don’t need to buy anything. Just come out with us and we will show you the ropes. If you like it there are a few inexpensive purchases you can make to get started. You can purchase more recovery gear over time. Your Stock Willys can do a lot.
Thank you! Can’t wait to get out there! What are the few inexpensive purchases you had in mind?

-Andrew
Sponsored