First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Sooo.9 jeeps and I have never done a real trail.
I dont think I will either in my 392.... but in daughters rubi i would... 2 doors are better for trails right?
So for me, a total noobie, what do I need to know? Can I have an experienced driver take me on a trail in my jeep to teach me hands on?
Its time I stopped just making my jeeps look non-stock and actually used them properly.

<<Umm... if you're just going to respond for attention or to be rude or all "haha 9 jeeps and no trails" then here is my response.....

PĆ²g mo thĆ²in šŸ’š
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

what do I need to know?
Make sure you air down your tires and have away of airing back up after. Have a first aid kit with you. Go slow. Your Jeep will get you through just about anything.

Can I have an experienced driver take me on a trail in my jeep to teach me hands on?
Why not? No better way to learn. Unless extremely experienced, you donā€™t want to go out by yourself anyway.

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
Try finding and joining a local jeep club. They'll have good trails to recommend and you can go out with them and learn the ropes. They should also have recovery gear and can teach you how to use it and show you what you need. Don't wheel solo until you're experienced and you can self recover (get a winch, maxtrax, etc)

Like Dave there said, get a good air compressor that'll fill them up pretty quickly. The regular car ones will take hours to fill large tires. The more cfm, the faster they go

I'd also get some skid plates for the bottom.
Differential skids first. The front diff drain plug design is kinda poopy and can get messed up easily. Don't want to lose your diff fluid on the trail and get stuck
Rear shock mount skids are a good idea, since they hang down pretty low and are easy to hit
After that, upgrade as you do harder trails

Other than that, have fun!

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Iā€™d sign up for a beginners course. A lot you can learn.

If you give a general area of Florida that you are in, Iā€™m sure that you can get some feedback on real off-road courses to attend (I wouldnā€™t give out your actual area though, you drive a pretty recognizable Jeep).

For large Jeep community events you can check out Jeep Jamborees which offer off-road instruction and take people out on guided tours.

https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
2 doors are better for trails right?
It depends. 2 doors have a better break over angle and are generally more maneuverable. With that said, the short wheelbase of the 2 door makes them more tippy and more likely to lift a tire. After wheeling with @chevymitchell for 2 weeks straight (who has a 2 door) thereā€™s no way Iā€™d feel comfortable in a 2 door.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
It depends. 2 doors have a better break over angle and are generally more maneuverable. With that said, the short wheelbase of the 2 door makes them more tippy and more likely to lift a tire. After wheeling with @chevymitchell for 2 weeks straight (who has a 2 door) thereā€™s no way Iā€™d feel comfortable in a 2 door.
Takes a different level of attention to detail for the physics side of wheeling along with throttle control. Otherwise, youā€™ll be laying on your side pretty quick. All depends on what youā€™re willing to try, too. Iā€™d say, one isnā€™t better than the other. Itā€™s very obstacle dependent.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
If you've never been to Colorado you should put it on your bucket list. The major passes aren't difficult in a jeep but the views are extraordinary. As mentioned, air down, have a way to air up, first aid kit, winch is great, go with friends.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Take someone experienced with you. Nothings worse than getting into a situation where you dont know what to do to, and youre stuck trusting your useless passenger to spot your 80k jeep

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Running trails in your Jeep is a super fun activity. You do not need a 2-door and a 392 will do just fine as well. Problem with Florida is I think mud is often a key component to "4-wheelin" in places with mostly flat terrain. I hate mud... Serious hassle to clean up after. I think the east coast in general is a tough place to find good off-roading since private parks are often the only venues. The advice to get with a Jeep club is solid. Then just practice, you will love it.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
Sooo.9 jeeps and I have never done a real trail.
I dont think I will either in my 392.... but in daughters rubi i would... 2 doors are better for trails right?
So for me, a total noobie, what do I need to know? Can I have an experienced driver take me on a trail in my jeep to teach me hands on?
Its time I stopped just making my jeeps look non-stock and actually used them properly.

<<Umm... if you're just going to respond for attention or to be rude or all "haha 9 jeeps and no trails" then here is my response.....

PĆ²g mo thĆ²in šŸ’š
Itā€™s never too late to start!

The motto that I live by is ā€œwhen in doubt, Power out.ā€ Saved my YJ from flipping over once.

Perhaps youā€™re around some Badge of Honor trails. Jeep has a great ā€œBadge of Honor Trailā€ app that shows the location of all these type trails. Iā€™d love to complete some of these, but simply too far away from me currently.

Personally, Iā€™d just go for it without anyoneā€™s assistance (but obviously take it easy till you feel more comfortable doing more technical trails). My wife always wants to learn from Pros, but Iā€™d rather learn through experience and mistakes. She is extremely more sensible than I. šŸ˜‰

Good luck and enjoy getting dirty!

Last edited:

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Download the free AllTrails app, select off road driving trails, and easy level. Then progress up to moderate and eventually hard difficulty level. You will even see Subarus on the easy and some of the moderate trails thus super easy for any stock Wrangler. They even have pictures of the trails so you know what to expect. And usually you can find videos on YouTube by searching the trail name.

https://www.alltrails.com/

Jeep Wrangler JL Trails help AC942815-3FDF-4644-AED5-76ACCD5E3FC0

Jeep Wrangler JL Trails help FF756365-7CC6-44D6-ADF1-51E728F3B92A

Jeep Wrangler JL Trails help 7C653629-8150-443E-B6A1-61276ACA03FF

Jeep Wrangler JL Trails help E9E63E72-4886-4E2C-8D62-973EA6968624

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I got to thinking and it would definitely be a great idea to drive behind someone with a little more experience to help pull you out if you get stuck.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Download the free AllTrails app, select off road driving trails, and easy level. Then progress up to moderate and eventually hard difficulty level. You will even see Subarus on the easy and some of the moderate trails thus super easy for any stock Wrangler. They even have pictures of the trails so you know what to expect. And usually you can find videos on YouTube by searching the trail name.

https://www.alltrails.com/

This looks like a great app. Iā€™ll be downloading it and have my fingers crossed itā€™ll find some trails near me.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
You are starting the right way now by asking questions! I learn the most by watching others. Sometimes you see what to do and sometimes what not To do.

If you go with a group you have lots of help if something goes wrong, and thereā€™s more people ahead of you to watch.

When I first started wheeling I was a ā€œknow it allā€ and it cost me plenty of $$$. I still ask lots of questions and Iā€™ve been at it for awhile now.

OP
OP
Jjirish

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Make sure you air down your tires and have away of airing back up after. Have a first aid kit with you. Go slow. Your Jeep will get you through just about anything.

Why not? No better way to learn. Unless extremely experienced, you donā€™t want to go out by yourself anyway.
Please dont tell me my hun was right about installing an air compressor.... šŸ˜’
Sponsored