Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Indeed. Democratization has arrived to every sector.

In my field, Survey Monkey turned...well, any monkey, into a market researcher overnight. But this had unintended consequences.

There’s a method to the madness of data collection: scientific sampling, questionnaire design, statistics, research methods, analytics, etc. But some executives believed that by buying Survey Monkey, they could hire a high school graduate, give them Survey Monkey and voilá, they had an in-house research department. That was far from the truth. As the old saying goes: garbage in, garbage out.

Thankfully, things have found a happy medium. Businesses learned that it is better to hire the services of a research professional than attempt to do data collection on their own.

YouTube is more entertainment than anything else and, as such, has fewer consequences. But disinformation has become a big problem today, and most of it comes from social media, including YouTube.
100% agree. People don't do enough of their own research, ever!

To quote Dr. Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park:

"You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now"

haha
Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Indeed. Democratization has arrived to every sector.

In my field, Survey Monkey turned...well, any monkey, into a market researcher overnight. But this had unintended consequences.

There’s a method to the madness of data collection: scientific sampling, questionnaire design, statistical analyses, research methods, etc. But some executives believed that by simply buying Survey Monkey, they could hire a high school graduate, give them Survey Monkey and voilá, they had an in-house research department. That was far from the truth. As the old saying goes: garbage in, garbage out.

Thankfully, things have found a happy medium. Businesses have rediscovered that it is better to hire the professional services of a research firm than attempt to do data collection by themselves.

YouTube is more entertainment than anything else and, as such, has fewer real life consequences. But disinformation has become a big problem, and most of it comes from social media like YouTube.
In my world, we boil this down to a simple phrase:

correlation is not causality

Sadly a lot of people don't get that...for a laugh:

https://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
haha. Wow. this thread did not go the direction I was expecting when I opened it.... More people just hating than I expected. Never really understand that because if the content isn't for you, keep searching. Personally, I like having different stuff and having it on in the background. Doesn't mean I watch every second or hang on every word or product description... its just content and I support what they are doing, even if I only get 1 useful thing or 1 possible destination out of it.

LiteBrite - I started watching them and honestly, may sound cheesy, but encouraged me to trade my JK Sahara for a JL Rubi and actually go try some trails in other states I never thought possible. I live in the Midwest and "off-roading" around here means some dumb muddy farm field. They aren't as relatable now because the Stepchild doesn't even have to try at obstacles and they do WAY harder trails than I ever will. But I still watch.

Trail Recon - I love his content because It is generally places I'm not going to make it, like California. I appreciate the narrating and think he's a good story teller. I appreciate his product reviews because sometimes its stuff I don't know about or will ever see. I legit learn stuff form him and appreciate that he daily drives his vehicle and doesn't destroy him.

Bleepin Jeep - Sometimes super helpful how to videos. Some stuff gets a little redneck, but still entertaining. I like that you get exposed to numerous types of vehicles and types of offroading. And Matt is pretty knowledgeable dude and has helped me with questions.

JL Life - originally wasn't my favorite but I've grown to like. Mo is relatable and just trying to do stuff in his garage. He definitely buys his own stuff and I appreciate that from a feedback standpoint.

TJ Mitchell - Not my favorite but the dude is a fabricator and thinks outside the box on his own build for his TJ. To me his trail stuff is less fun to watch because its just trail footage. Trails all start to look the same or become not relatable without the story. His synergy product reviews seem bias but whatever.

Dirt Lifestyle - Probably some of the best content on youtube right now. Talk about fabrication and ingenuity. I don't know shit about welding and its fun to watch. and his trail videos are good too. His editing and story telling or explaining. Super sweet content.

The Story Till Now - stumbled upon recent and super quality story telling. Just fun to watch.

Ponytail Channel - I was a fan... but without even knowing the back story to getting banned (which is kinda interesting), he spits a lot of not great info. He doesn't pay for any upgrades or even for his trips. everything is skewed and not an honest review. I've learned some how-to info from him but i don't value his opinion of products AT ALL. He just posted a pic of some Lux Lighting rock lights and I'm so skeptic I would probably never order them. Also his forum is significantly less informative. There aren't discussions. There is just how he does it. Only EVO, only synergy, only nitto, only his ARB mount... wasn't useful.

Long post... Point is, there is something for everyone. And they're all different. And some call it advertising but I learn a lot about products I've never seen. Or how to install products. Or places that look worth visiting... Only thumbs down I've ever given on YouTube was some offroad channel that wanted to start voicing opinions on political stuff.

I do find it funny how many youtubers installed that synergy brace and said it was the bee's knees but not one negative review. Except maybe JL Life. haha. There are no honest product reviews. People shouldn't be surprised.
Great post.
I love the references to content providers.
The one who is banned---I filter his suggestions. If I wanted to make my Jeep stronger, I'd watch his videos and decide whether the stuff is good or not. When I contacted him about the steering issues we had with our Jeep (before the TSB came out!) he suggested major modifications to fix the problem. We told him "It's the steering box." He said, "Good luck". That was before the TSB came out.

I learned a long time ago as a "young engineer" at 3M, to ask questions.

1. Did it ever work?
2. If it did, what's changed?

No our Jeep never handled well. From the first day! Dealer said, "It's a Jeep Thing"

Thoughts: either design is bad, assembly is bad, or parts are bad when so many complain.

I learned from a good friend (who has passed away) not to throw parts at a problem to solve it, when I don't really understand it! And to look at the simple things first. Thanks Paul Bugo. R.I.P.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
LOL. No kidding. A lot of butthurt in some of the comments. Don't like it, move on. I agree with almost everything you posted and have the same feelings about those channels. There are a number of them I still subscribe to but rarely watch unless the topic looks interesting.

I watch YT more than regular TV these days. The content some people are producing from a technical standpoint is truly amazing. It takes a ton of work to get good quality video and audio let alone get amazing shots that won't bore people and keep content interesting.
agree. I dabbled in YT for years, who hasnt. I was laid up about a year ago and started watching it more. Some of it's crap, but a lot of it is as you said good quality video. I'd watch it over a lot of other non-YT content.

Truly the world with REAL people are at your disposal vs some the absolute crap I see elsewhere.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L