Sponsored

TrailRecon spotted last Saturday outside of Silverton, CO

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I can camp (very comfortably) for a week with my deepsleep jeep air mattress, favorite camp chair, backpack with jetboil and mountain house meals, slumberjack roadhouse tarp, and an ice chest, two 10L MSR dromedary water bags with water from home. All that other stuff is just for bragging rights and glamping.
Aaaamen!

Absolutely no problem with people buying stuff for the perfect camping experience, but this is camping happiness for me:

- sleep in the Jeep - check
- camp chair - check
- mountain house meals - check
- ice chest - check

My favorite YT is Primal Outdoors It's not a Jeep, no rock crawling, no "adventures", simply a guy and his two dogs enjoying the outdoors.
Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I stumbled onto the TrailRecon Youtube channel when I was researching Jeeps. I am still subscribed. I hardly watch though. I will fast forward and watch short sections while the group is on the move.

UrbanCowboyAZ

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JLURD, ā€˜02 TJ
Occupation
Real Estate
The problem is the YouTube format prioritizing quantity over quality. They want 3+ videos/week at 10+ minutes (or at least they did at one point, not sure if this is still what they want). It would be great if creators could just create the content they want, not what YouTube wants. Now obviously they still can, but thereā€™s no monetary incentive to take that route.

It seems like thereā€™s a sweet spot a lot of channels hit where their videography, editing, and storytelling skills make big jumps from their early videos, but they haven't become full-blown commercials yet. And they still usually have things to talk about, items to install, and trips to do that arenā€™t repetitive. Eventually they just run out of fresh things to do.

TR fits this pretty well I think, but I still find some of his adventures enjoyable

Lite Brite was pretty good when they were wheeling a fresh JL pretty hard and often, but eventually they built such a beast with hemi and axles that It became less-relatable to what I do, especially when they started trailering multiple vehicles around. Now as theyā€™ve grown, theyā€™re basically a just an infomercial.

Right now, I think The Story Til Now is right in the sweet spot. Great videography, good story telling, and fun-looking trips. I hope heā€™s able to stay in that zone.

I started watching @Casey250 when I was fiending for ecodiesel content a few months ago while waiting for mine. I enjoy his stuff a lot too, especially the adventures with The Story TIL Now sewing beautiful BC. So thanks dude! Keep it up.

Iā€™ve met Brad from TR, Kevin from Lite Brite, Mischiefmaker, and a couple of others over the last few years and they all seem like genuinely good people who truly appreciate their viewers and what they get to do for a career. So I fully understand why they end up turning into commercials as they gain followers and want to continue to grow their business so that they can keep doing what they love. But it does seem like there is a sweet spot and that a time comes when they lose their freshness and become commercial-like.

There are a bunch of others out there I didnā€™t mention that I enjoy watching as well. And the good news is that there are always new people bringing their own style and location. Maybe Iā€™ll give it a whirl too.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I used to watch a channel called PowerAddicts I think, just a middle-aged redneck fixing his YJ, back when I had a YJ. That was some good non-commercial stuff right there. Plus I could relate to the guy because heā€™s just trying to keep the damn thing running like i was.

I got some help from Chris Fix and Bleepin Jeep now and again too.

Only other stuff I really can stand on YouTube is RedLetterMedia for their movie reviews. The Plinkett reviews, half in the bag, best of the worst, etc.

Casey250

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR | 2020 JLUR-D | 2022 Demonator
Occupation
Video Creator
The problem is the YouTube format prioritizing quantity over quality. They want 3+ videos/week at 10+ minutes (or at least they did at one point, not sure if this is still what they want). It would be great if creators could just create the content they want, not what YouTube wants. Now obviously they still can, but thereā€™s no monetary incentive to take that route.

It seems like thereā€™s a sweet spot a lot of channels hit where their videography, editing, and storytelling skills make big jumps from their early videos, but they haven't become full-blown commercials yet. And they still usually have things to talk about, items to install, and trips to do that arenā€™t repetitive. Eventually they just run out of fresh things to do.

Right now, I think The Story Til Now is right in the sweet spot. Great videography, good story telling, and fun-looking trips. I hope heā€™s able to stay in that zone.

I started watching @Casey250 when I was fiending for ecodiesel content a few months ago while waiting for mine. I enjoy his stuff a lot too, especially the adventures with The Story TIL Now sewing beautiful BC. So thanks dude! Keep it up.
Thanks for watching our channels! I really appreciate all the support i've had from all the awesome viewers and I know Shaun does too. We are trying to make some more videos together over the next few months.. Actually we are going away for 9 days next week and then 4 again in oct on some awesome adventures.

From my perspective, I like to install stuff and build my Jeep and so I really try to keep 'most' videos that are featuring a product more about the install or the decision process going into mod and my Jeep rather then promoting products for the sake of promoting products. I turn down TONS of stuff i'd never use or brands I wouldn't consider using and I try to be ultra clear if a product was given to me.

I've really found that I love the travel aspect and sharing that adventure and I think I am going to focus on 'automotive travel' as a main staple of my content. I have endless things I want to do and places to see and I think it doesn't always have to be about beating up our Jeeps or going on crazy extreme adventures. I want to try some new ways of telling the story of travel over the next year and about having a good time and having all you guys come along too.

I don't think ill run out of ideas putting out 1 video a week. I do work full time in addition to making my videos so I don't think ill ever fully be able to 'please the youtube algorithm' but I try for 2 when I have something extra to talk about in the garage or news. Making Youtube videos is an absolute insane amount of time investment, I love it, but its a major hobby to have. Maybe one day I'll do it full time, but the goal has always been to just to get to a point where maybe it will offset the crazy costs of all these adventures (and I live on an island so its $200 just to leave and come back every time haha).

I truly appreciate all the awesome comments and messages I get about the videos. Its pretty humbling to have so many people watching the videos I make. It is why I try to make a point of replying to every single comment, and it can be hundreds and hundreds a week sometimes.

Ok ill stop rambling. This is a very interesting thread though, I have read most of it ( I've been travelling for the last 4 days).

~ Casey250

Sponsored

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2D Manual
I have started watching those 2 guys from British Columbia you mentioned. I am getting a new lift and suspension, cage rack and a RTT for next summer. Watching them going into the Kootenay a few weeks back was awesome. I am planning on going away for several trips lasting up to 7 days next summer and BC is absolutely gorgeous.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I appreciate Brad's posts. He seems to have content that appeals to people that are just starting...so he's helping feed new people in.And that's good.
I watch Chris of Venture4WD. He put his Rubi on its side in Quebec and somehow survived.
And there are others too. [Banned Site] for another...great videos.

Long long time ago I read a number of 4WD magazines. One writer passed away. His articles were incredible. He advocated elegance in driving. Saving the environment.

I hate seeing territory closed, and even walking trails closed.

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm sort of new here. Whats the (Banned Site) thing that shows up on some posts?

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
For me, I was amazed at the distance he would cover from week to week. One week he is Washington State, the next Arizona, then Texas. Pretty cool to see different parts of America. Please don't overlook that he eats a hell of a lot of Cheez Its!

Another channel that was very similar in some ways (living in a Jeep, traveling from campsite to campsite) although their demeanors could not have been more different was IamJake. Similar to Chris, except instead of traveling to campsites and eating grilled cheese, Jake was traveling to campsites trying to fix his YJ mocked up to look like a CJ and eating banana pancakes.

That said, I am really craving some new Jeep content. Any recommendations are appreciated!
Justin has some good quality content, his photography is amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/c/JustinBMcBride/featured

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I'm sort of new here. Whats the (Banned Site) thing that shows up on some posts?
Some forums, apparently including this one, have a list of sites that they will not allow posters to reference. i am uncertain what the site In question here is or why this forum apparently doesnā€™t even want you posting itā€™s name (And automatically adds [banned site] instead).

Sponsored

UrbanCowboyAZ

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JLURD, ā€˜02 TJ
Occupation
Real Estate
Thanks for watching our channels! I really appreciate all the support i've had from all the awesome viewers and I know Shaun does too. We are trying to make some more videos together over the next few months.. Actually we are going away for 9 days next week and then 4 again in oct on some awesome adventures.

From my perspective, I like to install stuff and build my Jeep and so I really try to keep 'most' videos that are featuring a product more about the install or the decision process going into mod and my Jeep rather then promoting products for the sake of promoting products. I turn down TONS of stuff i'd never use or brands I wouldn't consider using and I try to be ultra clear if a product was given to me.

I've really found that I love the travel aspect and sharing that adventure and I think I am going to focus on 'automotive travel' as a main staple of my content. I have endless things I want to do and places to see and I think it doesn't always have to be about beating up our Jeeps or going on crazy extreme adventures. I want to try some new ways of telling the story of travel over the next year and about having a good time and having all you guys come along too.

I don't think ill run out of ideas putting out 1 video a week. I do work full time in addition to making my videos so I don't think ill ever fully be able to 'please the youtube algorithm' but I try for 2 when I have something extra to talk about in the garage or news. Making Youtube videos is an absolute insane amount of time investment, I love it, but its a major hobby to have. Maybe one day I'll do it full time, but the goal has always been to just to get to a point where maybe it will offset the crazy costs of all these adventures (and I live on an island so its $200 just to leave and come back every time haha).

I truly appreciate all the awesome comments and messages I get about the videos. Its pretty humbling to have so many people watching the videos I make. It is why I try to make a point of replying to every single comment, and it can be hundreds and hundreds a week sometimes.

Ok ill stop rambling. This is a very interesting thread though, I have read most of it ( I've been travelling for the last 4 days).

~ Casey250
I thought the idea you mentioned in one of your recent videos about taking your Corvette for an adventure was a great idea. I have a Lotus Evora and whether Iā€™m in one of my Jeeps or my Lotus I just love getting out in nature in some capacity and love anything with motors, anything that gets me out of the house and ironically, gets me off of YouTube. So at least with me, the Corvette trip sounded like something Iā€™d love to watch.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase

Casey250

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR | 2020 JLUR-D | 2022 Demonator
Occupation
Video Creator
I thought the idea you mentioned in one of your recent videos about taking your Corvette for an adventure was a great idea. I have a Lotus Evora and whether Iā€™m in one of my Jeeps or my Lotus I just love getting out in nature in some capacity and love anything with motors, anything that gets me out of the house and ironically, gets me off of YouTube. So at least with me, the Corvette trip sounded like something Iā€™d love to watch.
We just got back. Itll be uploaded first week of Oct.

smarshall

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Some forums, apparently including this one, have a list of sites that they will not allow posters to reference. i am uncertain what the site In question here is or why this forum apparently doesnā€™t even want you posting itā€™s name (And automatically adds [banned site] instead).
I had the same question when I joined. This google search should help. He is referred to as 'ponytail guy' on most posts. More

Last edited:

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I had the same question when I joined. This google search should help. He is referred to as 'ponytail guy' on most posts. More
The internet is infinite. And since nature abhors a vacuum, egos will expand to fit.

I will say that Brad seems to be a genuinely humble guy and I don't think I've seen wrong/dangerous advice on his channel. Can't say that for some other channels.
Sponsored

Last edited: