Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Still pretty young.
Time is something money can't buy (while still being abled bodied).
Take the trip and make sure your bases are covered with the job.
Thanks man, I appreciate it :whew:
Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Shocked to see that Matt's Offroad Recovery hasn't been mentioned yet. I resisted clicking for a while because I knew he'd make me regret selling my XJs, but I'm glad I did. I hope he can resist the typical YouTube arc.
I wonder what happened between Matt and Casey?? Casey just disappeared from Matt's channel.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I can camp (very comfortably) for a week with my deepsleep jeep air mattress, favorite camp chair, backpack with jetboil and mountain house meals, slumberjack roadhouse tarp, and an ice chest, two 10L MSR dromedary water bags with water from home. All that other stuff is just for bragging rights and glamping.

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Well, you aren't wrong about that to an extent. I believe he took to the road after his divorce. But he's been on the road alone a long time now. He has said in some past episodes that it's hard to meet people while living that lifestyle but that he was looking for someone to share his life. He has mentioned going on a date at least once before.

His videos are released once a week and they average under an hour, something like 40 minutes or so. So, yeah, there's a lot he's not showing us. He does go into town to do his life maintenance, to treat himself with Pizza and other foods at quirky restaurants. He has stayed in some hotels here and there when it's been necessary. He's shown some of this. My guess is he feels this is stuff that people might find boring and there are tons of Youtube channels that do travelogs like that. His channel focuses on the outdoor/scenery/camping part of it and some of his soul searching.

I happen to like his videos and find his lifestyle interesting. To each his own, I guess.
I watch this channel just for the German Shorthaired Pointer. That little guy is a hoot!
The dogs on a lot of these channels are the stars.

Sponsored

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just to be clear.. Though I'm into the minimalist approach, I think Brad and the folks at Trail Recon have a great channel and I've learned a bunch watching it. They are obviously passionate about what they do and always seem to be having a great time enjoying their Jeeps and the outdoors. Their message is positive and uplifting and with all the negative crap in the world it is refreshing to watch. I wish them nothing but success! I hope someday I get to sample some of Marco's amazing food!!

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I think he films most of what make up his days. He's for the most part alone. He does visit friends in different towns and cities and I'm sure that's how he met this gal. Has had anther gal on the road with him a year or so back. He has demons, you can tell. Who doesn't though.
Demons? Not me, I’m perfect. So are you. LOL. Seriously, your point is well taken.

I don’t know if he has demons or not. I view his (and all of YouTube lifestyle stuff) channel as a depiction of what the host wants us to see. For all I or any of us know, the Chris may actually out partying 4 nights a week at the local watering hole. He may be extremely social and his entire journey may be as well. But we only see what he wants to portray and what he thinks that his viewer segment wants to see.

all that said, I did watch a recent video of that included the disembodied voice of a woman. Her voice was recorded but she was not. Has she been video’d? If so, what I am about to say is irrelevant...... if she has not been video’d but only had her voice recorded, for me, that feels weird. I totally understand that she may not wish to be on video. It wouldn’t be my cup of tea either. But, just a voice from “stage right” is kinda weird.

Chris has a real knack of videography, editing, and storytelling and I am surprised that he has made a decision to only include a disembodied voice. To me, it would have been easier just to leave her out of the videos completely and let their private lives remain just that, private.

but, again, his channel and he gets to decide. I just choose whether or not to watch.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Demons? Not me, I’m perfect. So are you. LOL. Seriously, your point is well taken.

I don’t know if he has demons or not. I view his (and all of YouTube lifestyle stuff) channel as a depiction of what the host wants us to see. For all I or any of us know, the Chris may actually out partying 4 nights a week at the local watering hole. He may be extremely social and his entire journey may be as well. But we only see what he wants to portray and what he thinks that his viewer segment wants to see.

all that said, I did watch a recent video of that included the disembodied voice of a woman. Her voice was recorded but she was not. Has she been video’d? If so, what I am about to say is irrelevant...... if she has not been video’d but only had her voice recorded, for me, that feels weird. I totally understand that she may not wish to be on video. It wouldn’t be my cup of tea either. But, just a voice from “stage right” is kinda weird.

Chris has a real knack of videography, editing, and storytelling and I am surprised that he has made a decision to only include a disembodied voice. To me, it would have been easier just to leave her out of the videos completely and let their private lives remain just that, private.

but, again, his channel and he gets to decide. I just choose whether or not to watch.
I just hopes he just the front sway bar disco sorted out. lol

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I can camp (very comfortably) for a week with my deepsleep jeep air mattress, favorite camp chair, backpack with jetboil and mountain house meals, slumberjack roadhouse tarp, and an ice chest, two 10L MSR dromedary water bags with water from home. All that other stuff is just for bragging rights and glamping.
And a shovel to dig a hole each morning.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
I like his channel, but I agree with you. The more I'm getting into overlanding and "getting away", I'm realizing I really don't need all that much. For a weekend getaway, or even a four day getaway, I can do just fine with my igloo cooler that saves the food for 4 days no issues, and I don't need a fridge. I don't even have a rooftop tent, just a 6 person popup tent that literally takes 5 minutes to setup, and two self inflating mattresses for 2 to 3 people to sleep very comfortably. It's like having a master bedroom outdoors. No laptops, just really getting away from all the $h1tty world news feeds and social media.
I appreciate his channel for the general trails they hit and some of his info videos, but it also made me realize I'm not really into overlanding. So I guess I'm thankful for it, because it's saving me a ton of money lol.

That being said, I think he's a really good presenter and absolutely watch all of his new videos.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Lol.
It’s all sponsored content. I really liked his videos when he was just taking you along for trail rides. Now it’s just an advertisement channel like the rest. Good for him on his success. Not interesting to watch anymore. Luckily there’s 95,000 off road channels on YouTube to choose from.
Other than Ronny Dahl, there aren't many--if any?--big off roading channels that aren't glorified ads. Everyone's got to eat, so I get it, but sometimes it gets off-putting and cringey (like a lot of 4wd Action/24-7's content).

(I do like 4wd 24-7, FWIW, but it is what it is.)
Sponsored