Sponsored

TrailRecon spotted last Saturday outside of Silverton, CO

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You tube wants videos that are over 10 minutes. That’s why there are a lot of 10min and 3 second videos out there. I don’t know if they “pay more” or whatever but, supposedly, that is the deal.

I think that it is VERY hard to fill 10 minutes of content multiple times a week. There really are only 3 ways to fill Off-road content: 1) talk about something, 2) bolt something on, 3)videos on trail.

personally, while I am amazed at the truly “pro-level” videography of many of these channels, how many minutes of a Jeep rolling by the camera can I stand? so that leaves 1 and 2. If the host spends a lot of time bolting stuff on, he becomes a “gear head” to many. That leaves #1. But, if the host spends too much time talking, he is “blathering” to many.

I assume that its really hard to find the right balance ..... really hard. To do it once might not be too hard but over and over and over with fresh content, cannot be easy. I am amazed at the quality and content of many of these amateur video productions. To me, many of them rival pro productions but without directors, producers, scriptwriters, lighting folks, sound folks, video folks, pre-shoot scouts, etc. etc.

there are channels that I watch (they all have faults as does pro-level production) and there channels that I can’t stand. For me, it boils down to the ‘demeanor and vibe“ of the host, I think.
Yep, Expedition whatever here just posted his vid on the Mopar tailgate table. The first 11 minutes is just talking and showing a very basic install that could be covered in ~2:00 of concise video.

The level of production was impressive (speaking as a lay person) but I don't need sexy shots slowly panning along the length of the table, left to right and top to bottom. It's a tailgate table FFS.

I don't mean to pick on Expedition whoever, it's merely an example of the animal YT and YT rules have created.
Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I think that red jeep spent 10 minutes in one video explaining why everyone needs a 300 dollar Roam plastic storage case. I love watching videos about exploring but the product review/pushing gets ridiculous.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Shocked to see that Matt's Offroad Recovery hasn't been mentioned yet. I resisted clicking for a while because I knew he'd make me regret selling my XJs, but I'm glad I did. I hope he can resist the typical YouTube arc.
Matt’s Offroad is great. Low budget and right to the point. Eventually the pull of YouTube stardom may ruin his channel but right now it’s fun to see what situations people get stuck in.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Good group of guys. Would love to have that Patriot Camper but damn, lol.

Gotta catch up with Marco and that wrap. That's new to me.
Yeah. They admit it's not for anyone other than hardcore trail-crawlers with the time, but $35k for a utility trailer...even if I could, I wouldn't.

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I like Venture4wd because I don't feel like Chris is always showing off his latest gadgets, though is ursaminor is pretty amazing. Although he's kind of quiet, he just seems like he is out there doing his own thing. He's been traveling for three years now and at times he has exposed himself as vulnerable and lonely, and I like that. Also, his camera work and editing is quite good and I appreciate the time and effort he puts into it.
Got himself a gf now :)
Hope it works out.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
He wouldn’t be able to afford a $70,000 Gladiator Rubicon without making endless YouTube videos that try to convince us to buy crap we don’t need.
There are a lot of youtubers like that. If he/they go somewhere I want to go or do something I want to watch, then I watch and ignore the extraneous stuff. If he makes a video about best lights to bolt to your hood, I probably wouldn't watch that one.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Why

Why surprising? Chris seems like a good enough guy.
My answer would be that his channel presents a depiction of a solitary, if not, lonely walk through this phase of his life. While I have not seen all of his episodes, the ones that I have seen are nothing more than him, his Jeep, his grilled cheese, and the Forest. he doesn’t seem to use his journey as a way to meet people, explore the history of the place, delve into the richness of the area or any of its people. Heck, it seems like he travels the country without ever meeting another soul. Given that, it would seem inconsistent that he actually met and talked to another human, let alone a woman, who would become part of the journey.

To me, his travels get to be monotonous and lonely And lack the richness of the human experience. I personally would not want to spend a couple of years alone in the Forest, driving tens of thousands of miles alone with my Jeep, eating grilled cheese Sandwiches alone. Alone. I would want to meet new people. Talk to them. Learn and engage. Take some guided tours. Learn some history. Stay in a town occasionally and talk to locals in the local bar. Talk to a waitress in the restaurant and stay at the occasional hotel.

That is way I stopped watching his channel. I actually find.... for me personally.... the channel to be depressingly solitary and devoid of the human experience. And, I consider myself to be a bit of a loner. Yet, I still feel that way about his content.

Are his actual experiences (rather than what is portrayed) far more engaging with other people? IDK. But, if they are, he has chosen not to include those experiences in most of his content.

Sponsored

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
My answer would be that his channel presents a depiction of a solitary, if not, lonely walk through this phase of his life...
Well, you aren't wrong about that to an extent. I believe he took to the road after his divorce. But he's been on the road alone a long time now. He has said in some past episodes that it's hard to meet people while living that lifestyle but that he was looking for someone to share his life. He has mentioned going on a date at least once before.

His videos are released once a week and they average under an hour, something like 40 minutes or so. So, yeah, there's a lot he's not showing us. He does go into town to do his life maintenance, to treat himself with Pizza and other foods at quirky restaurants. He has stayed in some hotels here and there when it's been necessary. He's shown some of this. My guess is he feels this is stuff that people might find boring and there are tons of Youtube channels that do travelogs like that. His channel focuses on the outdoor/scenery/camping part of it and some of his soul searching.

I happen to like his videos and find his lifestyle interesting. To each his own, I guess.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Why

Why surprising? Chris seems like a good enough guy.
He seems like he needs a T shot or two. As if he's always 3 minutes away from crying.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
My answer would be that his channel presents a depiction of a solitary, if not, lonely walk through this phase of his life. While I have not seen all of his episodes, the ones that I have seen are nothing more than him, his Jeep, his grilled cheese, and the Forest. he doesn’t seem to use his journey as a way to meet people, explore the history of the place, delve into the richness of the area or any of its people. Heck, it seems like he travels the country without ever meeting another soul. Given that, it would seem inconsistent that he actually met and talked to another human, let alone a woman, who would become part of the journey.

To me, his travels get to be monotonous and lonely And lack the richness of the human experience. I personally would not want to spend a couple of years alone in the Forest, driving tens of thousands of miles alone with my Jeep, eating grilled cheese Sandwiches alone. Alone. I would want to meet new people. Talk to them. Learn and engage. Take some guided tours. Learn some history. Stay in a town occasionally and talk to locals in the local bar. Talk to a waitress in the restaurant and stay at the occasional hotel.

That is way I stopped watching his channel. I actually find.... for me personally.... the channel to be depressingly solitary and devoid of the human experience. And, I consider myself to be a bit of a loner. Yet, I still feel that way about his content.

Are his actual experiences (rather than what is portrayed) far more engaging with other people? IDK. But, if they are, he has chosen not to include those experiences in most of his content.
I think he films most of what make up his days. He's for the most part alone. He does visit friends in different towns and cities and I'm sure that's how he met this gal. Has had anther gal on the road with him a year or so back. He has demons, you can tell. Who doesn't though.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
They all end up the same imo. There is a formula to their success and making money. They all try to follow it once they move in subscribers and views. I sub to most of them honestly and just watch what interests me. TR is great but if I'm laying in bed at 10 something barely hanging on to what's left in the day, Brad will assure I go to sleep. LB is fun to watch it you don't want to think or really learn much, it's all mostly entertainment, although occasional they do provide some good off-roading info. Love the road that choose me guy. The story to now. There are so many Matt's off recovery, jl life, other Jeep site guy, jk Jeep and gears.

Me bring new to jeeps and off-roading and even new to working on a vehicle myself I like to listen listen listen and listen some more. Every channel has helped me learn how things work a bit more here and there. 3 channi might install the same lift but I'll get different jewels about how to do it from each channel.

They all are pushing products. And if you are already all knowledgeable in vehicles, jeeps, what products you like, and what kind of off-roading you want to do then non of them probably provide much value to you. Other than that it comes down to personally and delivery method.
Sponsored