Sponsored

TrailRecon spotted last Saturday outside of Silverton, CO

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I had the same question when I joined. This google search should help. He is referred to as 'ponytail guy' on most posts. More
Yep that will get you there. He actually has great how to’s. No idea all the drama and why folks hate him so much. And don’t really care. I definitely find many of his how to videos helpful.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I watch a bunch of YT content. Mostly to get idea's since I'll be doing the same thing unless it's too much work. lol

I like pretty much all of them. A few things like the constant food being made has me fast forwarding to get past it. How many times should I watch Venture4wd make a grilled cheese? lol

Product reviews are pretty annoying too but I get why they do it but it's still annoying. Doubt I'll do it unless I get to be honest. I really dont need the money but I'll take it if I can be honest.

Most of the guys I watch are tech geeks. Nothing wrong with that but personally I wont load up my jeep with all the gadgets

But by FAR the most annoying thing about these blogs are giving GPS coordinates. Some of these guys find the coolest spots and just yap out the spot or make you pay for them. All I can think of is some poor slob having his favorite spot on earth to take his wife and kids to be alone and now a traffic jam beat him to it.

But it's not even that so much. As jeepers we are all explorers and WE want to find the spots ourselves. That is part of the fun and what makes most of us tick if you think about it.

I get some make money off the GPS coordinates but IMO one should donate for the entertainment value and NOT anything else. Tell em to keep his tracks and go find your own adventure!!

Justafish

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I skimmed through this discussion and didn't see anyone talk about GrizzlynBear. They dont do much off-roading but they sure are overlanding. If youre looking for a good overlanding channel give em a go. They do drive a Defender so maybe this isnt the crowd..

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I skimmed through this discussion and didn't see anyone talk about GrizzlynBear. They dont do much off-roading but they sure are overlanding. If youre looking for a good overlanding channel give em a go. They do drive a Defender so maybe this isnt the crowd..
I watch them. Great stuff. I also watch another guy and gal team from oz. I forget their name but they were great until they got arrested in Iran for using a drone. They got out of jail with a lot work from government officials.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
haha. Wow. this thread did not go the direction I was expecting when I opened it.... More people just hating than I expected. Never really understand that because if the content isn't for you, keep searching. Personally, I like having different stuff and having it on in the background. Doesn't mean I watch every second or hang on every word or product description... its just content and I support what they are doing, even if I only get 1 useful thing or 1 possible destination out of it.

LiteBrite - I started watching them and honestly, may sound cheesy, but encouraged me to trade my JK Sahara for a JL Rubi and actually go try some trails in other states I never thought possible. I live in the Midwest and "off-roading" around here means some dumb muddy farm field. They aren't as relatable now because the Stepchild doesn't even have to try at obstacles and they do WAY harder trails than I ever will. But I still watch.

Trail Recon - I love his content because It is generally places I'm not going to make it, like California. I appreciate the narrating and think he's a good story teller. I appreciate his product reviews because sometimes its stuff I don't know about or will ever see. I legit learn stuff form him and appreciate that he daily drives his vehicle and doesn't destroy him.

Bleepin Jeep - Sometimes super helpful how to videos. Some stuff gets a little redneck, but still entertaining. I like that you get exposed to numerous types of vehicles and types of offroading. And Matt is pretty knowledgeable dude and has helped me with questions.

JL Life - originally wasn't my favorite but I've grown to like. Mo is relatable and just trying to do stuff in his garage. He definitely buys his own stuff and I appreciate that from a feedback standpoint.

TJ Mitchell - Not my favorite but the dude is a fabricator and thinks outside the box on his own build for his TJ. To me his trail stuff is less fun to watch because its just trail footage. Trails all start to look the same or become not relatable without the story. His synergy product reviews seem bias but whatever.

Dirt Lifestyle - Probably some of the best content on youtube right now. Talk about fabrication and ingenuity. I don't know shit about welding and its fun to watch. and his trail videos are good too. His editing and story telling or explaining. Super sweet content.

The Story Till Now - stumbled upon recent and super quality story telling. Just fun to watch.

Ponytail Channel - I was a fan... but without even knowing the back story to getting banned (which is kinda interesting), he spits a lot of not great info. He doesn't pay for any upgrades or even for his trips. everything is skewed and not an honest review. I've learned some how-to info from him but i don't value his opinion of products AT ALL. He just posted a pic of some Lux Lighting rock lights and I'm so skeptic I would probably never order them. Also his forum is significantly less informative. There aren't discussions. There is just how he does it. Only EVO, only synergy, only nitto, only his ARB mount... wasn't useful.

Long post... Point is, there is something for everyone. And they're all different. And some call it advertising but I learn a lot about products I've never seen. Or how to install products. Or places that look worth visiting... Only thumbs down I've ever given on YouTube was some offroad channel that wanted to start voicing opinions on political stuff.

I do find it funny how many youtubers installed that synergy brace and said it was the bee's knees but not one negative review. Except maybe JL Life. haha. There are no honest product reviews. People shouldn't be surprised.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Any poser with a camera is now a “content producer.”

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a bad thing? I mean if its "good content", they get views and if its not, they don't. Seems very no harm, no foul.
It depends. If half of the videos out there are “good”, sure; if 20% of them are “good”...is that a good thing...?

I see too many videos on YouTube where you can tell the guy just needed to fill his content quota for the week to get monetized by YouTube, and that was it.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It depends. If half of the videos out there are “good”, sure; if 20% of them are “good”...is that a good thing...?
Doesn't hurt anything. I don't think. That's the captivation about anyone being able to throw something out on the web.

I get what you're saying though. Like, I have at least 3 youtube channels that I can't stand... but I still watch them sometimes. Mostly to see what dumb shit they're gonna post this time. haha. Then I feel guilty for giving them a view. But even then, no harm other than supporting an idiot.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
haha. Wow. this thread did not go the direction I was expecting when I opened it.... More people just hating than I expected. Never really understand that because if the content isn't for you, keep searching. Personally, I like having different stuff and having it on in the background. Doesn't mean I watch every second or hang on every word or product description... its just content and I support what they are doing, even if I only get 1 useful thing or 1 possible destination out of it.

LiteBrite - I started watching them and honestly, may sound cheesy, but encouraged me to trade my JK Sahara for a JL Rubi and actually go try some trails in other states I never thought possible. I live in the Midwest and "off-roading" around here means some dumb muddy farm field. They aren't as relatable now because the Stepchild doesn't even have to try at obstacles and they do WAY harder trails than I ever will. But I still watch.

Trail Recon - I love his content because It is generally places I'm not going to make it, like California. I appreciate the narrating and think he's a good story teller. I appreciate his product reviews because sometimes its stuff I don't know about or will ever see. I legit learn stuff form him and appreciate that he daily drives his vehicle and doesn't destroy him.

Bleepin Jeep - Sometimes super helpful how to videos. Some stuff gets a little redneck, but still entertaining. I like that you get exposed to numerous types of vehicles and types of offroading. And Matt is pretty knowledgeable dude and has helped me with questions.

JL Life - originally wasn't my favorite but I've grown to like. Mo is relatable and just trying to do stuff in his garage. He definitely buys his own stuff and I appreciate that from a feedback standpoint.

TJ Mitchell - Not my favorite but the dude is a fabricator and thinks outside the box on his own build for his TJ. To me his trail stuff is less fun to watch because its just trail footage. Trails all start to look the same or become not relatable without the story. His synergy product reviews seem bias but whatever.

Dirt Lifestyle - Probably some of the best content on youtube right now. Talk about fabrication and ingenuity. I don't know shit about welding and its fun to watch. and his trail videos are good too. His editing and story telling or explaining. Super sweet content.

The Story Till Now - stumbled upon recent and super quality story telling. Just fun to watch.

Ponytail Channel - I was a fan... but without even knowing the back story to getting banned (which is kinda interesting), he spits a lot of not great info. He doesn't pay for any upgrades or even for his trips. everything is skewed and not an honest review. I've learned some how-to info from him but i don't value his opinion of products AT ALL. He just posted a pic of some Lux Lighting rock lights and I'm so skeptic I would probably never order them. Also his forum is significantly less informative. There aren't discussions. There is just how he does it. Only EVO, only synergy, only nitto, only his ARB mount... wasn't useful.

Long post... Point is, there is something for everyone. And they're all different. And some call it advertising but I learn a lot about products I've never seen. Or how to install products. Or places that look worth visiting... Only thumbs down I've ever given on YouTube was some offroad channel that wanted to start voicing opinions on political stuff.

I do find it funny how many youtubers installed that synergy brace and said it was the bee's knees but not one negative review. Except maybe JL Life. haha. There are no honest product reviews. People shouldn't be surprised.
LOL. No kidding. A lot of butthurt in some of the comments. Don't like it, move on. I agree with almost everything you posted and have the same feelings about those channels. There are a number of them I still subscribe to but rarely watch unless the topic looks interesting.

I watch YT more than regular TV these days. The content some people are producing from a technical standpoint is truly amazing. It takes a ton of work to get good quality video and audio let alone get amazing shots that won't bore people and keep content interesting.

Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Any poser with a camera is now a “content producer.”
I used to work for the Dean of a prominent film school. When iMovie first came out there was a lot of talk about the "democratization of media production." My Dean's comment was, "iMovie is great but it won't magically create a million Spielbergs."

There are creators and consumers. I think it is useful for people to try and be creators - if anything they find that it is really hard to make good content. Storytelling is an art and a practice.

RubiTuesday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
... Like, I have at least 3 youtube channels that I can't stand... but I still watch them sometimes. Mostly to see what dumb shit they're gonna post this time. haha. Then I feel guilty for giving them a view. But even then, no harm other than supporting an idiot.
"But if they hate him, why do they listen?"
"Most common answer, 'I wanna see what he'll say next.'"

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Eddie and his site weren't banned because of anything Eddie did or said, some of his "followers" and some "followers" of litebrite got into an virtual internet gang war. In fact some psychotic litebtrite worshiper (probably a regular here) threatened to start shooting Eddies "followers" at EJS last year. Yea, these people are supposedly adults. I agree that he has gotten way too product driven, and I don't like the layout of his forum. One thing I will give Eddie is that he wheels harder than probably 99% of Jeep owners ever will, that's why I watch him and the people he wheels with.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I used to work for the Dean of a prominent film school. When iMovie first came out there was a lot of talk about the "democratization of media production." My Dean's comment was, "iMovie is great but it won't magically create a million Spielbergs."

There are creators and consumers. I think it is useful for people to try and be creators - if anything they find that it is really hard to make good content. Storytelling is an art and a practice.
Indeed. Democratization has arrived to every sector.

In my field, Survey Monkey turned...well, any monkey, into a market researcher overnight. But this had unintended consequences.

There’s a method to the madness of data collection: scientific sampling, questionnaire design, statistical analyses, research methods, etc. But some executives believed that by simply buying Survey Monkey, they could hire a high school graduate, give them Survey Monkey and voilá, they had an in-house research department. As the old saying goes: garbage in, garbage out.

Thankfully, things have found a happy medium. Businesses have rediscovered that it is better to hire the professional services of a research firm than attempt to do the data collection and interpretation themselves.

YouTube is more entertainment than anything else and, as such, has fewer real life consequences. But disinformation has become a big problem, and most of it comes from social media like YouTube.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
haha. Wow. this thread did not go the direction I was expecting when I opened it.... More people just hating than I expected.
This thread went exactly the way I expected. Comical really when you think about it. People bitching about the content put up on the toob because "I don't like it" but can't see their own bitching. Most people can't see their own hypocrisy. :LOL:
Sponsored