TrailRecon spotted last Saturday outside of Silverton, CO

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I like Venture4wd because I don't feel like Chris is always showing off his latest gadgets, though is ursaminor is pretty amazing. Although he's kind of quiet, he just seems like he is out there doing his own thing. He's been traveling for three years now and at times he has exposed himself as vulnerable and lonely, and I like that. Also, his camera work and editing is quite good and I appreciate the time and effort he puts into it.
You ever notice that he has no music tracks in his videos? I really like that.
Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
For me, I was amazed at the distance he would cover from week to week. One week he is Washington State, the next Arizona, then Texas. Pretty cool to see different parts of America. Please don't overlook that he eats a hell of a lot of Cheez Its!

Another channel that was very similar in some ways (living in a Jeep, traveling from campsite to campsite) although their demeanors could not have been more different was IamJake. Similar to Chris, except instead of traveling to campsites and eating grilled cheese, Jake was traveling to campsites trying to fix his YJ mocked up to look like a CJ and eating banana pancakes.

That said, I am really craving some new Jeep content. Any recommendations are appreciated!
No one has mentioned Coyote Works. He wheels eastern Oregon and finds historical homesteads.

Also there is JK gear and gadgets, and his wifes Jeep gear and gagets. They have a JK, LJ and JT. I am liking Jeep G&G more and more.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Venture 4wd is my favorite, I even support him on patreon. I like Trail Recon just fine. The nice thing about you tube is that I can fast forward if I am not interested or move on to another video. That said, Brad is always interesting to me.

Last edited:

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
No one has mentioned Coyote Works. He wheels eastern Oregon and finds historical homesteads.

Also there is JK gear and gadgets, and his wifes Jeep gear and gagets. They have a JK, LJ and JT. I am liking Jeep G&G more and more.
Forgot sbout coyote works. There is also exodus 4x4 and there is a tewltalk guy that is very informative on just mechanical stuff relating to jeeps.

Trekez2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I like venture4wd and his quiet adventures.

I also like Epic Family Road Trip. I love the fact that they took all the kids, sold their properties and decided to go on adventures.

The Road Chose Me, Overland Bound, and Last Line Of Defense are the other three I watch from time to time.
The family seems to still own a island cabin in Canada.

Sponsored

Trekez2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Shocked to see that Matt's Offroad Recovery hasn't been mentioned yet. I resisted clicking for a while because I knew he'd make me regret selling my XJs, but I'm glad I did. I hope he can resist the typical YouTube arc.
Matt once said Kevin Williams of LiteBrite suggested he start the channel.

Trekez2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Well, you aren't wrong about that to an extent. I believe he took to the road after his divorce. But he's been on the road alone a long time now. He has said in some past episodes that it's hard to meet people while living that lifestyle but that he was looking for someone to share his life. He has mentioned going on a date at least once before.

His videos are released once a week and they average under an hour, something like 40 minutes or so. So, yeah, there's a lot he's not showing us. He does go into town to do his life maintenance, to treat himself with Pizza and other foods at quirky restaurants. He has stayed in some hotels here and there when it's been necessary. He's shown some of this. My guess is he feels this is stuff that people might find boring and there are tons of Youtube channels that do travelogs like that. His channel focuses on the outdoor/scenery/camping part of it and some of his soul searching.

I happen to like his videos and find his lifestyle interesting. To each his own, I guess.
Back one or two years he did hook up with a woman named Jenn and her dog who also were traveling around in her Jeep. Evidentially that didn’t work out for them. Jenn got him started with spinach on his grilled cheese.

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport

I like coyote works visually and the trips he takes. But his narrating and the way he structures his English is almost too much for me to handle. It’s hard to explain but sometimes I feel like a 3rd grader wrote the dialogue. On the other hand he seems quite smart so I’m not sure what it is.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Venture4wd with Chris is probably my second favorite right now. I think his videos are popular for much the same reason Bob Ross had popular painting videos. Informative and relaxing. I do find the new cooking to be much less obnoxious. He ate like child before... couldn't even put the grill marks on a hotdog correctly.

The Road Chose Me with Dan. Dan seems like a cool guy and is responsive on YT and his patreon account. His musings on what you don’t need to get around have helped me put my plan together for what I wanna build. We’ve talked about tire sizes and he “Wouldn’t change a thing” suspension/tyre wise on new new JLUR other than heavier duty springs. Solid no bullshit guy who’s opinions are based on experience rather than advertiser dollars (although he does seem to be wearing a lot of Yokohama shirts lately.)

The show I’ve been bingeing lately isn’t Jeep related at all... much more overland and travel focused: Kombi Life. This is a pretty fun series and has really been fanning my desire to get out in the world that’s been really killed by this virus crap.

I might have a one-in-a-lifetime chance for a big trip next year and these 3 have really opened my eyes to the possibilities ahead if I seize it rather than just finding some desk to sit behind.

Last edited:

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Venture4wd with Chris is probably my second favorite right now. I think his videos are popular for much the same reason Bob Ross had popular painting videos. Informative and relaxing. I do find the new cooking to be much less obnoxious. He ate like child before... couldn't even put the grill marks on a hotdog correctly.

The Road Chose Me with Dan. Dan seems like a cool guy and is responsive on YT and his patreon account. His musings on what you don’t need to get around have heal me put my plan together for what I wanna build. We’ve talked about tire sizes and he “Wouldn’t change a thing” suspension/tyre wise on new new JLUR other than heavier duty springs. Solid no bullshit guy who’s opinions are based on experience rather than advertiser dollars (although he does seem to be wearing a lot of Yokohama shirts lately.)

The show I’ve been bingeing lately isn’t Jeep related at all... much more overland and travel focused: Kombi Life. This is a pretty fun series and has really been fanning my desire to get out in the world that’s been recalled killed by this virus crap.

I might have a one-in-a-lifetime chance for a big trip next year and these 3 have really opened my eyes to the possibilities ahead if I seize it rather than just finding some desk to sit behind.
Dude, take the trip!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

The Road Chose Me with Dan. Dan seems like a cool guy and is responsive on YT and his patreon account. His musings on what you don’t need to get around have helped me put my plan together for what I wanna build. We’ve talked about tire sizes and he “Wouldn’t change a thing” suspension/tyre wise on new new JLUR other than heavier duty springs. Solid no bullshit guy who’s opinions are based on experience rather than advertiser dollars (although he does seem to be wearing a lot of Yokohama shirts lately.)

The show I’ve been bingeing lately isn’t Jeep related at all... much more overland and travel focused: Kombi Life. This is a pretty fun series and has really been fanning my desire to get out in the world that’s been really killed by this virus crap.

I would have to agree with the poster above. If you have a chance to take a truly ”once in a lifetime trip”, you should take it.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Dude, take the trip!
Thanks man. I’ve got a great career, so it’s scary to just put it on hold (likely set it back). But I watch these shows and think “That’s what I want to do with my life”.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Thanks man. I’ve got a great career, so it’s scary to just put it on hold (likely set it back). But I watch these shows and think “That’s what I want to do with my life”.
How old are you?

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
How old are you?
37.... not really young anymore but not old yet. More importantly, no wife or kids.

To OP, sorry to hijack your thread! :)

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
37.... not really young anymore but not old yet. More importantly, no wife or kids.

To OP, sorry to hijack your thread! :)
Still pretty young.
Time is something money can't buy (while still being abled bodied).
Take the trip and make sure your bases are covered with the job.
Sponsored