Sponsored

TrailRecon drops the Diesel

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
The 4XE had tons of issues. It will be interesting to see the explanation and that video.

Bohica

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Not surprised. A diesel on a vehicle that can't tow more than 3,500 lbs nor haul more than 500 lbs is an answer to a question no one asked.
The 30 mpg hwy and 20+ off-hwy really sucks.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The 30 mpg hwy and 20+ off-hwy really sucks.
It is not about MPG. It is about miles per $.

Start adding up: $4,000 upfront premium to get the diesel + Diesel $.50+/gal extra for diesel + DEF fluid + $250 oil changes + extra wear on tires and components due to the extra 400 lbs on the nose, and it will be a long, long time (if ever) for you to break even.

Sponsored

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

Start adding up: $4,000 upfront premium to get the diesel + Diesel $.50+/gal extra for diesel + DEF fluid + $250 oil changes + extra wear on tires and components due to the extra 400 lbs on the nose, and it will be a long, long time (if ever) for you to break even.
We have been down this path. No one has come out and said they spent the $4K to save money. Everyone has said they bought it for the drivability and enjoyment. I came out of a 3.6 and the diesel is unbelievable in comparison and I had zero complaints with the 3.6L. It ain’t about the money my friend.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It's not about miles per $. It's about smiles per foot.

If you're pinching pennies then you might be in the wrong forum.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
We have been down this path. No one has come out and said they spent the $4K to save money. Everyone has said they bought it for the drivability and enjoyment. I came out of a 3.6 and the diesel is unbelievable in comparison and I had zero complaints with the 3.6L. It ain’t about the money my friend.
Weighed it against the 4xe. Both were fun to drive but I got turned off by the many 4xe issues, bad service, and lack of parts. Plus the 4xe will be outdated tomorrow.

I want to use less petroleum as well and the 4xe gets bad highway MPG.

Don't mind paying more for diesel. We use less fuel.

Sponsored

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
No, but what does loyalty to a specific vehicle have to do with anything?
The poster I responded to said he was loyal to his vehicles. I asked in sarcasm if 2 months showed loyalty.

I don't know much about TrailRecon but I stumbled onto a couple of his vids while researching my buy. He's got a gig doing car vids, which is cool, but I like the more organic reviews and thoughts on cars. Most of us don't turn over cars every 2 months and my use case doesn't resemble most of the YT "celeb" use cases.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
This video answers the diesel vs 4xe question closer to the way I feel, though he doesn't talk about all the 4xe problems. Complimentary to the 4xe (especially its fun component) but in the end too much complexity and not enough range to quite justify it.

A few years of reliability and if that range could get up to ~100 miles and there's no doubt I'd buy the 4xe over the diesel.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It ain’t about the money my friend.
I was just responding to the MPG comment. There are many other factors in the diesel vs gas selection. In the end, if you are happy with your choice that is all that matters.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The poster I responded to said he was loyal to his vehicles. I asked in sarcasm if 2 months showed loyalty.

I don't know much about TrailRecon but I stumbled onto a couple of his vids while researching my buy. He's got a gig doing car vids, which is cool, but I like the more organic reviews and thoughts on cars. Most of us don't turn over cars every 2 months and my use case doesn't resemble most of the YT "celeb" use cases.
As far I as I can tell you were the first here to mention loyalty, so that's why I took your comment the way I did. I apparently misunderstood what you were trying to convey. My bad.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
As far I as I can tell you were the first here to mention loyalty, so that's why I took your comment the way I did. I apparently misunderstood what you were trying to convey. My bad.
Oh I see. Sorry, that was a chime back to earlier. He dropped the diesel because of issues, so he said. Now he dropped the 4xe because of ??? after 2 months.

I think we can say that his issues with the diesel and the ???? on the 4xe have less to do with loyalty/liking the vehicles than the desire to turn them over to keep the YT numbers up. Not knocking it but it does make him giving up each one less meaningful than has been implied at times. He just gives them up so he can review the next thing.
Sponsored