TrailRecon drops the Diesel

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
My biggest take away from this thread is, stay away from Vail Pass.
If you're stock and not towing . . . Vail Pass will be a piece of cake. You'll actually be VERY impressed by the EcoDiesel performance.

If you're no longer stock, or towing . . . keep your eyes on the gauges!
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
If you're stock and not towing . . . Vail Pass will be a piece of cake. You'll actually be VERY impressed by the EcoDiesel performance.

If you're no longer stock, or towing . . . keep your eyes on the gauges!
Even then you donā€™t need to worry about the gauges it will derate for you Iā€™ve heard..Lol.

In all seriousness the thing is impressive. It would take a 392 to replicate the power and even then, at that altitude the 392 couldnā€™t even barely keep up.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
My biggest take away from this thread is, stay away from Vail Pass.
I just moved from there last summer and I wish more people would stay away too. Lol

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
. . . It would take a 392 to replicate the power and even then, at that altitude the 392 couldnā€™t even barely keep up.
TURBOS RULE at elevation!!!!:rock:

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
I guess he never had a jk? 240 was everyday temp on any climb in CO, I remember having 235* coolant when the air temp was -5* by myself headed to work over the divide On I70.
Not sure how to reply to this post. But heā€™s my reply. I ordered mine not for towing. Simply because of the torque output and fuel consumption. Itā€™s diesel !! Just my 2 cents

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Here is a good example of the kind of brutal transparency I would love to see on these channels. I once got burned by a crooked, incompetent bumper maker. I made sure the folks who read my blog are aware.

https://donmontalvo.com/2021/03/13/speaking-of-the-dirtworx/
It's okay to feel embarrassed for forgetting to prefit prior to spending money on painting. It was 100% shared negligence in your instance, theirs for not designing off a JL platform and yours for not checking fitment. Seams and holes don't line up exactly from one vehicle to the next, especially if there is pre-existing damage. Let's not get too dramatic about it though.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Seams and holes don't line up exactly from one vehicle to the next
That's woolly thinking. Incompetent fabricators deserve a tarnished reputation. Itā€™s ok to feel sorry and defensive for them.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I guess he never had a jk? 240 was everyday temp on any climb in CO, I remember having 235* coolant when the air temp was -5* by myself headed to work over the divide On I70.
I'm guessing that it didn't start shutting itself down.

Koolkarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko

Sponsored

Snowscraper

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Ecodiesel
I actually bought my Ecodiesel shortly after watching some of his early content and initial reviews. 10,000 miles in and I'm still digging it! You just can't beat the torque and milage with 37's. I'll be regearing before hitting the Rubicon this summer. To each his own.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Anyone with the diesel consider upgrading the cooling system? I wonder if there are any radiator manufacturers that have some more robust options for those that are modifying these rigs with bigger wheels, heavier loads etc.

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLURD,ā€˜02 F-250 7.3, ā€˜15 Prius, Had 13 JK
I figure Iā€™ve got 6,000 miles towing this from Arizona to Upper Michigan last spring, early to mid May up into SE Utah and across S Colorado and the return trip across New Mexico in the mountains In October. The plains sometimes get hot also and when running into the ever present wind, things get taxed too, depending on your speed. Wolf Creek Pass was on a cool day and the Jeep got warm and we rolled the windows down and turned the heater and fan on high and slowed down, didnā€™t derate. It does eat DEF on those high passes towing, maybe a 2.5 gallon jug in 1,000 to 1,200 miles. After those high passes the DEF usage is about 2500 miles per 2.5 gallon jug towing and way better without the trailer.
The trailer is 22ā€™ and loaded is right at the 33-3,400 pound range. Things that Iā€™ve observed are a lot of people seem to drive these Jeeps like sports cars and it wouldnā€™t surprise me that they overheat in the mountains. Yes, these thing do run hot, hotter than Iā€™m used to with older vehicles, emissions I guess. I suspect that a lot has to do with the lack of space in that engine compartment. I wonder if the problem could be solved with a modification to that 7 slat grill, say bigger and fewer slats, oh yah, that would be sacrilege, itā€™s gotta have ā€œthe lookā€ for marketing.
Yes I do like the diesel, yes it could run cooler and I hope one of the aftermarket modification companies comes up with a solution. Until that time, Iā€™ll just drive reasonably and enjoy the hell outā€™ve the Jeep! Please include me in any information that any of you see or hear about on that subject. It sure seems to me that the diesels sure do attract detractors, not sure why, I havenā€™t had any engine problems in almost 11k miles.

4F17A0D2-9F1A-4E5F-8982-6D658ACE90EB.jpeg

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone with the diesel consider upgrading the cooling system? I wonder if there are any radiator manufacturers that have some more robust options for those that are modifying these rigs with bigger wheels, heavier loads etc.
I, and others on the JT Forum, have been working with BulletProof Diesel and they are actively working on a solution. They have purchased their own JT Gladiator to serve as their test bed. Presently, I am unsure of their timing to bring something to market, but when I spoke with them last week, things are in the works . . .

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
I wonder if the problem could be solved with a modification to that 7 slat grill, say bigger and fewer slats, oh yah, that would be sacrilege, itā€™s gotta have ā€œthe lookā€ for marketing.
I think that a new hood similar to the 392's would allow more air in and would probably do the trick.
Sponsored