OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
There’s a huge difference in temps climbing a bit and getting so hot the vehicle goes in to limp mode. That would be a deal breaker for me too. My ram never over heated once towing the Jeep on the trailer out to telluride and back in July. It’s a lowly 1500 gasser too. I tend to drive on the faster side and accelerate with purpose. If a 2k lb trailer taxes the cooling system that bad, it simply isn’t adequate. I guess that answers the question when diesel guys wonder why they don’t get a higher tow rating than us lowly 4cyl owners…
I loved my 2.0 turbo and still think it’s the best engine but mine went into limp mode as well as my 3.6 in my JK pulling Vail pass. Not towing anything. Lots of heat at elevation causes some problems. Even the Ecoboost 3.5 ford did it. Elevation will effect many vehicles. If I could have got the 2.0 in the Gladiator I would have. But there is no comparison. The power is addictive. Just as the difference between the 2.0 and V6 was. No comparison.
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Haha,
I’m making an assumption you meant JL. No problem with your post, but that’s the point. It’s BS. once again, just be honest. I don’t think the diesel is the best thing since sliced bread. For me it’s not even about that. It’s the sellout while claiming to be this ah schucks fellow.
fixed it.
Drama is more intertaining than simple reality to some, I like Brads channel. I think Brad just wasn't into the diesel. FYI, I recently sold my Ram3500 4x4 CTD and loved it. It was pre DEF, hauled a RV chassis mounted coach(2+tons) and towed my JLR without issue. Brads stated issues are reason enough IMHO. Add limited tow/load capacity and the diesels are not worth it just for the MPG rating because they cost more to buy and operate.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Jeep only made the diesel because people were screaming for it. Whether it worked or not they wanted a diesel like a manual transmission. There’s a certain demographic that wants it whether it works or not. And this is the result. It’ll soon be discontinued. A footnote in Jeep‘s history

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I guess that answers the question when diesel guys wonder why they don’t get a higher tow rating than us lowly 4cyl owners…
Not even close. The tow rating is locked to the chassis, suspension, and brakes. The engine is capable of more, but it cannot get past the limiting factors in the U.S. (vs European standards).

Deleted member 59498

Jeep only made the diesel because people were screaming for it. Whether it worked or not they wanted a diesel like a manual transmission. There’s a certain demographic that wants it whether it works or not. And this is the result. It’ll soon be discontinued. A footnote in Jeep‘s history

And I will have one and you will not. It works just fine by the way.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Not even close. The tow rating is locked to the chassis, suspension, and brakes. The engine is capable of more, but it cannot get past the limiting factors in the U.S. (vs European standards).
Capable of more...if it's flat or at least low elevation.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Capable of more...if it's flat or at least low elevation.
Jeep Wrangler JL TrailRecon drops the Diesel 1642195349339

I have driven almost everywhere on this map (no Alaska, N. Dakota, or 3 of the New England states), I understand the areas I may run into issues. Colorado is really the only place I'd care to go now that could present a problem but as always, I'll be watching my gauges and not dogging the trans. Being a military guy from TX I don't live my life in fear of what ifs.

Edit: For being such a "tight community", there are quite a few members here who seem to wish failure on some of these platforms they don't deem to be worthy. So bizarre, it feels like the Harley community (not good). I hope everyone's wrangler is a stress free experience and let's them enjoy their journey.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Jeep Wrangler JL TrailRecon drops the Diesel 1642195349339

I have driven almost everywhere on this map (no Alaska, N. Dakota, or 3 of the New England states), I understand the areas I may run into issues. Colorado is really the only place I'd care to go now that could present a problem but as always, I'll be watching my gauges and not dogging the trans. Being a military guy from TX I don't live my life in fear of what ifs.

Edit: For being such a "tight community", there are quite a few members here who seem to wish failure on some of these platforms they don't deem to be worthy. So bizarre, it feels like the Harley community (not good). I hope everyone's wrangler is a stress free experience and let's them enjoy their journey.
Absolutely do not wish failure on anyone. Trailrecon posted that he had what I would deem a major issue, and some guys got on here berating him, claiming he was taking parting shots at jeep(he bought a 4xe after the ecodiesel so I wouldn't call it a parting shot), or that it is normal for any vehicle to overheat in the mountains of Colorado. I don't think any of that is true. His ecodiesel failed miserably towing a very light trailer. That shouldn't happen. Not lifted, not with larger tires, the cooling system should still do it's job. If nothing else, that proves it is marginally adequate and should be something to think about for diesel owners. My ram hasn't overheated pulling 4 times that weight through those same passes with a leveling kit and 35" mt's. It isn't "normal" or ok period.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I can't argue with any of your points as being real, just the extent that owners are challenged by them. Superlatives like "I lost count" tend to overstate the issues. I suspect that less than 5% of forum members are dismayed by their diesels. We're happy that we bought them, you are happy that you avoided them - all is well at both extremes.
Fair. I think 5 or 6 of my friends who bought diesels (not all Wranglers) but don't haul/tow heavy want out of them. Conversely the 3 who tow love their diesels.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Absolutely do not wish failure on anyone. Trailrecon posted that he had what I would deem a major issue, and some guys got on here berating him, claiming he was taking parting shots at jeep(he bought a 4xe after the ecodiesel so I wouldn't call it a parting shot), or that it is normal for any vehicle to overheat in the mountains of Colorado. I don't think any of that is true. His ecodiesel failed miserably towing a very light trailer. That shouldn't happen. Not lifted, not with larger tires, the cooling system should still do it's job. If nothing else, that proves it is marginally adequate and should be something to think about for diesel owners. My ram hasn't overheated pulling 4 times that weight through those same passes with a leveling kit and 35" mt's. It isn't "normal" or ok period.
He's a little squid, he can take it. He's berated because he modified every other aspect except the cooling factor, that's like building an engine and not investing in the brakes. He also had some Banks performance parts in it but I quit paying attention to him after I saw the direction his channel was going. There is a difference towing with 35s vs 37s and a lift, we all know that. He's also berated because he failed overlanding 101 and not having all fluids for long trips, he should know to bring all the necessary fluids with him. He also thinks a 20 pound box is heavy.

When I PCSd across the country, I carried 2 jugs of DEF and some oil just in case, it's what we do. No one is trying to hold the diesel to an exalted level that I have seen, other than the 3.6s and 2.0s who quit attacking each other long enough to put down the platform they probably have no experience with outside of his videos. We get it though, you didn't believe in it and bought what you did, his video is a good "feel good" boost for that purchase. Now just be happy with it.

I very much enjoyed his (way) earlier content, I was also a fan of Marco before him, it was cool to see them team up together. As a fellow vet I am glad he has found success, but I do not enjoy the direction he's chosen (that's on me).

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
My ram hasn't overheated pulling 4 times that weight through those same passes with a leveling kit and 35" mt's. It isn't "normal" or ok period.
Zach, it might simply be the way you drive.

I have never overheated anything at elevation with the exception of slow walking pace hard core single track. It's not what a Wrangler owner wants to hear but how about changing your driving habits?

It's unacceptable to have a stock vehicle that overheats. Being that it's only some that owners that have this issue tells me it's linked to poor driving habits. Just by dropping down a gear or 2 and turing off the AC you might find the vehicle will run a lot cooler. How many actual heed the signs through climbs on mountain passes that state to turn off the AC?

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
There’s a huge difference in temps climbing a bit and getting so hot the vehicle goes in to limp mode. That would be a deal breaker for me too. My ram never over heated once towing the Jeep on the trailer out to telluride and back in July. It’s a lowly 1500 gasser too. I tend to drive on the faster side and accelerate with purpose. If a 2k lb trailer taxes the cooling system that bad, it simply isn’t adequate. I guess that answers the question when diesel guys wonder why they don’t get a higher tow rating than us lowly 4cyl owners…
My buddy has a 15 jkur and he tows a 2k pop up. He has been in limp mode a bunch of times out here in CO. My 14 JKUR regularly hit 245* and I never towed anything. No idea what year ram you have but they don’t even have a temp gauge anymore. Vehicles run hotter nowadays and it doesn‘t take much before they protect themselves. And the Jeep has had an inadequate cooling system for years. Just look at a JK forum for all the threads with “Overheating” in the title in the summer.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
He's a little squid, he can take it. He's berated because he modified every other aspect except the cooling factor, that's like building an engine and not investing in the brakes. He also had some Banks performance parts in it but I quit paying attention to him after I saw the direction his channel was going. There is a difference towing with 35s vs 37s and a lift, we all know that. He's also berated because he failed overlanding 101 and not having all fluids for long trips, he should know to bring all the necessary fluids with him. He also thinks a 20 pound box is heavy.

When I PCSd across the country, I carried 2 jugs of DEF and some oil just in case, it's what we do. No one is trying to hold the diesel to an exalted level that I have seen, other than the 3.6s and 2.0s who quit attacking each other long enough to put down the platform they probably have no experience with outside of his videos. We get it though, you didn't believe in it and bought what you did, his video is a good "feel good" boost for that purchase. Now just be happy with it.

I very much enjoyed his (way) earlier content, I was also a fan of Marco before him, it was cool to see them team up together. As a fellow vet I am glad he has found success, but I do not enjoy the direction he's chosen (that's on me).
I’d argue there’s far less difference in towing with 35’s vs 37’s than there is in towing 8klbs vs 2klbs (which I could comfortably and confidently tow with a Prius and I would expect it not to overheat either), but maybe that’s just me? We get it, someone had a bad experience with your beloved diesel and you got all defensive. Again, I hope everyone’s Jeep performs flawlessly and does exactly what they want/need it to do and I have nothing against the diesel. It shouldn’t overheat towing a tiny trailer up any grade and that was my point. Hopefully Brad’s experience was unique and nobody else has an issue.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I’d argue there’s far less difference in towing with 35’s vs 37’s than there is in towing 8klbs vs 2klbs (which I could comfortably and confidently tow with a Prius and I would expect it not to overheat either), but maybe that’s just me? We get it, someone had a bad experience with your beloved diesel and you got all defensive. Again, I hope everyone’s Jeep performs flawlessly and does exactly what they want/need it to do and I have nothing against the diesel. It shouldn’t overheat towing a tiny trailer up any grade and that was my point. Hopefully Brad’s experience was unique and nobody else has an issue.
I think that the point we are trying to make is that any vehicle with any motor can overheat or get close to it in certain conditions. I don’t own a diesel JL, so my feelings are not hurt about what he said. My point is that he should have said he is trying the bronco because whatever. There was no need to say anything was wrong with the JLURD. I guarantee I can put any Jeep or late model tow vehicle into limp mode within 1 hour of my house, without completely flogging it. But a little common sense and experience goes a long way.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I don't own a diesel but would have bought one if Jeep offered it in the 2-door.

Given that Brad was having overheating problems in his diesel, he should have just turned the heater on high and rolled his windows down.

That strategy worked quite well in my Family's 1986 Grand Wagoneer. Who cares if we were in the middle of the Nevada desert with outside temps at 100+. Car didn't overheat.
Sponsored