TrailRecon drops the Diesel

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I guess he never had a jk? 240 was everyday temp on any climb in CO, I remember having 235* coolant when the air temp was -5* by myself headed to work over the divide On I70.
he did had a JK but at least your vehicle wasn't going to limp mode when hitting 240 F. The diesel will. limit power and speed, annoying at least.
Sponsored

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
I stand corrected. I just wish it would have been a Cummins.
The Cummins is great for a truck, but for the jeep I don’t think it’s the best option. The R2.8 is nice but it’s only a 4 cylinder, with a lot less torque. I think the 3.0 is the biggest diesel that they could fit in the jeep, and still get decent numbers out of it. I actually wish it had the baby duramax, but I don’t think a strait six would fit. The 3.0 is already crammed in there as it is.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Sure he might have issues… but keep in mind he’s got a financial incentive to always be swapping out for new things. A new 392 or 4xe (which it look like he just bought, or at least did a review on) will surely drive additional sponsorship deals and YouTube views.
While true, I think it is also important to note that the wrangler is a special case.
He can sell it for no loss, so he is not out anything.
At a certain point, it is important to understand that the thing you are trying to modify may never really be what you want it to and it may be more cost effective to cut bait and swap to something which is closer to your needs.

It is things like this that really make my scratch my head in wonderment that Toyota does not offer the 79 series in the states. It would be impossible to keep them in stock.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Who didn’t see him changing his tune, he does it regularly now. “[Insert x vehicle] is the best and here’s why you should seriously look into one” is the next video title. As soon as you see the trend it quickly makes itself irrelevant.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
While true, I think it is also important to note that the wrangler is a special case.
He can sell it for no loss, so he is not out anything.
At a certain point, it is important to understand that the thing you are trying to modify may never really be what you want it to and it may be more cost effective to cut bait and swap to something which is closer to your needs.

It is things like this that really make my scratch my head in wonderment that Toyota does not offer the 79 series in the states. It would be impossible to keep them in stock.
then people will bitching its got 2 speaker only why no 6 speed manual why no automatic climate control why the door panel feels like cardboard.....why the rear axle is narrow than the front....bla Bla bla......

Morden emission controlled diesel is NEVER the same as your old coal train, especially the cheap small displacement passenger car diesel. It's crap.

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Who didn’t see him changing his tune, he does it regularly now. “[Insert x vehicle] is the best and here’s why you should seriously look into one” is the next video title. As soon as you see the trend it quickly makes itself irrelevant.
True. I also find him to be overly enthusiast about things, which is a bit grating. Still, it FAR more watchable than the lite brite channel.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
then people will bitching its got 2 speaker only why no 6 speed manual why no automatic climate control why the door panel feels like cardboard.....why the rear axle is narrow than the front....bla Bla bla......

Morden emission controlled diesel is NEVER the same as your old coal train, especially the cheap small displacement passenger car diesel. It's crap.
Maybe people would complain, but they would still buy it. Because there is nothing better on the planet for over landing + serious off roading.
Granted, they would need to fix the rear track to meet us standards.
They could just pop a standard taco engine there and people would like be fine with it. Diesel is much safer to carry in external cans, but hard to meet emissions now a days.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
He swaps vehicles more often than underwear. His videos are consumerism on steroids. One of these days he will tell us we need a solar-powered portable bidet that reuses dog piss... 🤪

I stopped watching his channel a long time ago.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Economy yes. Performance no.

Axle gears are determined by the engine and transmission and how well it does in the EPA test loop.

Once in a while, they'll offer an option like 4.10s in the Rubicon but that's pretty rare in most vehicles.

Thing is, pulling a load up a hill the engine needs to operate at a particular RPM to get the job done. The computer will select the transmission gear to put the engine at that RPM. So if you change axle gears, the computer will change which transmission gear it selects to compensate.
well said. I pulled my camper over the Passes on Colorado with 4.10 gears on 37s. The jeep was at or about 4,000 RPMs in 4th gear. Then with the gear swap to 5.13, the next time going over the pass, I was at 4000 RPMs but in 5th gear. The only thing that changed was what gear the jeep could pull up the pass. The motor still needed to create a certain amount of power to make the climb.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
who cares.. lol Kinda tired of that channel anyway.
Right? He seems like a genuine and nice guy. But his videos were so much better when he was just making them for fun and not profit. The bag of TrailRecon Coffee front and center of the video just makes me roll my eyes.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
If he hates the diesel limp mode, he's going to really hate when the 4xe does its signature highway total shutdown. I know it's a Jeep thing but I'd rather be limping than stopping in the middle of a 70mph highway.

The 4xe is fun to drive though. No doubt about that.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
True. I also find him to be overly enthusiast about things, which is a bit grating. Still, it FAR more watchable than the lite brite channel.
I like both of their channels up to a point. I just have to tune out of some of these YouTube channels sometimes because it becomes an infomercial for products and lifestyles that are way beyond my pocketbook, needs, and desires.

What bothers me about the diesel in a Jeep is the added complexity/weight to an otherwise simple and light off road vehicle. I felt the same way toward the JLU when it was first introduced.

The bummer is all these modern diesels are way more complicated than the simple ones of just 20 years ago. Getting a million miles out of a modern Cummins is going to cost a lot more than the ones that were stuffed into the Dodge trucks in the 90's.

Good news is anyone in the market for a Wrangler can be happy. With 3 different engines and 5 engine configurations there is a choice for everyone.

Right? He seems like a genuine and nice guy. But his videos were so much better when he was just making them for fun and not profit. The bag of TrailRecon Coffee front and center of the video just makes me roll my eyes.
I have to admit when Brad was marketing that at Christmas I was a bit put off. OTOH, I'm happy for that young couple Britney and Kevin and also Brad for what they made of themselves through YouTube.
Sponsored