Trailering Jeep...Strap to tie rod?

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I am going to be trailering my jeep, and I am trying to find the best strap locations.

I am using 2inch wide straps that can go thru the wheel, around the axles or other locations. Long term, I will have macs custom weld hooks installed on the axle tube, buy they won't be here in time for this trip.

The front axle has limited space for straps, but the tie rod is easily accessed. Is this a safe place to strap?

Going thru the wheels would require me to remove the rash ring so that I don't rub the strap.

Interested in what mount locations others have used for unsprung trailer attachment.

I am not interested in using the factory hooks, bumper, or any of the frame points.
Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've never trailered a jeep but the tie rod doesn't sound like a good idea imo. I very well could be wrong though. Can you wrap the straps around the axle tubes?

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no room to go around the front axle tube with 2 straps. No clearance between pumpkin and springs on driver side, and the FAD prevents passenger side.

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless I am overthinking the strap...I was trying to get the 2in wide strap to lay flat around the axle without getting pinched or bunched up.

Sponsored

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Rear straps are heavily loaded in a panic stop or crash. Front straps are more lightly loaded under acceleration. You will be fine bunching the straps up as long as they don't run across a sharp edge.

You should also see if it is possible to run a single strap under one side of the axle, over the differential close to the driveshaft, and then under the other side of the axle. I've had success with this method in a pinch but never tried it on a JL.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I would go with axle straps, like @TX_Ovrlnd suggested. Safest route, and the most secure.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I have looked at this and the only solution I have (front axle is trussed) is to go through the inner C’s, under the axle shaft. Between the RCV bells and the axle housing, there is just enough room for me to slide the axle straps through there. Those inner C’s are stout and mine are trussed with the Artec kit. I’m not worried about it at all.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
20210612_200200.jpg

This is the method I use, around the frame and sucked down tight in the front and around the axle tubes in the rear. Eliminates body roll from the jeep, angles the nose down for at least mildly improved aerodynamics, and it just feels more stable in the corners to me. Longest trip so far was out to CO and back ~2400 miles round trip and she was rock solid.
Sponsored