TRAILER WIRING

El-Jefes-Red-Rubi

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red Rubicon
I am looking for splicing directions for a JK flat-4 wiring harness onto a JL. Yes I know the new plug and play is available but being an electronics guy I have no issue splicing. And no...I don't have the LED package so my incandescent wiring is more than capable of handling the load. I have searched and can't find the post I read before. Anyone have the link or the diagram?
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hey @El-Jefes-Silver-Sahara Allen:

A while back, when looking up JL 4 pin wiring harnesses on etrailer.com there was one that directly plugged into existing FCA connectors (Tekonsha) and at least one that necessitated splicing.

I just checked and don't see the splicing one anymore. Perhaps you can find a direct splice for the JK that will suffice: I don't know.

Now there appear to be two Tekonsha offerings and one Kurt, all of the non-spliced plug in variety.

I say this because etrailer.com, as you may know, often attaches product instructions as PDF files with the products they offer.

I will say this. And I think it applies especially if you have the LED lights, but even if you don't.

It would be highly indicated that your power for this 4 pin be sourced on its own fused wire, capable of handle the amperage load of a 4 pin (no larger in size (smaller in gauge) than one wire of a 20amp 120V AC home extension cord) and NOT from the electric wires charged with the task of illuminating these lights. It's my understanding that this wire is too thin, particularly for the LEDs, to run a 4 pin harness' potential power needs. Of course you can source these LED'S wires (or the non LED if you don't have: I don't) for knowing when the rig's lights are on and/or the rig's directional signal lights are on, or when the brake lights are on.

I went with the Tekonsha one and it works great. But I completely understand your desire to not spend the money. In my case I didn't want to risk frying anything on a brand new $50K rig.