Sponsored

Trailer vs Seat delete

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Too much money to have issues like that. I’ve decided to go AAL eventually. Installing their dual battery and arb system soon.

I use a Jeep Extreme Camper, which used to be made by Livin'n Lite for Jeep.

They are rare but really cool.

I like the trailer as we setup a base camp in 15 minutes, and the vehicle is not clogged up with stuff.
Has a mini 2000 w propane gen for a/c, Skid plated and trail rated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Too much money to have issues like that. I’ve decided to go AAL eventually. Installing their dual battery and arb system soon.
Lots of other happy customers though, but they are pricey. I’m going with the lighter Getaway version. They don’t use wheel spacers. I double checked. Really excited for the icon suspension system and I went with the lithium battery upgrade.

No matter what you choose there are going to be issues, however, price should often reflect quality and that I understand.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Yeah my trailer comes with a Max Coupler but I’m still researching ways of securing it better. I have a few ideas.
Once the trailer is on F/R jacks, let the air out of the tires?

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I really feel like there's only a few types of "overlanders":

1) Those that are new to it and feel like they need to bring EVERYTHING and that it's the shit they bring that makes the trip.
2) Those that are more experienced, have their gear optimized, and bring just the right amount of stuff as to not detract from the experience of the destination.

This will likely not be a popular opinion amongst a group where the more (usually heavy) shit that is bolted to a vehicle the cooler it is.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer vs Seat delete ollins-Quote-The-more-you-own-the-more-it-owns-you

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner

1) Those that are new to it and feel like they need to bring EVERYTHING and that it's the shit they bring that makes the trip.
2) Those that are more experienced, have their gear optimized, and bring just the right amount of stuff as to not detract from the experience of the destination.

This will likely not be a popular opinion amongst a group where the more (usually heavy) shit that is bolted to a vehicle the cooler it is.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer vs Seat delete ollins-Quote-The-more-you-own-the-more-it-owns-you
Definitely a good point.

What determines necessity though? For one person, having hot water may actually be necessary and for others it might seem crazy.

I definitely think optimizing your camping (hate using the word overland) strategy as often as you can is smart. For me, a trailer is the way to go. For others it might be over the top.

As long as you’re enjoying your camping trip, even if that means it’s just to post on social media, fine by me.

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Definitely a good point.

What determines necessity though? For one person, having hot water may actually be necessary and for others it might seem crazy.

I definitely think optimizing your camping (hate using the word overland) strategy as often as you can is smart. For me, a trailer is the way to go. For others it might be over the top.

As long as you’re enjoying your camping trip, even if that means it’s just to post on social media, fine by me.
I would say necessities are shelter, food, and water. Luxuries are great and I'm not a stranger to wanting them... especially when they save time and allow me to enjoy more of the destination.

My perspective might be different than others as I don't have kids, so it's easier to pack light... but I can't help to see threads like this where people compare taking out seats for room vs spending $20k+ on a trailer that makes things like tight switchback harder and more stressful.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I would say necessities are shelter, food, and water. Luxuries are great and I'm not a stranger to wanting them... especially when they save time and allow me to enjoy more of the destination.

My perspective might be different than others as I don't have kids, so it's easier to pack light... but I can't help to see threads like this where people compare taking out seats for room vs spending $20k+ on a trailer that makes things like tight switchback harder and more stressful.
Yeah I get it. A trailer, especially one that you don’t sleep in that costs 28K is not a common purchase.

For me, I like to sleep in rooftop tent. I also like how small the trailer is. I prefer that everything can be stored in the trailer at all times and it’s ready whenever I’m ready to go. I also like that the jeep is not loaded with equipment for daily driving. If I encounter sharp switchbacks, my opinion might change. For most of the camping my wife and I do it seems like it will work just fine.

For most people, I would say it’s pure luxury and completely unnecessary to have one of these off road trailers. But then again, our expensive rubicon’s are pretty unnecessary for most of the common camping trips.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

ollins-Quote-The-more-you-own-the-more-it-owns-you.jpg
The struggle is real. I am all for optimizing your gear. My wife on the other hand thinks we need four mixing bowls, measuring spoons, two buckets, three pans for washing dishes, enough plates, bowls, spoons, forks, to feed approximately 10 people. Then there is the electric coffee maker, and a coffee pot you put over the fire incase the electric coffee pot stops working, and probably 25 cooking utensils. three frying pans, two pots, a propane burner and a skottle. Mind you I do 95% of the cooking.

We very rarely go alone. There is usually at least three other Jeeps and at times many more that are traveling and camping with us. I tell her hey Bill has a two burner stove, does not matter, we are still bringing the single burner stove, hey Bill has pots, still bringing the pots, Hey everyone has their own plates, bowls and silverware, doesn't matter, still have service for 10......... The struggle is real.

I had planned on using the coffee maker to heat up water for washing dishes, nope, we have an instant portable hot water heater. I try and tell her, we do not need all this stuff as the others can bring stuff too. Nope, load all that shit up. I have hauled some of her stuff for thousands of miles and it has never been used.

At least she wakes up like this when we are camping on the Rubicon Trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer vs Seat delete 1627469262428

Right now she is trying to convince me that we need full backpacks of camping gear so that when we set up camp with the camper, we can hike ten miles away from the camper, and tent camp..... because 60 miles away from everyone with the camper is not far enough so we need all the camping gear to tent camp and hike away from camp.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Right now she is trying to convince me that we need full backpacks of camping gear so that when we set up camp with the camper, we can hike ten miles away from the camper, and tent camp..... because 60 miles away from everyone with the camper is not far enough so we need all the camping gear to tent camp and hike away from camp.
This last part made me laugh. All in all, I am sure you know that the extra is all worth it when she's not only supporting this...but enjoying it with you.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
My wife pretty much lets me decide what to bring. She does typically pick the camp sites for us. The only thing she really wanted was hot water and an easy place to do dishes.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I built a rear platform for my Jeep using the Cheaper Jeeper design as a starting point. I modified it slightly to get a better fit, but it's basically his design. It cost less than $200, $70 of that was the automotive carpet, and was really easy to build. I bought a cheap piece of 1/4" plywood to use as a mock up then completed it using 3/4 hardwood plywood. You can run it with or without the back seat.

When we took our big trip this summer I used my Jeep as the truck and my wife's Jeep as the kitchen. My Jeep was a 2-seater and hers was a 3-seater. It worked well.

I have slept in my Jeep a few times when out working and it was fantastic for a night or two in this setup. I had an air mattress and a blanket. I think you could make it work for a week if you were alone.

Bottom line is... (1) next time we go we won't be taking our kids; (2) We're looking at trailers. A rooftop tent sounds pretty good but I don't want 150 pounds on my roof when I'm going up Hell's Gate (or similar trail). That would probably work better for "overlander" type trips, but we llike to crawl. I like @wibornz philosophy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer vs Seat delete 1627483354169

Can still access the rear cubby and uses sides for storage
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer vs Seat delete 1627483940167

2-seater configuration
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer vs Seat delete 1627483972770

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer vs Seat delete 1627483997152

3-seater configuration
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer vs Seat delete 1627484016779

With back seat removed. I kept a lot of crap under the platform; water, sleeping bags, etc.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer vs Seat delete 1627484189084

And here is my wife's Jeep set up as the kitchen (she's messy)
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer vs Seat delete 1627484343030

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer vs Seat delete 1627484286443

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I built a rear platform for my Jeep using the Cheaper Jeeper design as a starting point. I modified it slightly to get a better fit, but it's basically his design. It cost less than $200, $70 of that was the automotive carpet, and was really easy to build. I bought a cheap piece of 1/4" plywood to use as a mock up then completed it using 3/4 hardwood plywood. You can run it with or without the back seat.

When we took our big trip this summer I used my Jeep as the truck and my wife's Jeep as the kitchen. My Jeep was a 2-seater and hers was a 3-seater. It worked well.

I have slept in my Jeep a few times when out working and it was fantastic for a night or two in this setup. I had an air mattress and a blanket. I think you could make it work for a week if you were alone.

Bottom line is... (1) next time we go we won't be taking our kids; (2) We're looking at trailers. A rooftop tent sounds pretty good but I don't want 150 pounds on my roof when I'm going up Hell's Gate (or similar trail). That would probably work better for "overlander" type trips, but we llike to crawl. I like @wibornz philosophy.

2-seater configuration

3-seater configuration

With back seat removed. I kept a lot of crap under the platform; water, sleeping bags, etc.

Nice job on the platform, simple layout. Do you know the oveall dimension from the tailgate closed to the end of platform behind the front seats?

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several

2-seater configuration

3-seater configuration

This looks fantastic!!

With an aluminium frame underneath, do you thing you could get away with something like 3/8?

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Nice job on the platform, simple layout. Do you know the oveall dimension from the tailgate closed to the end of platform behind the front seats?
65 3/4". This works for my seating position. I'm only 5'8" though, if you're taller you may want to adjust that. With the seats all the way forward I can put the head rest in which is 6 1/2".

Edit: These measurements are with the carpet on

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
This looks fantastic!!

With an aluminium frame underneath, do you thing you could get away with something like 3/8?
It would probably work with a wood frame and 3/8". I had a buddy thats nearly 300#s walking around back there a few weeks ago. Its overbuilt as is.
Sponsored