First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
How about one of you fab geniuses making a skid for the trailer light plug that uses the receiver hitch. A simple 2" insert with a plate and extension to give just a little protection to the plug. I'll be happy to beta test it for you.
Sponsored

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
Mine is wrapped in steel from the factory and has been dragged over a few rocks with no issues. I have no damage but do sometimes get the plugged filled with mud.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We had the some damage and a trail buddy had his beat up pretty well. Replaced the rear bumper with the metalcloak one and it relocates it to the bumper itself. Don’t know if that’s something on your radar or not but I love the bumper

Brett

A7A9B86A-4E6F-44AF-9A59-AD8725E9D16A.jpeg

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
That’s actually a nice bumper, I like it! The question now becomes: Where’s the license plate?
Well funny you should ask. Been working on that today....still need to go to powder coating and have the light installed.

Extremely over built out of 3/16 but if you’re going to be a bear, be a grizzly bear...

Brett

3F0076ED-4EC0-4A43-9911-114B98318C5E.jpeg

Last edited:

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
That looks decent. Significantly less expensive than a new bumper. At the time I'm posting, about $120 at a major internet retailer.
BB_Black_Angle.png
Skidmark 4x4 or off-road has one as well just like this.

I actually bought the one you posted last week from Amazon, it was lost in shipping and customer service said they will not be getting anymore to sell and I had to take a refund or buy from 3rd party.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
How about one of you fab geniuses making a skid for the trailer light plug that uses the receiver hitch. A simple 2" insert with a plate and extension to give just a little protection to the plug. I'll be happy to beta test it for you.
Ken, it's not so industrious as a skid--if that's what you want--but unless I read you wrong your goal is to keep a 4 pin receiver hitch electrical port from dangling.

Might this hitch cover, which attaches to the receiver hitch at all times, allow you to, uninstalled, first snake the aforementioned 4 pin port through it and then install it on the hitch to prevent such dangling?

MOPAR also makes a version whose connection to the hitch is at the side of the hitch cover, not the top.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/mopar-t...ler-jk-2007-2018-gladiator-2020/p/82208453AB/

(the JK reference is irrelevant here: a 2" receiver cover is a 2" receiver cover)

BTW: I have one of these and I drilled two small holes in it at the end most inserted into the receiver hitch, to which a "U" segment with two curly "Qs" at the end of clothes wire hanger is attached into the holes, such that when I insert my locking hitch pin in the hitch, the wire segment goes around the pin and prevents easy theft of the cover.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've returned to my parked JL to find the cover somewhat pulled on by someone who thinks it's somehow okay to steal this....but was prevented from doing so without considerable work...

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
E-Trailer has them, called "Front Mount Trailer hitch receiver , code 6771. $46.95
Also Curt , code C31007 $37.93
Use in front, or rear Receivers

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
E-Trailer has them, called "Front Mount Trailer hitch receiver , code 6771. $46.95
Also Curt , code C31007 $37.93
Use in front, or rear Receivers
I have the Curt one already, it is very small. It does ok to just protect the hitch, but is not large enough to give any additional bumper protection or even keep from dragging your spare.
The one from skidmark or body armor will be much better for that.

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Thanks for the replies. The idea was to protect the factory 4/7 pin plug that should have been body mounted or at least in the middle of the bumper. I like that Backbone idea, it looks like just what I had envisioned. Really like that bumper, especially since I left mine dangling on one side after the last outing. Plastic on a Rubi just wasn't a good idea. But I need a bumper with backup sensor holes that work and a license bracket. It also needs to keep the factory hitch. Of course then there's the needed lift, bigger tires, full skids............

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Thanks for the replies. The idea was to protect the factory 4/7 pin plug that should have been body mounted or at least in the middle of the bumper. I like that Backbone idea, it looks like just what I had envisioned. Really like that bumper, especially since I left mine dangling on one side after the last outing. Plastic on a Rubi just wasn't a good idea. But I need a bumper with backup sensor holes that work and a license bracket. It also needs to keep the factory hitch. Of course then there's the needed lift, bigger tires, full skids............
The Metalcloak bumper does work with the factory hitch, but that’s about it. I find it funny that on their product page in bold letters is the statement “No feature overlooked.”
Sponsored