Sponsored

Trailer hitch wiring

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jlu
I installed the mopar JL wiring harness,but after install nothing worked. I went to my local dealer and asked what was wrong and the said it had to be programmed to take the harness wiring .Well after they said they programmed it they called me into the shop and said my jeep did not come with the option for hitch wiring, then the said the fuse box ( power control module) does not have places for fuses to be installed for wiring harness.
I have never owned a vehicle that you could not add a trailer wiring harness.
Has anyone ever heard of this or know what I can do to get hitch lights wired?
Sponsored

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know how you wired this, but the JL has a lower voltage circuit and you have to run power all the way back to the battery in the engine compartment. There's a fuse built into the line and attaches directly to the battery post. Even then, you need this transformer thingy in-between. It's all in a package and I had to go through a couple non-MOPAR solutions.

Reading your note ... it's hard to follow what was used. You can't just splice into the back tail light. NEVER go to the dealer with an aftermarket problem (assume that's what happened here) as you have now just doubled the cost of the job no doubt. I installed a Curt wiring harness (didn't work). Ended up going to etrailer for a harness and ran the power line through the interior and there's a grommet just above the brake pedal into the engine compartment.

You can find it here. I've written extensively about this issue way back when I got mine. Call these people up if you need help. I assume you paid to have the Jeep reprogrammed, sorry didn't mean to be flippant. That said, maybe you installed the MOPAR unit, I don't know. The MOPAR harness is more expensive and complicated.

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2018_Jeep_JL+Wrangler+Unlimited.htm

OP
OP
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jlu
I don't know how you wired this, but the JL has a lower voltage circuit and you have to run power all the way back to the battery in the engine compartment. There's a fuse built into the line and attaches directly to the battery post. Even then, you need this transformer thingy in-between. It's all in a package and I had to go through a couple non-MOPAR solutions.

Reading your note ... it's hard to follow what was used. You can't just splice into the back tail light. NEVER go to the dealer with an aftermarket problem (assume that's what happened here) as you have now just doubled the cost of the job no doubt. I installed a Curt wiring harness (didn't work). Ended up going to etrailer for a harness and ran the power line through the interior and there's a grommet just above the brake pedal into the engine compartment.

You can find it here. I've written extensively about this issue way back when I got mine. Call these people up if you need help. I assume you paid to have the Jeep reprogrammed, sorry didn't mean to be flippant. That said, maybe you installed the MOPAR unit, I don't know. The MOPAR harness is more expensive and complicated.

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2018_Jeep_JL+Wrangler+Unlimited.htm
Yes I installed the MOPAR wiring harness, yes it was very complicated. But as i said in my thread. It still did not work. I need something with at least 5 pins to pull my boat that has surge brakes.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Well you got half pregnant lol.
Better go completely aftermarket like kculp describes. Mopar only got you halfway.

OP
OP
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jlu
The Mopar looks to wire up the same as the curt harness, not all the way to the battery, plugs in
Both tail lights and has a power module they plug into.
Do you have the curt 4 pin? Does it work?

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I too installed the E-trailer harness, easy/peasy all worked just fine. It Includes ModuLite power module that connects directly to battery to avoid overloading vehicle's electrical system. It installs in minutes, the hardest part (not really) is running a power lead to the battery for the module. Trash the mopar and buy the e-trailer.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I used the same one from e etrailer, it worked fine.i just ordered the auxiliary switch and did the hitch and trailer harness. I'll have under 400 in it. If I would have ordered or found one on the lot we liked with tow package, I would of got it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jlu
I too installed the E-trailer harness, easy/peasy all worked just fine. It Includes ModuLite power module that connects directly to battery to avoid overloading vehicle's electrical system. It installs in minutes, the hardest part (not really) is running a power lead to the battery for the module. Trash the mopar and buy the e-trailer.
Thank you that is what I needed. Since I wired the Mopar harness I already have a wire running to the battery.

OP
OP
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jlu
Thank you that is what I needed. Since I wired the Mopar harness I already have a wire running to the battery
And I ordered the curt harness

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of money... sorry though had trouble.

I thought the Mopar solution had an extra connect under the dash for electronic trailer braking .... or just have the dealer check your wiring work *they probably won't. It shouldn't need programming. All I needed was a 4 pin.. tell e- trailer what you need before you order because most of the harnesses are 4pin.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
I'm curious to see if you followed the instructions on this video?

OP
OP
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jlu
Lots of money... sorry though had trouble.

I thought the Mopar solution had an extra connect under the dash for electronic trailer braking .... or just have the dealer check your wiring work *they probably won't. It shouldn't need programming. All I needed was a 4 pin.. tell e- trailer what you need before you order because most of the harnesses are 4pin.
Yes there was 1 wire that I did not find where it went. That is why I took it to the dealer, that wire they told me was for a brake controller
Sponsored