Lpedwards

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I am getting ready to install the wiring to my trailer hitch. There are several plug & play harnesses and install videos on YouTube. My question is - is it necessary to run a wire all the way from the battery to the rear or - I have a 12 volt accessory outlet right next to the left rear in the cargo area that I could tie into. Any thoughts? Possibly the gauge of the wire to the outlet is not heavy enough??? It sure would made the install easy.
Sponsored

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
I'm contemplating the same thing. I think it would depend on what the amp draw on the harness is, might have to hit up Quad sales and see if they know. Im guessing the harness uses the signal from the stock bulbs as a relay trigger to provide power from the red wire to the trailer plug. What did you end up doing?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm contemplating the same thing. I think it would depend on what the amp draw on the harness is, might have to hit up Quad sales and see if they know. Im guessing the harness uses the signal from the stock bulbs as a relay trigger to provide power from the red wire to the trailer plug. What did you end up doing?
@YellOhJL

It is so, so easy to run the single wire through the frame rail. Actually, I'd say it takes less time then pulling the plastic and bastardizing the 12v in the rear. Also, then, there is no chance you are going to be blowing a fuse.. Leaves your 12v back there virgin, also

For your 4 door, start running your wire from the front of the JL on the passenger side. Goes through frame rail easy. Use a fish tape or metal coat hanger. Towards the very rear, there is a bend in the frame rail that takes an extra couple of minutes to negotiate through..

LoveBugJL

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2012 JLU Shara
Right after I purchased my 2018 JLU Sahara, I bought a Hitch and the Mopar Wiring Harness from Quadratec. The Mopar harness was not cheap at $264.99. I followed the instructions meticulously. I didn't have a trailer to connect it to or a trailer wiring harness tester so I wasn't able to test if the wiring was working. I'm now looking to buy an enclosed cargo trailer and decided I needed to test the install before I make my purchase and hitch up the new trailer, so I purchased a tester for the 7 pin side of the Mopar wiring connector. No joy. I get nothing. I noticed on the Tazer JL website, one of the features is " Enable/Disable Trailer Tow setting", so I'm going to bite the bullet and endure the pain inflicted on my wallet for high price for a Tazer JL and get one. I figure if this is not the problem with the wiring harness, having a Tazer JL will be useful anyway. I'm curious if any of you have added the Mopar Wiring harness to a 2018 JLU Sahara that didn't come with the tow package and did you have to get the ECU flashed by the dealer or with the Tazer JL?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
When running the flat four wire up to the battery ; I ran mine up through the body wiring harness on the drivers side, tucked under the plastic interior trim, and through the blank grommet on the firewall ( auto transmission), then tucked under cowl, to main battery. I didn't care to route it along the frame rail, for my peace of mind. This power wire is fused, so the circuit is protected.
Worth the extra effort to install direct to battery, in my never humble opinion
Sponsored