Sponsored

Trailer Hitch Cargo Rack Recommendations for JLU

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Our new JLU Sport was equipped with the towing package which was great because it will allow us to attach a rear cargo rack (hitch mount) for our trips up to the lake with the kids. Obviously, there are hundreds of varying styles of these things, because these racks are used on anything equipped with a receiver. Max weight but be a cooler with ice, wakeboard, and one or two other items. Anyone want to recommend their favorite(s)?

Here's a picture for reference of what I'm looking for:
209831-add1.jpg
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
FYI: That is a picture of a JK, so the license plate is in the wrong spot. On a JL, the license plate is on the bumper and more towards the middle, not on the edge. I bought a small cargo carrier and it blocks the license plate. Also, there is only 15 to 16 inches of space for something on the cargo carrier before it blocks the backup camera, so can't stack too high in the middle. I bought a 48" wide cargo carrier and it completely blocks the license plate. I have been searching for a smaller one (36" wide is the max to prevent from completely blocking the license plate, but with no luck. Most are 48" - 60" wide. I have been looking for some way to move the license plate up and/or over so it is visible, but would need to mount a license plate light. Hopefully someone has figured this out. I was reading some posts for generic issues with blocking the license plate. Sometimes cops will give you a ticket, sometimes they won't. Depends if they are bored or are looking for a reason to stop a particular suspicious vehicle. No big deal if you are just running to the hardware store, but it could be if you are taking a car vacation for several days, driving most of the time.

jeepbackview.png

OP
OP
@Brad_Matthews
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
FYI: That is a picture of a JK, so the license plate is in the wrong spot. On a JL, the license plate is on the bumper and more towards the middle, not on the edge. I bought a small cargo carrier and it blocks the license plate. Also, there is only 15 to 16 inches of space for something on the cargo carrier before it blocks the backup camera, so can't stack too high in the middle. I bought a 48" wide cargo carrier and it completely blocks the license plate. I have been searching for a smaller one (36" wide is the max to prevent from completely blocking the license plate, but with no luck. Most are 48" - 60" wide. I have been looking for some way to move the license plate up and/or over so it is visible, but would need to mount a license plate light. Hopefully someone has figured this out. I was reading some posts for generic issues with blocking the license plate. Sometimes cops will give you a ticket, sometimes they won't. Depends if they are bored or are looking for a reason to stop a particular suspicious vehicle. No big deal if you are just running to the hardware store, but it could be if you are taking a car vacation for several days, driving most of the time.

jeepbackview.png
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking a license plate relocation bracket could resolve some problems, but it would require you to take it on and off when you're not using the rack so an extra 5 minutes of work every now and then.

Steelcraft 70000: Bull Bar License Plate Relocation Bracket

By chance, do you have a hard top on your JL/U when you're not riding with the soft top? I've not owned a Wrangler since 2002, so obviously all of the changes to the Wrangler in the past 16 years were truly mind-blowing with our new JLU. Currently, we have a hard top on for the wife and kids, but I definitely want to put on a soft top this summer. I'm trying to get an idea of how long and how much hardware, outside of the soft top itself, you have to remove to put the hard top back on.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking a license plate relocation bracket could resolve some problems, but it would require you to take it on and off when you're not using the rack so an extra 5 minutes of work every now and then.

Steelcraft 70000: Bull Bar License Plate Relocation Bracket

By chance, do you have a hard top on your JL/U when you're not riding with the soft top? I've not owned a Wrangler since 2002, so obviously all of the changes to the Wrangler in the past 16 years were truly mind-blowing with our new JLU. Currently, we have a hard top on for the wife and kids, but I definitely want to put on a soft top this summer. I'm trying to get an idea of how long and how much hardware, outside of the soft top itself, you have to remove to put the hard top back on.
Soft top is super involved with mounting the guides, brackets, etc, but not impossible. Check out the video from Quadratec on how to install the soft top. It really shows the hardware part well.

Sponsored

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Yeah, I’ve been looking too. It’s tough. A rise for clearance could possibly avoid the plate issue, but then the 35” spare is in the way. Seems simple but...

NHJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 CJ5
Found a really nice option, but could use some help if someone is willing. My JLUR is yet to arrive, so I can't confirm this will fit without assistance. I have the steel bumper group, and 35" TAKO2. If anyone happens to have that combo at home and can grab a tape measure and confirm the fit requirements below, I can get this thing in the mail!

https://pakmule.com/product/pakmule-sway-back/

"3 3/4″ from the upper inside wall of the 2″ receiver, to the bottom of your spare tire"

Thanks in advance for the help!

James

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Found a really nice option, but could use some help if someone is willing. My JLUR is yet to arrive, so I can't confirm this will fit without assistance. I have the steel bumper group, and 35" TAKO2. If anyone happens to have that combo at home and can grab a tape measure and confirm the fit requirements below, I can get this thing in the mail!

"3 3/4″ from the upper inside wall of the 2″ receiver, to the bottom of your spare tire"

James
Wow that thing holds 500lbs. Nice find. Mine are 35” STT Pros which may be a tad bigger, and there is exactly 3 3/4”. Would have to relocate the license plate..

NHJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 CJ5
Thanks for checking this. Really appreciate it!

If the jeep ever shows up I'll post pictures for reference.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Remember the Max tongue weight on the jeep hitch is 350lbs or 10% the tow rating (150lbs on the 1500lbs rated models).

So regardless of what the rack says it can hold you will be able to hold 350lbs minus the weight of the rack.

Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
For what it’s worth, I am using this with stock Rubi wheels. For those needing the rise or with larger tires it’s probably not the best choice. But, as is, it is lower than the license plate and sticks out beyond the stock spare. It’s not perfect as you can’t pack too much on the driver side without blocking the license plate some. Even packed the plate is still somewhat visible. I drive most of my trips with that side less packed and then buy and pack firewood there once I’m close to my destination. And that’s usually in the middle on nowhere so nobody cares if the plate is a little more obscured. So yeah not perfect and not for everyone but thought this might be helpful for a few people.

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70422-Compact-Aluminum-Carrier/dp/B00SL2STX4

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I took an extended road trip in my XJ with a cargo carrier once. Houston -> Oklahoma -> Kansas -> Colorado -> Wyoming -> Utah -> Arizona -> New Mexico -> El Paso ->Big Bend -> Houston. I had not even considered the fact that the license plate was being blocked. I got pulled over ONCE during the trip and it was when I was in some little town and was just trying to drive from a restaurant on one side of a street to the hotel on the other side. The intersection was covered with snow and I could not see the lines on the road. The cop said that I was not in my lane when I was making the turn. That is entirely possible since I was doing good to just determine where the road ended and the ditch started since it was around midnight and it was just one large white sheet. He didn't give me a ticket for the turn, but he did mention that I needed to modify my cargo carrier so that it did not block the license. I didn't get around to it, but I never was stopped for it again either. On that trip, my solution to packing was to use a heavy plastic truck bed cargo box strapped to the cargo carrier and to just unstrap it and take it into the motel room that we were staying at on any particular night. Kind of like the old style travel trunk method of packing for traveling. That would leave the entire rear seat and cargo area of the vehicle available for one person to lay out and sleep during the drive and enough room for a cooler for drinks during the drive without having suitcases for luggage there also. It was watertight, so everything stayed dry. I had built a safari rack for the XJ, so a couple 5g cans of extra fuel and the spare tire were stored up there.

108.jpg

Last edited:

Robtdcarr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 2015 Ford Explorer. 2005 HD Softail Deuce. 2017 VW Passat.

James
I had a leftover hitch haul from a previous vehicle and wanted to use it on my JLU Rubi for gas cans. Well, come to find out the basket piece hits the stock spare tire with the factory tow hitch. The “insert” for lack of a better term on the hitch haul is 8 1/4”. Just thought I would throw that out there.

I did find an 8” extension on Amazon for under $25.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
From an engineering perspective, I would be more comfortable with the rack also being attached to the vehicle at the ends of the rack and not just the center.
Sponsored