Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Picked up the kit today from TJM Parramatta.. without asking the guy gave me a discount and i got everything for $900 flat..

Not to bad..
Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Picked up the kit today from TJM Parramatta.. without asking the guy gave me a discount and i got everything for $900 flat..

Not to bad..
:like: Well done!
Maybe they took notice of my reply when I rejected their quote telling them they were too expensive. Or maybe someone at TJM is reading these forums. Anyways, better in your pocket. :angel:

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
So my advice to anyone out there... Just get tjm or whoever to install it....

It says 60 mins install for tow bar and 30 for wiring.. it's a lie and I feel I'm not that bad on the tools

Not only that.. drilling the holes for the flip up plate royally screwed me... I drilled holes for the bolts to go through... Drilled right through the wire for the reverse sensors... FML so be warned about those... Or just don't use those bolts they supply and put more normal screws in.

I'm in the process of trying to fix those wires but don't like my chances as the wires are wrapped in a super sticky tape "protecting" them.... I'm currently over 2 hours in and this definitely isn't worth the hassle and I hate to think how much this wire is going to cost to replace if I can't fix it... Sigh...

Rant over for now.. best get back to trying to fix it before I run out of light.....

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup, no way you'll do it in 90mins unless you are cutting corners, have a hoist and the tools out already to go. Took me most of the day, but then I took my time trying to avoid errors as a one and only time through. I also added flexible conduit to the cabling as extra protection.

Bummer about the wires hidden in the bar. I checked mine, but still must have been close. I did use self tapers though, not drilled the whole way through outer and inner.

Just the same, not saying an installer wouldn't have fallen into the same trap. After all, how many JL's are they likely to have had practice on?

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Yeah definitely not a 90 minute job at all.

Yeah, I did read the instructions again and it does give you the option to install either just the screws or the bolts and nuts. It must be a universal plate flip as to anyone reading this in the future who is installing it themselves... Just use the self tapping screws and save the headache..

I did manage to re solder all the wires and everything is working perfect, took my camper trailer up to the mechanics today to get rego on that and all worked well. I did speak to Hayman reese on the phone and said it would probably be a very good idea to make it clear that there is the reverse sensor harness behind there and to not use the bolts at all (I just like using all hardware provided to make it super secure)

I did notice though that i have no issues with the plate bracket flipping up to make room for the tow bar itself. Maybe i mounted mine lower than yours Brett?

And another note to anyone installing as well.. Definitely use a torque bar to put the bolts on.. I initially used my impact wrench to get it super tight and it was. Then torqued it to spec (125Nm) and realised it was pretty far from being torqued correctly.

Really keen to see how it tows a 2 tonne boat / trailer combo now, we'll try that during the xmas holidays i think. =)

Sponsored

Kokis

First Name
Giorgos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Have just go the plate screwed to the bar so far (and without lights) while we cut an aluminium plate which will hide behind the number plate and will add the 2 small LED's which are from Ebay, which will just screw into the top holes of the number plate which arent being used.

Looking to lift a few cm's more to the blue line also so it looks better. The highest possible without the back up camera being affected.

Will put up pics after the weekend once its done.

plate.jpg

plate1.jpg

led.jpg
Hi, do you think Mopar 82215209 Receiver Hitch can be fitted as yours? I have exactly the same euro rear bumper but i wanted to be sure before start cutting the bumper. You cut part of the inner bumper correct?( right behind the plate numbers - inner bumper).

xtnqx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon Diesel
Hi, do you think Mopar 82215209 Receiver Hitch can be fitted as yours? I have exactly the same euro rear bumper but i wanted to be sure before start cutting the bumper. You cut part of the inner bumper correct?( right behind the plate numbers - inner bumper).

I got the Mopar Tow Kit LA221153AA. Not too sure on the part number for just the hitch sorry.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Yeah definitely not a 90 minute job at all.

Yeah, I did read the instructions again and it does give you the option to install either just the screws or the bolts and nuts. It must be a universal plate flip as to anyone reading this in the future who is installing it themselves... Just use the self tapping screws and save the headache..
Do you have a copy of the instructions? Does it function like a factory setup, eg the Jeep knows a trailer is attached and disables the rear sensors?

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Do you have a copy of the instructions? Does it function like a factory setup, eg the Jeep knows a trailer is attached and disables the rear sensors?
Im not sure if i have the instructions anymore but the jeep doesnt know. I just push the button to turn off the reverse sensors.. no issue at all.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Im not sure if i have the instructions anymore but the jeep doesnt know. I just push the button to turn off the reverse sensors.. no issue at all.
That would mean the sway control wouldn't be working?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jaydee_S

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
That would mean the sway control wouldn't be working?
I believe i read somewhere a while ago that the sway control is always active. Dont quote me on that.. but to me it makes the most sense.. It would just be part of the Traction control / Stability control system.

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what the Hayman Reese instructions say to do. 'Press the reverse sensor cancel button on the dash'

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
That's what the Hayman Reese instructions say to do. 'Press the reverse sensor cancel button on the dash'
That would drive me crazy, looks like Mopar trailer kit it is.

TrickyO

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Overland
I have the Mopar bar and wiring kit installed at the dealer and I am pretty sure I still needs to shut off the reversing sensors when I have the trailer on and stick it in reverse.

Gear_AU

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have the Mopar bar and wiring kit installed at the dealer and I am pretty sure I still needs to shut off the reversing sensors when I have the trailer on and stick it in reverse.

hmmm, I'm waiting on a call back from dealer about the kit so will ask.
Sponsored