Trailer brake controller location

1959jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Curious to know where the best location is to mount a brake controller, 2019 JLU
Sponsored

Cmtatsch

First Name
Chris Tatsch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler unlimited Sahara
I used a curt spectrum and pulled the cigarette lighter out and put the dial over it. I used a piece of plastic behind the panel to sandwich the dial thru the hole. No modification to the dash and i can pull it out and put the cigarette lighter back in like factory if needed. I put the controller box under the dash.

2F1E573C-01C3-4884-9C99-DD4F92CA9117.jpeg

127A56CC-E008-4494-87AE-25F8D8DC92AF.jpeg

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don't like to keep mine installed permanently for something used maybe 5% of the time. Also, don't want to create a target for thieves to slash the top.

Mine is installed with a RAM mount to my CMM grab handle mirror mount. I extended the brake controller wire harness up to the A-pillar behind the grab handles, and installed a waterproof four pin "aircraft" female socket in the plastic molding, and a male plug onto the rest of the wire harness to the brake controller. Installs in a few seconds when needed, and put away and locked up when not.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't like to keep mine installed permanently for something used maybe 5% of the time. Also, don't want to create a target for thieves to slash the top.

Mine is installed with a RAM mount to my CMM grab handle mirror mount. I extended the brake controller wire harness up to the A-pillar behind the grab handles, and installed a waterproof four pin "aircraft" female socket in the plastic molding, and a male plug onto the rest of the wire harness to the brake controller. Installs in a few seconds when needed, and put away and locked up when not.
This method may OK for some electric brake controllers, but not for my 'proportional' Tekonsha Prodigy P3 as it needs to be mounted in a particular orientation to work properly. After being mounted it is also needs adjustment for gain and boost and if moved would need to be re-calibrated. It can also me unclipped from the mount in seconds and stored out of sight.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Just ordered The factory Mopar trailer brake controller it goes right where that cigarette lighter is.

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Altitude
I just got the Mopar brake controller. So now I loose the 12volt. Does the brake controller take the power from the 12v lighter. Just wondering if I can extend the 12v wire and relocate the 12v plug. The dealership is installing it so I want to be a little more informed on what happens to the existing 12v wire. 2020 JLU.

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
I just got the Mopar brake controller. So now I loose the 12volt. Does the brake controller take the power from the 12v lighter. Just wondering if I can extend the 12v wire and relocate the 12v plug. The dealership is installing it so I want to be a little more informed on what happens to the existing 12v wire. 2020 JLU.
I just got mine also, am planning on installing it soon. I plan on relocating the power port to the right side of the lower center dash. There is room behind that spot for it. I will also be hard wiring my dash cam that is now using that outlet.

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got mine also, am planning on installing it soon. I plan on relocating the power port to the right side of the lower center dash. There is room behind that spot for it. I will also be hard wiring my dash cam that is now using that outlet.
Do they use any of the power connections from the 12v for the brake controller?

Sponsored

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used a curt spectrum and pulled the cigarette lighter out and put the dial over it. I used a piece of plastic behind the panel to sandwich the dial thru the hole. No modification to the dash and i can pull it out and put the cigarette lighter back in like factory if needed. I put the controller box under the dash.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer brake controller location 48919485301_aa7a1a9ba2_h

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer brake controller location 48919485301_aa7a1a9ba2_h
Did you relocate the 12v power? Does the controller use the 12v power that powered the cigarette lighter?

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haven't installed it yet, so I don't know. Most likely pulls its power from the factory trailer harness under the dash.
Have you thought about relocating the 12v, if so to where?

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, right side of lower console, room behind for the depth required.
Passenger side beside the circular grommet below the gear shifter. Is this what you are thinking. I seen a you tube video of someone putting it there.
Sponsored