DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I also noticed that the Jeep didn't make all the brake noise that the Bronco made. That would be incredibly annoying and would make me never use the feature.

What I'd like to see is the turning circle of the Jeep with turn assist off compared to the Bronco with it on. From the looks of the video, the Jeep might turn just as tightly.

The JL's turning radius is so good off-road (compared to the JK) that the turn assist is something I'd have never thought about or thought I needed. Still don't. But it is interesting to see what it does. Of course one thing it does is tear the shit out of the trail. That's not a good thing.
Sponsored

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
It's all good guys. Just don't mention you found a place that sell stickers or stuff like that cause then you'll be called stuid cause you didn't go with his guy or god forbid you dont change out your key fob with his other partner.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I also noticed that the Jeep didn't make all the brake noise that the Bronco made. That would be incredibly annoying and would make me never use the feature.

What I'd like to see is the turning circle of the Jeep with turn assist off compared to the Bronco with it on. From the looks of the video, the Jeep might turn just as tightly.

The JL's turning radius is so good off-road (compared to the JK) that the turn assist is something I'd have never thought about or thought I needed. Still don't. But it is interesting to see what it does. Of course one thing it does is tear the shit out of the trail. That's not a good thing.
That awful screeching sound from the bronco was due to the heavy glazing that is inevitable when excessively using that feature. That glazing seemed to also affect the holding power of that same wheel end, which explains why it still had a lot of rotation. I'll happily stick to 3 point turns for the sake of not prematurely burning through a consumable.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
What I don’t understand is why donuts are what seem to be highlighted with this feature!?! Donuts are WAY more fun in 2wd with the rear locker on, traction control FULLY off and WOT!!! THAT’s why I got the Tazer years ago.

I am VERY excited about this feature though, for lower speed maneuverability in rocks and trees to tighten my turning radius!! Especially since an Atlas (for front digs) doesn’t seem to be an option anytime soon.

In some defense of Casey, my 2 friends with diesel JL’s seem to have defeated the autopark. For whatever reason it works for them, the first try it will park, but the second try, it’s working…
You can "bypass" it with a simple $15 seatbelt extension from Amazon. Not sure what your deisel buddies are doing except maybe feathering the pedal.
If someone was to make an inline modded door connector and just not connect the pins that control that part of the sensor, that would work as well. That's a lot of work to disable a safety feature that was literally invented because someone died.
At best it has irritated me a couple times when info to check the mail in a rush. Otherwise, my style of driving doesn't activate it ever.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

For Christ's sake man. Isn't it possible that if @lowmpg never got his Jeep updated, then the exploit that Joe initially used to defeat the autopark is still active on his Jeep? Give it a freaking rest already. Just because it is patched for you and most others DOES NOT mean that it no longer exists for anyone. All you have done on these turn assist threads is to try to shit all over this Casey guy.
Great analysis. There are people here that seem to want to derail any / all discussion related to Casey 250 when we know that various Jeeps have various firmware updates. They're not all the same.

The topic was supposed to be turn assist and not whatever YT person happened to talk about it.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to save it for a CAN bus reverse engineering project. But you know what? There's no reason for me to be stingy... we're just doing our thing for the benefit of everyone. Okay. So here's the next evolution of the trail turn in modern vehicles:

Trail turn is something you want to do on a loose surface, like dirt and gravel. But what happens if you do the exact same thing, just to a lesser degree, but on solid pavement? Is there any benefit to that?

As it turns out, there is. I just described the Kinematic Posture Control feature that's making it's way onto the 2022 Mazda Miata. (They stole it from Toyota, I want to remember.) Here's a press release which talks about the new feature. I'll describe...

What happens is when you're making a sharp turn on pavement, if you apply light brake pressure to the inside wheel of a turn, you can substantially improve the amount of body roll during the turn. This ends up giving you even more control during sharper cornering.

So we're still braking the inside tire during a turn, but we're doing it to a much lighter degree, and we're doing it with the aim of adjusting the vehicle's pose or stance during the turn, but it also enhances the turn through evening out the vehicle's weight distribution. It's a clever little feature that Mazda's adding on this year's Miata.

If they could pull it off, it'd be a really handsome feature to find on a Tazer, too.

UPDATE:
Suggestion submitted at the Z Automotive feature request page.
So, it's more or less using the brakes to simulate a similar affect of torque vectoring awd?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
So, it's more or less using the brakes to simulate a similar affect of torque vectoring awd?
My Focus RS had that. I could literally do 90° turns at a 100kms. Lol. It really helped hammering the throttle entering highways on the on ramps as well.

Not sure I'd be doing that with my Jeep though. Lol

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
For Christ's sake man. Isn't it possible that if @lowmpg never got his Jeep updated, then the exploit that Joe initially used to defeat the autopark is still active on his Jeep? Give it a freaking rest already. Just because it is patched for you and most others DOES NOT mean that it no longer exists for anyone. All you have done on these turn assist threads is to try to shit all over this Casey guy.
Some people on this forum really need to chill if you ask me lol

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Let's all also remember... "You can't fix stupid". At least it is really, really hard.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Well one person at least....
He's done the same thing on other threads about this topic. I'm not positive that he understands that these new details have nothing to do with the person making the video.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Focus RS had that. I could literally do 90° turns at a 100kms. Lol. It really helped hammering the throttle entering highways on the on ramps as well.

Not sure I'd be doing that with my Jeep though. Lol
I had a 2016 Nissan Juke SL 2nd gen before trading it in for my Jeep. It was basically a 370Z with a smaller engine, more ground clearance, and selectable awd/tv awd. It was a very sporty and fun vehicle that weighed just over 3k lbs. The torque vectoring awd got most of its playtime on the rain or ice slick roads. It also did great on dry roads, giving a feel like it had rear wheel steering through twisty roads, but it was only noticeable when really pushing the limits of traction.

The Jeep weighs better part of twice that of the Juke, is sitting way up in the air, and has almost a foot tall tire sidewall. The only traction limits I foresee pushing will be in 4l with 12-15 in the tires. I'll ride the pine with you, and play spectator on the high-speed stuff.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trail Turn Assist Now Available on JL With Tazer 20170112_115448
Jeep Wrangler JL Trail Turn Assist Now Available on JL With Tazer 20211014_133132

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Never needed turn assist and would never use it, the wrangler has over the last 25 years (for me) has been thin enough to handle the turns on all the trails I've been on. That bronco is rather a fat thing and for it, it should be fine. If Jeep really want to compete with the Bronco maybe it should allow the swaybar disconnect on load, now that will be the Tazer that I buy if it works for that.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I've driven the Bronco with turn assist. Neat feature but really a gimick, just like the sway bar disconnect under load. I guess it could be OK in very specific circumstances. I do not think it should ever be used on heavily used trails. What would happen to Black Bear Pass is every vehicle was locking up the inside wheel on the switchbacks. Good way to loose access to our already dwindling areas we can go.
Sponsored