Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Yes, tazer or not, the sway bar automatically connects above a certain speed and then automatically disconnects again once you go below that particular speed. The only difference is the speed at which this occurs. This speed for a stock jeep is, I think, 18mph, and if you have a tazer connected, that speed increases to 30mph.
Also, this speed limit can be completely disabled if the ā€œSwayKillā€ option within the tazer menu is set to one of the shortcuts and you disconnect the sway bar with that shortcut; it will stay disconnected at all speeds in that scenario.

Edit: Iā€™d like to make a small distinction after rereading my post: The sway bar reconnects once the speed limit is reached (18mph stock, 30mph tazer). However, it does not automatically disconnect once the jeep slows down under that speed limit. It only automatically disconnects again once the jeep comes to a full stop. This has been my experience.

Scenario:
Say youā€™re driving at 10mph and you push the sway bar button and disconnect your sway bar. It will stay disconnected until you reach 18mph (30mph with tazer), at which point it will reconnect. It will stay connected until the next time the jeep comes to a full stop, at which point it will automatically disconnect again. It will keep automatically disconnecting until you push the sway bar button again.
I think your first (pre-edit) statement was more correct. It's entirely possible that things may have changed over the model years, but at least in my experience (and in my 2018 owner's manual), the sway bar re-disconnects once you drop below 14mph. Sometimes it takes a bit to disconnect at that speed over uneven terrain, but I've never had to come to a full stop to make it happen.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Itā€™s legit on my 392 in forced 2wd and turn assist on in the snow! Amazing
Isnā€™t turn assist only active when youā€™re in 4 wheel drive? It doesnā€™t activate in 2H as far as Iā€™m aware and according to my one test after updating the tazer and the posted video. but maybe the tazer operates turn assist differently on the 392.

Edit: This is all we know about the requirements of tazerā€™s turn assist from unofficial sources until the official user instructions are updated to reflect the latest tazerJL firmware (current manual is based on 11.2.8):

1. Must be in 4 wheel drive mode
2. Rear locker must be off
3. Steering wheel must be fully locked to the left or right
4. Jeep must be below 5mph
5. Brake pedal must be untouched

Also, the turn assist function will automacically turn off once jeep reaches 30mph so you must turn it on the next time you need it so it will automatically activate when the 5 requirements above are met.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Regardless of thoughts on if it's a gimmick or not, cutting brakes have been a thing for years. This just happens to be electronic vs brakes or levers. It's another tool in the tool box that you may never use but the one time you might need it.......I bet it isn't a gimmick then.
Personally, it still doesn't justify the Tazer for me but it's pretty cool that the innovation is there.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Regardless of thoughts on if it's a gimmick or not, cutting brakes have been a thing for years. This just happens to be electronic vs brakes or levers. It's another tool in the tool box that you may never use but the one time you might need it.......I bet it isn't a gimmick then.
Personally, it still doesn't justify the Tazer for me but it's pretty cool that the innovation is there.
Well said. Whatā€™s nice about the tazer is if you already bought one after getting bigger tires or changing axles or regearing your jeep, you get tons of extra features on the side, with more being constantly added by firmware updates, and itā€™s totally up to you whether you want to use any of those features or not. But itā€™s nice to know that theyā€™re there if you ever want/need them.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I canā€™t believe anyone owns a rubicon and doesnā€™t use the tazer. From lockers when you want, independent of gear, eac other, etc. Sway kill for running rough terrain much more smoothly at speed. Turning down the tpms threshold so I can run my 37ā€™s at 30 psi without warning lights. Those features alone are worth the price of admission. Add in some of the seldom used bonus features like the trail turn assist, winch mode, being able to lock all 4 brakes (especially useful when winching someone else out as the parking brake only locks the rear tires and often leads to the vehicle sliding forward if you arenā€™t holding the brakes on), not to mention boost reading, 0-60 timers, adjusting for tire size, etc. The tazer should be the first purchase for every rubicon owner in my opinion.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I think your first (pre-edit) statement was more correct. It's entirely possible that things may have changed over the model years, but at least in my experience (and in my 2018 owner's manual), the sway bar re-disconnects once you drop below 14mph. Sometimes it takes a bit to disconnect at that speed over uneven terrain, but I've never had to come to a full stop to make it happen.
Thatā€™s very interesting! Mine is a 2021 and Iā€™m also thinking they perhaps did change some things in the software. I donā€™t think my jeep has ever automatically re-disconnected the sway bar while in motion, not until I came to a complete stop. I donā€™t have to stay stationary for long though, it still works if I momentarily stop and drive off. I need to do more testing to confirm this 100% and Iā€™m definitely going to look in my userā€™s manual and see what it states for the 2021 model year rubicons.

I digress but my lockers work in the same way. I can never lock while in motion, I need to come to a complete stop to be able to lock my axles. Though I believe this is the way it works for all rubicons?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I canā€™t believe anyone owns a rubicon and doesnā€™t use the tazer. From lockers when you want, independent of gear, eac other, etc. Sway kill for running rough terrain much more smoothly at speed. Turning down the tpms threshold so I can run my 37ā€™s at 30 psi without warning lights. Those features alone are worth the price of admission. Add in some of the seldom used bonus features like the trail turn assist, winch mode, being able to lock all 4 brakes (especially useful when winching someone else out as the parking brake only locks the rear tires and often leads to the vehicle sliding forward if you arenā€™t holding the brakes on), not to mention boost reading, 0-60 timers, adjusting for tire size, etc. The tazer should be the first purchase for every rubicon owner in my opinion.
I use JScan. It does the majority of what I need it to do. I can lock my rear locker in 4 hi stock with the Offroad Plus feature. Sure, I'd use it of course but honestly, getting one here in Canada is almost $500, the lightshow just isn't worth it for me. ;)

Torque will read anything else I require as well.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I couldnā€™t agree more with this statement. But like many things, itā€™s a very subjective thing.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Thatā€™s very interesting! Mine is a 2021 and Iā€™m also thinking they perhaps did change some things in the software. I donā€™t think my jeep has ever automatically re-disconnected the sway bar while in motion, not until I came to a complete stop. I donā€™t have to stay stationary for long though, it still works if I momentarily stop and drive off. I need to do more testing to confirm this 100% and Iā€™m definitely going to look in my userā€™s manual and see what it states for the 2021 model year rubicons.

I digress but my lockers work in the same way. I can never lock while in motion, I need to come to a complete stop to be able to lock my axles. Though I believe this is the way it works for all rubicons?
Unless you go with the locker wiring harness straight to a 12v switch. My wiring harness should be here next week, the front locker sensor gave up the ghost so Iā€™m going for full control of the front locker now. Aux switch 4 will turn on/off the locker at any speed and the tazer will let me turn off the factory front locker option so thereā€™s no warning lights. Best of both worlds for those of us passed the factory warranty.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I use JScan. It does the majority of what I need it to do. I can lock my rear locker in 4 hi stock with the Offroad Plus feature. Sure, I'd use it of course but honestly, getting one here in Canada is almost $500, the lightshow just isn't worth it for me. ;)

Torque will read anything else I require as well.
The J-scan is definitely another option, and I forget they added the off road plus which helps. Our 2019 was so neutered from the factory. I tend to run most trails in 2wd until I need 4wd. The swaykill feature alone is worth it to me. The Jeep soaks up the bumps at speed so much better at 15 psi with the sway bar disconnected itā€™s like a different suspension all together.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It doesn't disconnect again when you drop your speed? It should. You should experience the flashing light when you've exceeded their limit, then it should stop flashing once you slow down sufficiently. All stock.

RFTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2006 Toyota Tundra Limited
Not sure if I missed this or not. I doubt I ever have a need to use it as I agree it is a gimmick and can ruin trails. but does this work with tazer lite on a sport? If so. How to access it?
Yes, but on my 2018 Sport S I have the 'anti-spin' Dana 44 rear axle. This causes the dragging break to bind the mechanical limited slip mechanism opposed to the driven wheel. Seems like something will break in short order.
Sponsored