Trail Recon: 10 things Bronco has that the Jeep Wrangler needs

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
well, the bronco, just like the raptor, lots of AUX switch but most of them are 5A and only one or two that are 15A, which is still too low.
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing it needs is a little stronger front arms. lol

go to about 2:15 in video

he wasn't doing anything crazy at all, normal wheel spin and no WOT and delicate driving. That tie rod must be really weak.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
One of Bronco’s biggest fails is a steel bumper that cannot take a winch.

Seriously, who outside of Ford believes this to be an acceptable solution...?!?
1645288101735.jpeg

1645287699853.jpeg
Is that a factory option for the winch? Whatever it is, it's goofy.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a factory option for the winch? Whatever it is, it's goofy.
Correct. That’s Ford’s “solution” for a winch mount.

Apparently, the problem is that winches block the forward sensors.

How could Ford engineers design forward sensors completely forgetting about where to mount a winch...?!?

Then again, they also designed a soft top completely forgetting to give it an opening for the rear cargo area... 😫
Jeep Wrangler JL Trail Recon: 10 things Bronco has that the Jeep Wrangler needs 1645289021623

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bottom line, competition between manufacturers will result better products and more choices for us consumers.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Bottom line, competition between manufacturers will result better products and more choices for us consumers.
Tell that to Ford Bronco owners... 😫

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
But do people actually lower their windshields? Maybe for the beach? Maybe?
Well, my current 4x4 doesn't have a Jeep windshield. But some 4x4 trails out in the sticks are rough enough that the average travel speed only is 2 to 10mph. In that environment, I can easily see myself lowering the windshield, assuming the top and doors are already off.

In big group events, there's often enough dust that I want not only the windshield, but also the top and the windows up. Things like the Easter Jeep Safari are fun for what they are, but that's not how I typically use my 4x4.

At higher speeds, you want to keep the protection from dust, gravel, flying bugs etc...

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Correct. That’s Ford’s “solution” for a winch mount.

How could Ford engineers design forward sensors completely forgetting about where to mount a winch...?!?

Then again, they also designed a soft top completely forgetting to give it an opening for the rear cargo area... 😫

If you think the soft top has problems, read up on the hard top. Apparently they have a fix for it now but jeez, one online description states: “The defective Bronco hardtops began to change appearance when exposed to extreme water and humidity. Instead of being a uniform smooth surface, some hardtops changed to a honeycomb pattern with discoloration. The company made a point of saying the hardtops will be "scrapped," so they disappear forever.”

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to get a Bronco...but I saw all the red flags and cancelled + Jeep had announced the 392 later that year. So glad I got the 392 and haven't looked back. The ride is great, it drives smooth, and the seats are comfortable. Drove 1,000miles home when I picked it up.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This just in: Tommy’s humble $35,000 (after tax) Wrangler cost 50% less, weighs 20% lighter, keeps up with and, when it comes to it, rescues the fully-loaded Bronco, all without using any fancy electronic modes, no 35s, no front locker, and no gimmicky swaybar “dislocate”...

Last edited:

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
This just in: Tommy’s humble $35,000 (after tax) Wrangler cost 50% less, is 20% lighter, keeps up with and, when it comes to it, rescues the fully-loaded Bronco, all without using any fancy electronic modes, no 35s, no front locker, and no gimmicky swaybar “dislocate”...

This just in: Tommy’s humble $35,000 (after tax) Wrangler cost 50% less, is 20% lighter, keeps up with and, when it comes to it, rescues the fully-loaded Bronco, all without using any fancy electronic modes, no 35s, no front locker, and no gimmicky swaybar “dislocate”...

Just watched the wrangler and jeep play in the snow. No vehicle problem there, looked like pretty even. 1 to 1. It was a driver problem in both instances. High centered is high centered. Had it happen to me on Red Table Mountain in Colorado, same situation lots of snow and doing something I knew better than to do. Had a shovel and winch or I would have had to hike 13 miles for help. Had MTR tires but it did not matter. High centered there's only one thing to do, dig/winch. Lots of fun camping out a beautiful drive, grouse, deer, and elk in evening.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Just watched the wrangler and jeep play in the snow. No vehicle problem there, looked like pretty even. 1 to 1. It was a driver problem in both instances. High centered is high centered. Had it happen to me on Red Table Mountain in Colorado, same situation lots of snow and doing something I knew better than to do. Had a shovel and winch or I would have had to hike 13 miles for help. Had MTR tires but it did not matter. High centered there's only one thing to do, dig/winch. Lots of fun camping out a beautiful drive, grouse, deer, and elk in evening.
I hope Jeep adheres to offering mechanical solutions, like LSDs, lockers and solid axles, and refrains to go the Ford route of adding those electronic GOAT modes. Those gimmicks are fine on a Grand Cherokee but not on Wrangler. I’m sure it is only a matter of time, though...

BTW, I find those Ford chimes irritating.

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
As someone who has owned multiple vehicles with frameless windows it takes about a day to learn to pull the door handle, wait a half second for the window to drop and then open it.

It really becomes second nature.
For sure.
It's those new passengers like me that screw it all up! ;)
Sponsored