Sponsored

Trail Rail System - any regrets?

DaveKight

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon / 2022 JLUR 4XE (On Order)
Occupation
Lawyer
Anybody get this but regret it? Looking to add it now that I have had my JLU for a month. Thanks.
Sponsored

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
I have the system in mine, came with it from dealer. I actually like it. I use it to hold my tripod with the additional cargo bars. However if you run a table you will lose function of the rail on the door. The rail does not need to come off depending on the table but no access when closed.
The adjustability is nice. The tie downs work nice with my pelican cases and backpacks. I think I would order it if it did not already come with it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trail Rail System - any regrets? Jeep mount 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Trail Rail System - any regrets? 1617825811768

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
Did yours come with that horizontal bar? Mine didn't...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Mine came from the factory. I don’t really use it. But it made installing the Mopar tailgate table slightly easier because it mounts on the tailgate track.

When you order it from the factory, you get the base system consisting of two tracks built into the cargo floor, one track built into the tailgate, and eight adjustable hoops.

Everything looks and feels very well made of high-quality materials.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trail Rail System - any regrets? 1617845542392

Jeep Wrangler JL Trail Rail System - any regrets? 1617845618410

You can the add some accessories from the Mopar catalog that mount onto the base system.

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Ordered my jeep with it, but expected the horizontal bar to come with it. It didn't. I bought it afterwards. I think it was $70-79, minus 15% Mopar-stuff discount I get from my dealer.

I love mine; it is basically permanently in place. It usually keeps a small Engel fridge, tool bag, both bars of a disassembled farm jack, and a collapsible seat pushed against the back of the rear seats. Everything stays in place perfectly. It's also great for shopping, to keep gallons or heavy items from rolling around and smashing everything else, you just rack it out, stick stuff behind it, and then squish it all towards the front.

The adjustable locations to tie onto are useful for strapping down the Freedom Panels and other odd-shaped items.

Cons: the tie-down rings themselves are maybe 1" square, and 1/2-5/8" tall, instead of mostly flat like normal D-rings, so if you often transport flat, fragile, things that take the entire width of the cargo area, like framed pictures or loosely-filled cardboard boxes or something, you'd probably want to take the squares out to prevent damage to your items. This is normally a super easy operation, as you just hold down a button and slide them off at the top of the track, but I have the horizontal bar in the middle, so I'd have to remove that, then its own mounts first, if I hadn't developed a work-around.

Also, looking at the track system in person for the very first time, I thought "Wow, that channel looks exactly the right size and shape to catch a dog toenail". The first time LittleDog got in the back, he caught a toenail in it, and is now afraid of matte-silver aluminum rectangles that have a slot running down them.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I have the system in mine, came with it from dealer. I actually like it. I use it to hold my tripod with the additional cargo bars. However if you run a table you will lose function of the rail on the door. The rail does not need to come off depending on the table but no access when closed.
The adjustability is nice. The tie downs work nice with my pelican cases and backpacks. I think I would order it if it did not already come with it.

Not to derail, but what do you shoot?

I got all excited because in the first photo, your camera body looks ike the mounting plate for a giant head, with the lens being the visible portion of a very stout wooden tripod.

2020 beat me up; I haven't taken a "real" photo in a year. Thanks for reminding me to start lugging gear around again.

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
I love my trail rail system. I have a net that goes from side to side to tie things down. Works great and looks clean. The adjustability is nice as well

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to derail, but what do you shoot?

I got all excited because in the first photo, your camera body looks ike the mounting plate for a giant head, with the lens being the visible portion of a very stout wooden tripod.

2020 beat me up; I haven't taken a "real" photo in a year. Thanks for reminding me to start lugging gear around again.
I mainly do birds and wildlife. The plate doubles as a handle too. I mount it to a video head with Carbon Fiber tripod legs.

Here is one from our Jeep outing from Monday

51100935513_4e33dd1d09_h.jpg
Drake Wood duck by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Sponsored

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you order it from the factory, you get the base system consisting of two tracks built into the cargo floor, one track built into the tailgate, and eight adjustable hoops.
I only received 6 adjustable hoops. May ask the dealer about that. I find 6 plenty seeing I do not use the tailgate rail now with the table. Looking at the catalog it only comes with 6 hoops

• Kit Includes:
  • 68419017AA - Left Floor Rail
  • 68419016AA - Right Floor Rail
  • 68419013AA - Tailgate Rail
  • 68419014AA x6 - Cargo Loops
  • 6105151AA x3 - Screws

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Mine came with 6 tie downs, probably reduced the number to save cost at some point in the years.

taxjoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-door Wrangler Rubicon (ordered 4/3/21)
The length of the rails on the floor is good for 4-door models, but the rail on the 2-door models looks a bit short and not as useful. My Jeep 2-door is on order so I can't speak with first hand experience but I still ordered the trail rail anyway for whatever help it can offer. Plus I am ordering the tailgate table (identical to the one pictured in RobAmy's pictures, above) and there is a suggestion that the table mounts better on the trailrail rail mounted on the tailgate.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Mine may have come with six, too. I can’t count...

ToothMechanic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR
I was going to get it...but then I realized that

1. It didn't come with the 'fence' attachment so in total you're gonna be spending >$300 on it.

2. There are already nice tie downs in the trunk and do I really need to adjust those by a few inches?

3. It interferes with the tailgate table

4. it makes it so you cant put a full size mat in. Looks bad with just a small mat in the middle.
Sponsored