Trail Cam from Gladiator to Wrangler

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
oops, that is for safety systems forward camera, not trail cam. it is posted elsewhere.

can any engineers or other pro folks tell me what I would need to view a 1080p trail cam on 8.4 screen using a switch and adapters as needed, to use the backup cameras HD video channel to show the trail?
Sponsored

Yellow109r

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLUR, Bright White
Occupation
Aircraft Industrial Engineer for the DoD
Vehicle Showcase
oops, that is for safety systems forward camera, not trail cam. it is posted elsewhere.

can any engineers or other pro folks tell me what I would need to view a 1080p trail cam on 8.4 screen using a switch and adapters as needed, to use the backup cameras HD video channel to show the trail?
Im interested as well

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Im interested as well
I gave up on using zautomotive cam or substitute cams into uconnect. poor quality video. got a hd wireless setup with 7” monitor. works great at slow speed, not above 10mph cause the video gets worse with rapid changing scene. quality about same as backup cam at slow spreed. updaye- trail tested and much better than with zautomotive.

FHD 1080P Digital Wireless 2 Backup Camera for RVs/Trailers/Trucks/Motorhomes/5th Wheels 7''Monitor with DVR Highway Monitoring System IP69K Waterproof Super Night Vision https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FM58K2W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ne-2EbE7VA5C3

Last edited:

Sponsored

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR Granite Crystal
Occupation
Architect
I was able to place an order for a 2021 JLUR with a front camera.
Okay FML because I just bought a MY20 March on Saturday....

Can you get your dealer to send the specsheet/ MY21 JL Buyer's Guide?

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Okay FML because I just bought a MY20 March on Saturday....

Can you get your dealer to send the specsheet/ MY21 JL Buyer's Guide?
Don't be sad, am sure you can add it by buying the camera and module!

Here is the 2021 order guide, page 13, its called "INTEGRATED OFF-ROAD CAMERA M/H AD6 AND AEK" and the order code is XNY.

Attachments

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR Granite Crystal
Occupation
Architect
Don't be sad, am sure you can add it by buying the camera and module!

Here is the 2021 order guide, page 13, its called "INTEGRATED OFF-ROAD CAMERA M/H AD6 AND AEK" and the order code is XNY.
Here is the link for the 4 door order guide:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ngler-unlimited-jlu-4-door-order-guide.52367/

And attached is the spec sheet I believe you're looking for!

ED4A371E-AC5A-4EA6-8EB9-A38F2F31BF56.jpeg

What's worse is that I read there's a chance a V8 wrangler is coming out to fight the new Bronco announced today.

Sponsored

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Is there still no answer on integrating an HD front camera into the rear camera input? If the rear camera input in the back of the head unit was an RCA connection, we could easily use an RCA switcher to select which camera we want. Imagine a small DPST switch on the back of the steering wheel near the volume buttons, how cool! Even cooler, what about a 360º bird's eye view system to replace the OEM backup camera?

Anyway, we are stuck dealing with that Fakra connector, which seems to be the only hurdle. Finding reliable info on anything related to the connection and type of signal is quite challenging. Is there a such thing as a Fakra switcher? Can it be as simple as an RCA to Fakra adapter? Is one analog and the other digital? If so, what does that even mean? Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

A coupe weeks ago I bought a Natika 720P camera from Amazon. It has a yellow RCA and a red DC power plug. The supplied RCA cable has short red wires coming out of the RCA plugs. One end connects to the reverse signal from the head unit, the other end connects to the power wire. The power wire itself has red and black wires for 12v and ground, plus the short red wire to connect to the RCA cable's red wire. Not sure if it makes complete sense to me, but whatever. Here's a picture:

Jeep Wrangler JL Trail Cam from Gladiator to Wrangler IMG_1401

I planned to use an RCA switcher and a small DPST in the cabin to select between the cameras. Here's a picture of the switcher I bought, which is actually a 3-way switcher, connected to the camera. I eliminated the long RCA cable for clarity:

Jeep Wrangler JL Trail Cam from Gladiator to Wrangler IMG_1402

The red wire (#1) would connected to my in-cabin switch providing a signal to turn on the camera and tell the switcher to select that input. Bundle #2 could be used for a third video input. When I purchased this I thought the OEM camera would plug into that red "default input" RCA and the yellow "output" RCA would plug into the head unit. I had no idea what a Fakra plug was at the time. I was so young and foolish a couple weeks ago.

Okay, here's the question. Can I use a Fakra to RCA adapter to connect the OEM camera to the switcher, then use a RCA to Fakra adapter to connect the switcher to the head unit? If not, why? What is the bottleneck, and what would it take to overcome it?

Something like these? The Fakra connectors aren't the right keyway (we have the red one) but that can be easily overcome.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trail Cam from Gladiator to Wrangler Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 1.22.56 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL Trail Cam from Gladiator to Wrangler Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 1.23.39 PM

Link to the camera:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNRYHZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to the switcher (although the one I received looks a little different):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B155G5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_1401.jpg

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Is there still no answer on integrating an HD front camera into the rear camera input? If the rear camera input in the back of the head unit was an RCA connection, we could easily use an RCA switcher to select which camera we want. Imagine a small DPST switch on the back of the steering wheel near the volume buttons, how cool! Even cooler, what about a 360º bird's eye view system to replace the OEM backup camera?

Anyway, we are stuck dealing with that Fakra connector, which seems to be the only hurdle. Finding reliable info on anything related to the connection and type of signal is quite challenging. Is there a such thing as a Fakra switcher? Can it be as simple as an RCA to Fakra adapter? Is one analog and the other digital? If so, what does that even mean? Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

A coupe weeks ago I bought a Natika 720P camera from Amazon. It has a yellow RCA and a red DC power plug. The supplied RCA cable has short red wires coming out of the RCA plugs. One end connects to the reverse signal from the head unit, the other end connects to the power wire. The power wire itself has red and black wires for 12v and ground, plus the short red wire to connect to the RCA cable's red wire. Not sure if it makes complete sense to me, but whatever. Here's a picture:

I planned to use an RCA switcher and a small DPST in the cabin to select between the cameras. Here's a picture of the switcher I bought, which is actually a 3-way switcher, connected to the camera. I eliminated the long RCA cable for clarity:

The red wire (#1) would connected to my in-cabin switch providing a signal to turn on the camera and tell the switcher to select that input. Bundle #2 could be used for a third video input. When I purchased this I thought the OEM camera would plug into that red "default input" RCA and the yellow "output" RCA would plug into the head unit. I had no idea what a Fakra plug was at the time. I was so young and foolish a couple weeks ago.

Okay, here's the question. Can I use a Fakra to RCA adapter to connect the OEM camera to the switcher, then use a RCA to Fakra adapter to connect the switcher to the head unit? If not, why? What is the bottleneck, and what would it take to overcome it?

Something like these? The Fakra connectors aren't the right keyway (we have the red one) but that can be easily overcome.

Link to the camera:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNRYHZ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to the switcher (although the one I received looks a little different):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B155G5M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't think of any reason why the FAKRA to RCA connector wouldn't work. It doesn't appear to be a digital signal.

Only downside that I can think of is the potential for reduced picture quality.

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Oh, nice... This looks promising. Thanks a ton. Wrong keyways, but that can easily be fixed. Now the question is, can I just plug an RCA to Fakra adapter into one side and it still work? I think the major issue was, and still is, can we mix one RCA source and one Fakra source into the head unit? I'm still getting messages that the head unit won't accept the signal from an RCA source. What is very interesting is I really can't find a camera that has Fakra plugs on it.....

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
I can't think of any reason why the FAKRA to RCA connector wouldn't work. It doesn't appear to be a digital signal.

Only downside that I can think of is the potential for reduced picture quality.
And I agree, I also don't see any reason why it won't work. There are some others who appear to be quite confident that it won't work, but I have yet to see a logical explanation as to why.
Sponsored