Sponsored

Trail Cam from Gladiator to Wrangler

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I wonder if it makes more sense to just use the reverse camera's input and use an A/B switch to activate the front cam. I'm pretty sure you can pull-up the reverse camera while driving, although I haven't tested it for very long.

The input selector switch could even be wired to the OEM aux switches for a clean install.
Sponsored

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
I wonder if it makes more sense to just use the reverse camera's input and use an A/B switch to activate the front cam.
An A/B switch would be interesting... I suppose you could find a switch that is 12V or USB powered.

azrubi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Has anyone retro fitted the Gladiator trail cam to JL yet?
I know, tazer has one. It's only 480p, I was holding out for the Mopar HD.
Looks like parts are now showing up to order.

Camera part.JPG
I find it odd that the Trail Cam is offered on the least trail worthy vehicle in the Wrangler lineup. What's next, Launch Control?

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I installed the Tazer front camera and it works just fine. Stuck it to my bumper stinger on my Stryker bumper rather than put it in my grill.

OP
OP
Kevin Mojito

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
How does it look on screen compared to the factory rear cam?

Sponsored

JeepaZona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Jl - Diesel Sting-Grey
If you installed a 'back-up' camera in the front of your rig, ya'd have to do a little re-wiring to prevent the displayed image from being in reverse (i.e., left being right, and right being left)

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I would like to know why the FCA front camera cost $1140 (on Quadratec) and the Tazer is only $180? Does anyone know the difference (no washer on the Tazer camera?)?

OP
OP
Kevin Mojito

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
That the camera for the ACC, not video. The JT camera for grill is around $130.

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I used the Gladiator TrailCam on the Rubicon Trail last Sept and was very impressed. As a result, when I ordered my new Wrangler Rubi in November, I desperately wanted to find a way to get one. In hindsight, I am glad it didn't work out as it is really only a good deal if you are sticking with a stock steel bumper with no adds to it. Otherwise, your view of what is in front of your tires will be blocked.

I ended up using the Tazer system but, based on another thread in this forum, went with a $40 Natika 720p camera on Amazon rather than Tazer's camera. I thought the Natika would be better to mount under my bull bar and I might get greater resolution. So far, I am very happy with the set up although, even though the camera is super wide angle and is set back only a couple of inches from the front bumper, I can still only see from 16" and beyond in front of my tires.

I have attached screen shots of the HD backup camera (the one showing more trees) and the 480-720p front camera (the one showing an open garage door). The backup camera, which is the same brightness and resolution as the Gladiator TrailCam is significantly brighter and higher resolution than the front but the front is plenty adequate to see what is coming at the vehicle below the hood line. I understand the resolution limit is not with the 8.4" screen as it can display the HD backup but rather the connection to it and that is one reason why the migration from Gladiator to Wrangler did not happen in 2020.

I have also attached photos showing how the TrailCam would have been useless with my bumper set up and how the Natika Cam was mounted.

DEN Wrangler Camera  BiPH Apr 2020 001.jpg

DEN Wrangler Camera  BiPH Apr 2020 002.jpg

DEN Wrangler Camera  BiPH Apr 2020 003.jpg

DEN Wrangler Camera  BiPH Apr 2020 004.jpg

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I used the Gladiator TrailCam on the Rubicon Trail last Sept and was very impressed. As a result, when I ordered my new Wrangler Rubi in November, I desperately wanted to find a way to get one. In hindsight, I am glad it didn't work out as it is really only a good deal if you are sticking with a stock steel bumper with no adds to it. Otherwise, your view of what is in front of your tires will be blocked.

I ended up using the Tazer system but, based on another thread in this forum, went with a $40 Natika 720p camera on Amazon rather than Tazer's camera. I thought the Natika would be better to mount under my bull bar and I might get greater resolution. So far, I am very happy with the set up although, even though the camera is super wide angle and is set back only a couple of inches from the front bumper, I can still only see from 16" and beyond in front of my tires.

I have attached screen shots of the HD backup camera (the one showing more trees) and the 480-720p front camera (the one showing an open garage door). The backup camera, which is the same brightness and resolution as the Gladiator TrailCam is significantly brighter and higher resolution than the front but the front is plenty adequate to see what is coming at the vehicle below the hood line. I understand the resolution limit is not with the 8.4" screen as it can display the HD backup but rather the connection to it and that is one reason why the migration from Gladiator to Wrangler did not happen in 2020.

I have also attached photos showing how the TrailCam would have been useless with my bumper set up and how the Natika Cam was mounted.
Very nice - I use a similar/same Nikita camera for the backup on my JKU with an aftermarket head unit, but on my JLR I mounted the front Tazer on the bull bar on my Stryker bumper exactly like you did here. Picture quality isn't as good as the JL rear cam, but it works just fine. Need to see those rocks!

Sponsored

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I've looked all over but can't seem to see anything about this...is it possible to use the front cam (or stock rear cam) and record the data so that it is a "dash cam"?

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
I wonder if it makes more sense to just use the reverse camera's input and use an A/B switch to activate the front cam. I'm pretty sure you can pull-up the reverse camera while driving, although I haven't tested it for very long.

The input selector switch could even be wired to the OEM aux switches for a clean install.
I would like to try a full hd front camera with a fakra adapted A/B switch on the rear cameras input. does anyone know which switch would work?
and has anyone found a camera either without nightvision or switchable nightvision? I cant use trail lights at night as it messes up nightvision.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR