Trading In: Dealer vs. Online?

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
My sense is that your preferred option is to trade to the dealer. You believe their offer is fair and willing to live with it so I think going that route makes sense for you.

As others mentioned, I too had a good experience with Vroom. I sold my wife's car for about 3k more than what dealers were offering for trade. Additionally, in my state, I have 90 days to apply the sale as a credit on my sales tax purchase of a new vehicle, whether the vehicle was sold to a private party or dealer. So for me, the extra work associated with working with Vroom made the most sense as I still got the benefit of applying that as an offset to her new vehicle.

I don't believe the above is an option in most other states so I would factor in the potential tax implications. If your tax rate is around 8 percent, the benefit of Vroom is almost completely offset, unless of course you intend to buy a vehicle from Vroom as well to maintain the tax benefit, but I don't think you want to do that. So in the end, for your specific situation, just go with the dealer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CatskillsAlex

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
My sense is that your preferred option is to trade to the dealer. You believe their offer is fair and willing to live with it so I think going that route makes sense for you.

As others mentioned, I too had a good experience with Vroom. I sold my wife's car for about 3k more than what dealers were offering for trade. Additionally, in my state, I have 90 days to apply the sale as a credit on my sales tax purchase of a new vehicle, whether the vehicle was sold to a private party or dealer. So for me, the extra work associated with working with Vroom made the most sense as I still got the benefit of applying that as an offset to her new vehicle.

I don't believe the above is an option in most other states so I would factor in the potential tax implications. If your tax rate is around 8 percent, the benefit of Vroom is almost completely offset, unless of course you intend to buy a vehicle from Vroom as well to maintain the tax benefit, but I don't think you want to do that. So in the end, for your specific situation, just go with the dealer.
Yup, 8% indeed… Thank you for weighing in, @Blanco802! :like:

RowdySouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR Mojito 6-speed, 2000 TJ (retired)
Sold a sports car to Carmax as they had the highest quote vs everyone else; many dealers came under the offer and struggled to match. Online options were even worse, but if you have a trade in mind on the lot then you may get the tax advantage and most may match your Carmax offer.

Only issue was it took 6 hours to sell the car there. They were wildly busy with everyone coming in on Saturday to offload their cars at the peak. Consider going during the work week. Move quick because I missed the July offer and it dropped 1k since 2 weeks later. They're now getting a glut of cars on their lots.

dug4xe

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue JLUR 4xe
Quick question related to this... I have a pro-installed Warn bumper and Zeon-10S winch on my JLUR (see my profile pic). Carvana lets me pick "steel bumper" and "winch" options, so I just chose those. Vroom does not, so I'm wondering what I should do to both 1) Be honest with Vroom and avoid surprises at pickup, but also 2) Get the most money from their algorithm. Should I leave it off completely? Or list it in the "things that could affect your vehicle value" field? I don't consider it a "mod" like suspension or something like that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anybody have any experience with winches/bumpers and selling to Carvana/Vroom that can provide advice? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored