Sponsored

Trading in a Wrangler with 35" tires is starting to be a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubincon JL 2DR
My dealer organization takes in lifted Jeeps with aftermarket tires and wheels all the time, they sell just as quickly as non-molested pre-owned Jeeps do. For a while during summer of 21, we were seeking modded Jeeps for all of our lots (Honda, Toyota, CDJR). The only issue would be the used car warranty purchased with one, if the customer went the route to purchase one, if it covered the aftermarket parts or not (that was up to the owner and service managers).

In your case, the dealer may want to certify it, which means it will need to be bone stock as it was new, but a certified Wrangler is pointless if someone is going to toy with it after taking it home, because any aftermarket components like a lift will immediately void the warranty... Perhaps up to dealer preference, but in my experience, we took all Jeeps on trade regardless it being stock or not.

Note: if you financially can do it, I personally take off the factory wheels and tires immediately and store them and put on my 35' K02s. When it comes time to trade, I put the factory set back on, that way it is bone stock and my Jeep store is taking it on trade with brand new tires (a plus for their dealer investment). When I get my new Jeep, I repeat the process.
Certification rules must be treated as "suggestions" by some dealers. I purchased myJeep back in September with a freshly applied Jeep certified pre-owned seal of approval. Complete with over 10K in mods including 37's.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trading in a Wrangler with 35" tires is starting to be a pain. Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 5.40.46 PM
Sponsored

JAKE.JEEPER

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 High Altitude 4xe
Occupation
Finance Manager
Certification rules must be treated as "suggestions" by some dealers. I purchased myJeep back in September with a freshly applied Jeep certified pre-owned seal of approval. Complete with over 10K in mods including 37's.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trading in a Wrangler with 35" tires is starting to be a pain. Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 5.40.46 PM
Interesting! My auto group will only certify vehicles if they are bone stock.

Gnomad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 392 XR, C7Z Corvette, C5Z Corvette
It seems for decades now I have seen used Jeeps being sold by Jeep dealers with 35"s and bigger poking out the fenders inches with no cares. Now I am looking at trading mine in, with 17x9 -12 offset (about 2.5-3" past fenders) and 3 dealers now said they would have to dock my trade $1500 because they can't sell it like that and would need to put stock wheels and tires on it. Anyone else have this issue? The dealers were in PA and MD.
Doesn’t surprise me the tires are causing issues in PA…Illegal to drive with your doors off there too. 🤬

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
That would help if the "legality" was the issue, but the non-OEM parts are the issue.
From your original post, it sounded like their primary issue was them not being able to sell it like that, likely due to it not legitimately being able to pass PA inspection. A set of XR fender flares would potentially solve that (maybe) and should be cheaper than the $1,500 they want to penalize you (though in all honesty, they're probably just looking for any excuse to knock your trade-in value down). Otherwise, I really don't see any issue with a vehicle not having OEM wheels and tires unless they're in poor condition or complete junk brands.

Guess you could probably source a set of Rubicon take-offs for less than a grand and then keep or re-sell your aftermarket set and still come out ahead, but it seems like a lot of time and effort for that price, and they'll probably just find something else "wrong" with the vehicle to ding you a comparable amount.

Dunno. Was just an idea! đź‘Ť

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Doesn’t surprise me the tires are causing issues in PA…Illegal to drive with your doors off there too. 🤬
Yea that’s not permitted here in PA. I’ve seen a few jeeps with doors off on road back in summer though, guess it’s like window tint unless the cops really care in some of the areas.

Reactions: AFD

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
That would help if the "legality" was the issue, but the non-OEM parts are the issue.
OK— Requiring legal makes sense, BUT— how many Jeeps get traded in with 100% OEM parts?? I smell dealer BS!

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

OP mentioned the dealer wants to sell it as CPO. They can command a few more dollars and warrantee it. I totally understand where they are coming from.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
This is the answer I always get. “Move”. Lol. Every time I post something about whatever happens in California they tell me to leave.
Heck— my wife hasn’t bugged me to move out of Ca since noon, although…...she is taking a nap…..🙄

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
It seems for decades now I have seen used Jeeps being sold by Jeep dealers with 35"s and bigger poking out the fenders inches with no cares. Now I am looking at trading mine in, with 17x9 -12 offset (about 2.5-3" past fenders) and 3 dealers now said they would have to dock my trade $1500 because they can't sell it like that and would need to put stock wheels and tires on it. Anyone else have this issue? The dealers were in PA and MD.
Depending on the jeep you are getting it could also be easier to trade in a state where wheel poke isnt much of an issue.

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Another solution could be EZ Flares XL. 🤷‍♂️

I have them on my Jeep and they work great! Perfectly cover the tire tread-poke, and I actually just passed inspection with them as well. đź‘Ť

Jeep Wrangler JL Trading in a Wrangler with 35" tires is starting to be a pain. 7364109E-C892-4627-87E1-51F632365D03

Reactions: AFD

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Depending on the jeep you are getting it could also be easier to trade in a state where wheel poke isnt much of an issue.
Other than for dealer resell and yearly inspection, I really don't think tire/wheel poke is considered much of an issue here. I see several trucks every day driving around like that, some quite extreme. Maybe it varies in certain parts of the state?

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Other than for dealer resell and yearly inspection, I really don't think tire/wheel poke is considered much of an issue here. I see several trucks every day driving around like that, some quite extreme. Maybe it varies in certain parts of the state?
What state do you reside in?

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
I think I like your wheels and tires, I might be interested in trading, Iv got stock rubicon wheels and tires with less than 1000 miles on them I might be willing to trade but we’d have to ship them out

I’m sure we can figure something out
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.