Sponsored

Trading in a Wrangler with 35" tires is starting to be a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
It seems for decades now I have seen used Jeeps being sold by Jeep dealers with 35"s and bigger poking out the fenders inches with no cares. Now I am looking at trading mine in, with 17x9 -12 offset (about 2.5-3" past fenders) and 3 dealers now said they would have to dock my trade $1500 because they can't sell it like that and would need to put stock wheels and tires on it. Anyone else have this issue? The dealers were in PA and MD.
Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
In PA you fail inspection if the tire sticks out pass the fenders, if you go by the book.

Tough spot to be in unless you can find a private buyer or willing to buy some take off wheels and tires to install yourself before trading it in.

OP
OP
overboosted

overboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU(sold) 2021 JLURD
I'm sure I could find someone that would trade even up for their stock set-up, but not sure I wanna deal with that.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Makes sense to me.

It may have to be inspected on sale to a new owner/registrant, I don't know, but that may be an issue for the selling dealer. If the new buyer can't pass inspect, they'll go back on the dealer to make good.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
My Jeep is inspected in PA till 11/23, there's always a way ;)
Yeah, I know they pass inspection all the time, haha.

But I am guessing it is different for the dealership to be selling it that way.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
We have about ten Jeep dealers in the Phoenix metro area. The abundance of alternatives seems to curb the shenanigans. Have you considered selling privately? Believe or not, I’ve had good luck on Craigs List. The potential purchasers will not have any issues with 35s

Sponsored

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
So that wouldn’t affect an extreme recon package with 35s since it’s covered under factory warranty?
XR package tires still sit inside fenders with the flare extensions.

Maryland/PA state laws are very strict when it comes to no tire poke unfortunately. You’re lucky the dealer is only docking it $1500 tbh. I say buy some cheap stockers and sell yours to make up for the $1500 plus more.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Same thing up in Maine. When we were there last month I saw a 2022 or 23 Gladiator that had the poison spider or some kind of spider edition package that looked amazing and I wanted to buy it immediately. I pull into the dealer and inquire about it and they were saying they can’t even sell it the way it was sent to them, because of the extra wide tires that poked out 1.5 inches from the fender edge. They weren’t even sure why Jeep sent it to them that way as they knew it couldn’t be sold in that state.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I'm sure I could find someone that would trade even up for their stock set-up, but not sure I wanna deal with that.
Seems a smart way to handle. Or buy some newish OEM take off and hold or sell yours.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
So that wouldn’t affect an extreme recon package with 35s since it’s covered under factory warranty?
His issue is the AM offset on a stock fender. The 35"s may be a ding too for dealer certifying since they are not stock but... the XR package wouldn't have these issues as its a "Stock" JLU option.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.