Sponsored

Trading in a Power Wagon for a JLR

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hey all,
Just joined. I admit I havent done much searching yet. I am about to trade in my 2016 Ram Power Wagon for a 2019 JLR. Before the PW, I was a TJ/YJ guy so I have some knowledge of the older Wranglers. But from what Ive been reading, the JL is on a whole new level.
Honestly, only got the PW cuz was planning on buying a big boat. Never happened. Still drove it for 3.5 years. Now realize I dont need it. Only thing I tow is a small HF utility trailer.
Anyways, I went for a test drive today of a JLR, 3.6, 6 sp manual hardtop. Very Impressed with how it handles. This particular one is about as bare bones for a Rubi that I could find. No safety stuff , leather, or heated seats. Just 8.4 nav and hardtop. Thats all I want.
If I get it, down the line, Ill upgrade the bumpers, add a winch, etc.
But for now, what mods need to be made to fit 35s? It USED to be a whole big thing to get 35s+ under these correctly.
Also, gotta do it. What mpg can I expect with a light foot on a 2 door JLR manual?
Given...Im coming from a 6.4 hemi PW on 35s that weighs over 7000 pounds. Combined 12.5 on that sucker hand calculated. And thats considered good.
Anyways, thanks for any info and advice. Ill be able to search around for this stuff once I get a little more time too.
Sponsored

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
35s should fit a Rubi with no modification. I put 315/70/17s (about 34") on mine on the stock wheels and have absolutely no problem. I've heard some rub 35s on full flex, but they fit fine if you're not doing a lot of rock crawling.

Of course they look better with a bit of a lift, but that's a different question.

OP
OP

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks for the replies.
Oh, Id be completely satisfied with 18. Thats a significant jump from where Im at now.
Yes, the PW is a total monster in every sense, but as a DD, it definitely gets old.
Ive heard the 8 speed auto is really great as well. One reason, besides the fact I just like driving stick, is that I remember on my TJ auto, I had to regear all the way up to 4.88s and still had to turn the OD off when I lifted and went with 33s. On my TJ manual rubi, I went to 35s and kept the 4.10s. 4.56 was suggested, but the 4.10s were not terrible. Just trying to think ahead here. Would prefer not have to regear. But I dont know if that all still holds true for these newer Jeeps. Those were TJs after all.
Also, the 315s are basically 35s in my book...depending on the brand of tire. If thats what it takes with no mods to the stock suspension, thats what Ill start with. Easy enough. Thanks again guys. Ill keep doing some research and hopefully tomorrow, ill be back in a Jeep with a new JLR.

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a couple of good threads on 315s/35s on stock Rubicons with stock wheels and no rubbing. When our 33s are done, I’m planning to upsize. Additionally, Lite Brite has some early videos of their JLUR on 35s, then 37s with just the RC 2.5” spacer lift and stock wheels. Said it rode the same, lost a little articulation, but were killing it on the trail. Cheap and easy.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Trust me when I tell you, you wont NEED to regear with 35s. The problem with the TJ/Lj auto was the deep OD, .63 or some shit. I had an 05 LJ Rubicon and 5.38s for my 37s. I have 37s on my JL Rubicon and its plenty capable of handling it with little annoyance. 35s will be a great combo for stock Rubicon. The 8 speed is phenomenal. Much better than the turd they put in the TJ/LJs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Well its done. New owner of a JLR 6 speed. Fwiw, I did drive an 8 spd auto, but still decided to go with the manual. The auto had some packages that I didnt want. I wanted about as bare bones rubi as possible. Thnx for the help guys. Look forward to searching around here and getting this thing goin.
Btw, took me a good 10-15 miles to get used to the 6ft shorter wheelbase....lol

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Glad you're here Tim

Curious, LED package or naw, as I hear that helps with night vision

OP
OP

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
No sir.
Only package is 8.4 nav with freedom black HT and slush mats. Thats it.
I wouldve liked the heated seats and wheel, but I can live without it.
Can upgrade LEDs later along with bumpers, etc.
First thing is throwing on a recever hitch.

NavyChief

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler 2dr
Well its done. New owner of a JLR 6 speed.
Btw, took me a good 10-15 miles to get used to the 6ft shorter wheelbase....lol
Congrats! Post up some pics. I feel ya on the wheelbase. I traded my mega cab dually for my 2dr. I was weaving for a few miles.

OP
OP

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
LOL....Thats exact right there. I was weaving. Almost felt like if a cop was behind me, he might pull me over.
Im already better tho. Had to go straight to wotk from the dealer. After work, I just drove around a little on the country roads near me. All good now. Muscle memory.
Sponsored