Chevyjlewis

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
1st of all this is my 1st post. HELLO.

I bought a new 2019 toyota tundra in august before my 2nd son arrived. We are looking at trading my wifes nissan rogue innon a used van. I was researching vans and it led to looking at jeeps and here we are. Blue book is equal to what i paid for my tundra new. I have 2 boys in car seats now so the tundra is nice for the huge backseat. Plus the bed hauls stuff nicely. It is a really nice truck, but its a truck and i feel like a Jeep would be a much funner family ride. I can get a small trailer if i need to get lumber or mulch a few times a year. Do you think this is a good idea? My wife doesnt care either way because she is getting out of her little rogue for a larger van. The jeep is essentially the same size as her rogue only much more fun and useful in my opinion. We throw the dogs in the back and the boys in rear seat and go to the river or anywhere the van wont.
Sponsored

vlade31

First Name
Yasir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150

I bought a new 2019 toyota tundra in august before my 2nd son arrived. We are looking at trading my wifes nissan rogue innon a used van. I was researching vans and it led to looking at jeeps and here we are. Blue book is equal to what i paid for my tundra new. I have 2 boys in car seats now so the tundra is nice for the huge backseat. Plus the bed hauls stuff nicely. It is a really nice truck, but its a truck and i feel like a Jeep would be a much funner family ride. I can get a small trailer if i need to get lumber or mulch a few times a year. Do you think this is a good idea? My wife doesnt care either way because she is getting out of her little rogue for a larger van. The jeep is essentially the same size as her rogue only much more fun and useful in my opinion. We throw the dogs in the back and the boys in rear seat and go to the river or anywhere the van wont.
There are no side airbags in back seats in wranglers so not exactly the safest for kids. And then of course I’m sure you’re aware Jeep isn’t as reliable as a Toyota. If you’re okay with those 2 issues then go for it.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Depending on your location, I wouldn’t trade your Tundra, but sell it outright. You should be able to sell it fairly quickly. People love their Toyotas.

Like another person mentioned, the Wrangler does not offer the same amount of safety items and protection as the tundra.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly dont know that I would do that trade if I had a little one. My boys are older now so they arent as delicate.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
In order to be really happy in a Jeep Wrangler, you have to really want a Jeep Wrangler.

Sponsored

RickyBobby316

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU

i traded my Silverado in for a 2019 JLU and while i love the jeep, it has not been working out as a family car. Great for fun but with little ones it is not the most practical/safest IMO

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If you have the room & budget you might consider a used JK for an extra family fun toy and keep your Tundra for main family hauling. Love our Toyotas and Jeeps, so hard to part with either IMO

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Welcome to the forum!

As someone who just traded a 2019 Tacoma TRD for a Jeep Wrangler, here’s my Top 3 things to look for:
  1. Test drive several Wranglers, thoroughly. There are tons of reports of steering problems: vague steering, loose steering, dead steering, death wobble, etc. Three model years later, FCA still has to issue a sure fix. Some JLs have it more than others, so drive several.
  2. Make sure to get a hefty discount. Six of the Top 10 resale values are Toyota vehicles. Yes, you will read that Wrangler resale is pretty good too, but Wranglers are very expensive compared to what you get in a Toyota. Make sure to get a hefty discount: 10% to 20% off MSRP is not out of the question.
  3. Jeep dealers SUCK! Yes there are exceptions, and not all Toyota dealers are a bed of roses either. But your average Jeep dealer will make your Toyota dealer feel like a Lexus experience.
I love Wranglers. But, personally, I wouldn’t trade a 2019 Tundra for a JL simply on the basis that “a Wrangler would be cool.”

Jeeps are an acquired taste. Make sure you get a Jeep for the right reasons. Otherwise, it will only take a couple of unschedule dealer visits to make you regret your decision.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Chevyjlewis

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Really the more likely scenario would be for me to trade in truck for $35k. Wife would trade rogue for $13k. We would take that combined money and she would buy a van. Most likely a pacifica because of stow n go. Then with the leftover money i would need a vehicle for me. Dogs and Kids rarely ride in my truck except going to countr . The van would suffice for that. I see this as an opportunity to get a vehicle that i can enjoy and one she wanta and the family needs. Thats why i was leaning jeep.
Sponsored