Sponsored

Trade value of a JLUR?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
No no worries. I appreciate the help and don’t mind any opinions. Well I owe 41,500 on the rubi and the second dealership gave me an online appraisal between 36,300 to 39,500. I figure if I can try to get the high side of the appraisal, that will leave me 2-3 grand negative equity. I can put 3 grand down, so hopefully that will cancel the beg equity out.

Then they offered me an online price of 34 grand for a 4x4 taco TRD off road. Idk how much more I can knock it down in person, but if I can roll everything into a 35,500 max loan with my 3 grand down, I’d be saving like almost 170 bucks a month in payments (idk how much can I bring the price down farther?)

I’m a Jeep guy all the way, but I figure I’ll get a truck until I can get back on my feet in 3 years and possibly look at the scrambler or a 2 door 2021 Wrangler. Trust me, I love my manual Jeep

Edit: the Colorado is about 4 grand cheaper than a taco, but I figure resale value on the taco will help me in the long run
You do realize that $3,000 divided by $170 is 17, right? Basically, with the $3k you are willing to put down on the Taco, you could pay the extra $170 a month payment for 1 1/2 years. So, really, you wouldn't save squat for at least that long. Then take into depreciation on the Taco and the negativity equity in the Jeep and it really makes no sense at all. Good luck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jpb

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Soon 2019 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Well update. I ended up getting over 41K for the rubicon from the dealership, which is more than I even paid for the jeep. I walked out with a new 18 Tacoma TDR offload fully loaded with a 29,800 loan at a 1.9% interest rate. I think it put me in a better spot financially...I'm 12,000 less in debt and 250 a month less in payments....resale value for a 17 tacoma on KBB private party with same options as my 2018 is around 37k...

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Well update. I ended up getting over 41K for the rubicon from the dealership, which is more than I even paid for the jeep. I walked out with a new 18 Tacoma TDR offload fully loaded with a 29,800 loan at a 1.9% interest rate. I think it put me in a better spot financially...I'm 12,000 less in debt and 250 a month less in payments....resale value for a 17 tacoma on KBB private party with same options as my 2018 is around 37k...
:clap::like:

dave.j.fisher

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wow, I thought for sure someone on this forum was going to buy the JL off of you...good read on this thread :like: Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jpb

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Soon 2019 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks...someone asked to, but they wanted automatic. In the words of the Arnold, I'll be back....

OP
OP

jpb

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Soon 2019 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Annddddd I'm already severely regretting it.:headbang: Tacoma is built nice quality and all but is underpowered and the clutch system on the manual transmission sucks! I feel like I'm going to push the clutch out of the firewall trying to start it lol. Also MPG is pretty bad for a Toyota misdsize. I just want a 2 door manual rubicon please and you haha :angel: Guess I'm a jeeper for life

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Annddddd I'm already severely regretting it.:headbang: Tacoma is built nice quality and all but is underpowered and the clutch system on the manual transmission sucks! I feel like I'm going to push the clutch out of the firewall trying to start it lol. Also MPG is pretty bad for a Toyota misdsize. I just want a 2 door manual rubicon please and you haha :angel: Guess I'm a jeeper for life
Well unless you are in a far better spot financially I would recommend holding on to the Toyota for a couple of years. All the drawbacks will lessen over time and you will be gaining equity with every car payment.

Sponsored

vlade31

First Name
Yasir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I have been trying to find a manual tacoma to test drive but there aren't any stock in the Houston area. I test drove the Rubicon JLU, it has an excellent manual transmission!! I test drove an automatic tacoma, it feels extremely underpowered and lugs in the higher gears because Toyota has clearly tuned it for mpg. yuck!

Closure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion tc
Well unless you are in a far better spot financially I would recommend holding on to the Toyota for a couple of years. All the drawbacks will lessen over time and you will be gaining equity with every car payment.
I heard some forum members mentioning getting a tune to fix crap feel on low rpm on Tacoma's but I don't really exactly remember what. Maybe search the forum for Tacoma tune to get the name of it. But idk if it will void warranty

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Hey all,

Does anyone know how much you could potentially get for selling private party or trading in your JLUR? It’s got 1800 miles, rubi, premium sound, hard too, garage opener, led lights, white, manual.

I don’t see anything listed on kbb or anywhere else yet. May have hit a financial snag recently and have to settle for a beater until things look up again. Thanks
I would go back to the dealership and just take it back and take a slight hit. Perhaps they could bill you the amount they wont cover. Should be a simple process. JLUR are in demand. It's not like it's a PT cruiser. Im sure they could find a buyer. Good luck to you sir and hopefully your luck turns around.

Reactions: jpb

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Sounds like he just wanted a Tacoma and the thread was to somehow justify it. No one in their right mind trades a new vehicle for another new one all while complaining that they can’t afford it. BS thread. Sounds like he needs to sell everything and go back to school and learn something.

Musicnjeepz

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKURR
Not sure why you didn’t consider a used JK. Oh well, have fun in the Tacoma! .....jeeper for life.
Sponsored