First Name
Ryan Tuthill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Punk’n
Occupation
USAF SF
So here’s my problem. Iv had my Sting Gray Spot S since I got back from deployment in November. It has cold weather package but I find myself wanting to add trailer/tow package, LED lights, Rubicon steel bumper, Rubicon wheels/tires, and my question is would it be smarter to trade in my lease and take the hit and order a Rubicon with all this included or just to add stuff bit by bit. I have ALOT of Rubicon jealousy and now regret not getting one so just would love some feedback. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored

nik2688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU 2018
So here’s my problem. Iv had my Sting Gray Spot S since I got back from deployment in November. It has cold weather package but I find myself wanting to add trailer/tow package, LED lights, Rubicon steel bumper, Rubicon wheels/tires, and my question is would it be smarter to trade in my lease and take the hit and order a Rubicon with all this included or just to add stuff bit by bit. I have ALOT of Rubicon jealousy and now regret not getting one so just would love some feedback. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I would say try to transfer your lease at websites like swapalease or leasetrader. If someone can take over your lease you will be out with little money vs. trade in.

OP
OP
TuTTerZZ12

TuTTerZZ12

First Name
Ryan Tuthill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Punk’n
Occupation
USAF SF
My only problem with that is I’d have to order it and wait because I can’t be without a vehicle

flightace47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeeps yet
I would recommend that you swap the lease to someone else and then order exactly what you want. Price out the Rubicon first. Packages get stacked, e.g. you have to get the LED light package to get the steel bumpers.

Two things to keep in mind:
- With other brands (I don’t know about Jeep), you’ll get slapped down hard for doing any mods to a leased vehicle. One of my wife’s coworkers had their leased car repossessed because they modded it. Pretty sure they had to either de-mod it or pay extra on the depreciation on a forced turn-in.
- Modding the lower models to upgrade to “Rubicon” parts isn’t cheap. You’ll still be missing the driveline stuff. If you specifically want the Rubicon bits, or at least the Rubicon driveline parts, get a Rubicon to start with.

Make sure to take a step back and really evaluate why you want a Rubicon. If you’re going to use it, then great, go get one. If you’re doing it just to get the “badge”, then buy out your lease and mod away.

There’s also the in between of buying an on-lot Rubicon to mod or getting one used.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TuTTerZZ12

TuTTerZZ12

First Name
Ryan Tuthill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Punk’n
Occupation
USAF SF
I would recommend that you swap the lease to someone else and then order exactly what you want. Price out the Rubicon first. Packages get stacked, e.g. you have to get the LED light package to get the steel bumpers.

Two things to keep in mind:
- With other brands (I don’t know about Jeep), you’ll get slapped down hard for doing any mods to a leased vehicle. One of my wife’s coworkers had their leased car repossessed because they modded it. Pretty sure they had to either de-mod it or pay extra on the depreciation on a forced turn-in.
- Modding the lower models to upgrade to “Rubicon” parts isn’t cheap. You’ll still be missing the driveline stuff. If you specifically want the Rubicon bits, or at least the Rubicon driveline parts, get a Rubicon to start with.

Make sure to take a step back and really evaluate why you want a Rubicon. If you’re going to use it, then great, go get one. If you’re doing it just to get the “badge”, then buy out your lease and mod away.

There’s also the in between of buying an on-lot Rubicon to mod or getting one used.
Yea I live in New England (Maine) and it’s hard to o w by Rubicon take offs. That and the ONLY mods Iv done is plasti-dipped the badges and added a fuel cover. I want a Rubicon because I would like to do some small trails but it just makes sense because I just love everything the stock Rubicon comes with (wheels/tires, steel bumper, LED lights) and after that I wouldn’t have to mod it at all and I’d be completely happy with all that and just leaving it alone. Currently trying to get my GF to take over payments and sell her car but hers is hard to sell (Ford escape). And roughly how long do orders take to ship now?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Yea I live in New England (Maine) and it’s hard to o w by Rubicon take offs. That and the ONLY mods Iv done is plasti-dipped the badges and added a fuel cover. I want a Rubicon because I would like to do some small trails but it just makes sense because I just love everything the stock Rubicon comes with (wheels/tires, steel bumper, LED lights) and after that I wouldn’t have to mod it at all and I’d be completely happy with all that and just leaving it alone. Currently trying to get my GF to take over payments and sell her car but hers is hard to sell (Ford escape). And roughly how long do orders take to ship now?
:giggle: "won't have to mod it and I'd be completely happy".... I think that's what all the guys say.

If you love the Rubicon then order one. But it's not like your sport isn't capable of handling the trails. I miss living in Maine. :(

Edit: I've read ppl getting their Jeeps within 3 weeks of ordering.

OP
OP
TuTTerZZ12

TuTTerZZ12

First Name
Ryan Tuthill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Punk’n
Occupation
USAF SF
:giggle: "won't have to mod it and I'd be completely happy".... I think that's what all the guys say.

If you love the Rubicon then order one. But it's not like your sport isn't capable of handling the trails. I miss living in Maine. :(

Edit: I've read ppl getting their Jeeps within 3 weeks of ordering.
Where did you live in Maine and where do you live now? I know it’s capable enough for what I’d use it for but I know I still want to add all the other stuff to it so it makes sense to upgrade. And I think I’d rather pay the extra monthly and be complacent not modding it.

3DogNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Rubicon - Firecracker Red
Occupation
UX Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Don't make poor financial choices.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Where did you live in Maine and where do you live now? I know it’s capable enough for what I’d use it for but I know I still want to add all the other stuff to it so it makes sense to upgrade. And I think I’d rather pay the extra monthly and be complacent not modding it.
I lived in Bangor but then I joined the Army after 9-11. After 6 yrs in the Army, I moved back to Ohio where my family is. But I'd go back to Maine in a heartbeat if I could talk my husband into it :like:

O, your GF could make the lease payments on the Sport if she were your wife:giggle:... Lol just a gentle prod:idea:

OP
OP
TuTTerZZ12

TuTTerZZ12

First Name
Ryan Tuthill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Punk’n
Occupation
USAF SF
I lived in Bangor but then I joined the Army after 9-11. After 6 yrs in the Army, I moved back to Ohio where my family is. But I'd go back to Maine in a heartbeat if I could talk my husband into it :like:

O, your GF could make the lease payments on the Sport if she were your wife:giggle:... Lol just a gentle prod:idea:
Yea I’m currently Air Force in Bangor. Yea she said she will take it over if I can sell her Ford Escape but that might be difficult without taking a hit in it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Orders are coming in FAST now, my JLUR showed up in half the time they expected. It's just a few weeks nowadays.
I think the factory is shut down for a couple of weeks now to re-tool.

flightace47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeeps yet
FYI the Rubicons do NOT come with steel bumpers or LED lights standard. Those two together are about 2k in options. Still waiting on my custom order to start build (placed on the 12th of May).
Sponsored