Sponsored

Trade-In Value of 2018 2-Door JL Rubicon?

jasceni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Ocean Blue
So I bought a 2018 2 door JLR a little over 2 years ago for around $45k, I have a little less then 12k miles on it and still owe around 20k. I need to give up the 2 door life for now and need something with more space so I was looking at the Gladiator and I was hoping to get some realistic numbers as far as trade-in value. If any of you have experience please feel free to comment below. I know the blue book doesn't mean that's the number its worth and it more closely related to the auction price as I understand and some dealers are more helpful then others but I have no experience with auction pricing for vehicles and I would love to have more knowledge before I head to a dealer. Thanks for any help provided!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You can use KBB numbers to your advantage in the negotiation, though. I have used KBB in the past for private sale and it’s been pretty close. For trade in, I normally chop $2,000 off the KBB value and it comes quite close.

One other thing: there appears to be tighter supply of Wranglers than Gladiators at the moment. So dealers should be happy to take your JL in trade and sell you a JT.

Good luck!

PS - I don’t know which Gladiator you are looking at, but Jeep has been having 2020 Sports and Overlands on Employee Pricing for a few months. That’s 10% off MSRP!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
So I bought a 2018 2 door JLR a little over 2 years ago for around $45k, I have a little less then 12k miles on it and still owe around 20k. I need to give up the 2 door life for now and need something with more space so I was looking at the Gladiator and I was hoping to get some realistic numbers as far as trade-in value. If any of you have experience please feel free to comment below. I know the blue book doesn't mean that's the number its worth and it more closely related to the auction price as I understand and some dealers are more helpful then others but I have no experience with auction pricing for vehicles and I would love to have more knowledge before I head to a dealer. Thanks for any help provided!
I privately sold my 2016 JKR (17K miles) this summer and had absolutely no problem getting KBB retail. I never sell my vehicles myself, but the dealers' offers were lower than KBB trade-in, so I gave it a try. Nothing fancy: detailed it, wrote compelling ad copy, and listed it on Craigslist.

p.s. Don't buy the "auction value" baloney. They are NOT going to auction a low mileage JLR - they're just trying to low-ball you.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
p.s. Don't buy the "auction value" baloney. They are NOT going to auction a low mileage JLR - they're just trying to low-ball you.
It’s not that they are going to turn around and sell the vehicle at auction. It’s about what they would pay at auction to purchase it

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I privately sold my 2016 JKR (17K miles) this summer and had absolutely no problem getting KBB retail. I never sell my vehicles myself, but the dealers' offers were lower than KBB trade-in, so I gave it a try. Nothing fancy: detailed it, wrote compelling ad copy, and listed it on Craigslist.

That’s been my experience as well.

I’ve sold four Wranglers privately. KBB was right on the money, and they sold fast!

Sponsored

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Just sold an 18’ Sahara Unlimited with 23K miles. Received $500 under the highest KBB trade-in value and 1% under invoice on the new 21’ Rubicon.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I was under cash crunch and https://www.carvana.com offered me 10k less then what I paid for my 2018 JLR... Check them out... I did have 12k milage which helped.

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I second what Aldo said about using KBB as the baseline for trading in your Jeep. I traded in a 2019 2 DR Sport S with mileage of approximately 6,500 for a 2 DR Rubicon July this year - and my awesome dealership actually gave me KBB value without any negotiation. I also checked the price that I would get if I sell my Jeep via Carvana and it was $1K lower than the trade in that my dealership offered. On top of that - I got 4% off invoice. I did not disclosed KBB and Carvana prices to the dealership that sold me my new Jeep - but it was amazing that the price that was stated was right on target to my expected number.

You can read more about my experience in trading in my Jeep thru the posting below :like:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...arison-and-thoughts-vs-2019-jl-sport-s.58673/

Good luck!!!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It’s not that they are going to turn around and sell the vehicle at auction. It’s about what they would pay at auction to purchase it
I understand that. My point was, it's so improbable that the vehicle would be auctioned that using that price point as some sort of valuation proxy is silly.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm not sure if this is still going on, but this summer, when I was selling my JKR, the used car market actually appreciated in value for several months in a row. Pandemic at work.

Sponsored

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
I was T-boned in my 2018 JLR. Everything was repaired under insurance, but I wanted to get a new one so I traded it on an identical ordered 2021 JLR. My dealer gave me 31,500 for the trade in and about 6% under invoice on the new one.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if this is still going on, but this summer, when I was selling my JKR, the used car market actually appreciated in value for several months in a row. Pandemic at work.
Yes. Cars, new and used, are very expensive right now. Demand has been outstripping supply for months.

Several dealer groups have posted their highest quarterly profits...ever.

OP
OP
jasceni

jasceni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Ocean Blue
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I have an appointment on Saturday and hopefully the dealer wants to work out a deal, I'm just waiting on some different colors before I pull the trigger.

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
I know my JLUR is not a 2-door, but I just negotiated $40k trade in value for mine with a manual transmission and with less than 18k miles. This is at a nationally known dealer in the PNW that publicly lists deep discounts on new inventory. This is only $1500 less than what I paid new for it, which is the only reason I am considering trading it!

I am still on the fence whether to actually trade it for a Gladiator though...

Cheers,
Aaron

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would also get a quote from VROOM, takes 5 minutes. I have sold a few jeeps to them and they were always higher than KBB and dealer trade. You can bring it with you and show the dealer the offer you have in hand.
Sponsored