Sponsored

Trade In Truck for Jeep? Wait for Jeep Truck?

Ozarkpaddler

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Ford F-150
I'll try to make this as short as I can, I'm looking for some opinions. First off, I live on a farm at the dead end of some of the worst county roads you could imagine in the Ozarks. 4WD is a must for mud and creeks, ground clearance, and occasional snow. We have an F-150 and my wife has a Jeep Renegade. BTW, I know, some Jeep folks turn their nose up at the little Jeep, but I'm 100% certain ours sees more difficult terrain on a weekly basis than many folks driving Wranglers?

Anyway, I've always had a truck because living on a farm requires you carry things around; we need it for carrying things like wood, fence posts, hay, and a canoe when I head to the river, etc. But a truck, with the wider turning radius, is a PIA getting through some of the gates, creek crossings, etc. I've thought that with a Wrangler, I could use my utility trailer and it would work just as well or BETTER? Plus, I can still put some stuff in the back of the Jeep if I need to?

So, that said, am I on the right track and would I be fine with the Wrangler or should I wait for the truck? I do have fond memories of the Scrambler that my uncle owned. I drove it all summer for years when I was a teenager. I loved it! We'd go hunting and fishing and he could drink all the beer he wanted and I got to DRIVE (LOL)! Don't worry, he never used a rifle or a shotgun when he was drinking.

And if I DO go for the Wrangler, wait for the JL or get me a good deal on a 2017? I would also be using it as a daily driver and I live a fer piece from work. But I already drive a truck, so I'm used to marginal gas mileage.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully I can get a few constructive opinions?
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Welcome to the forum!

As with any vehicle, you want it to meet your needs for what you need it for and your timeline and of course budget. Nobody knows how much the JT will cost at this point for sure. If you keep your vehicles a long time, I would definitely go with the JL. There are far too many improvements to ignore.

If you think the JL can meet your towing requirements with your trailer, that is the way I would go.

OP
OP
Ozarkpaddler

Ozarkpaddler

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Ford F-150
Welcome to the forum!

As with any vehicle, you want it to meet your needs for what you need it for and your timeline and of course budget. Nobody knows how much the JT will cost at this point for sure. If you keep your vehicles a long time, I would definitely go with the JL. There are far too many improvements to ignore.

If you think the JL can meet your towing requirements with your trailer, that is the way I would go.
Gosh, thanks so much for the quick reply! I can get by with 2K lbs towing. Thanks for giving me something to "Chew on" about those improvements.

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome!

The jeep would definitely a better turning radius and trailers to aid in functionality of things but if you use you bed frequently, why not go for a Colorado or Tacoma? They have better turning radii along with the off-road capability that you are looking for. I love jeeps as much as the next guy on the forum but from what you describe, a pickup truck seems perfect for your application.

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
You’re in the same position as I am. You use a truck bed for random things, therefore you’d likely be happier waiting for the Scrambler version. I’ll be doing just that

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I think when pricing comes out on the JT model, a lot of guys are going to balk. I've seen it reported numerous times that Jeep is not going to sell a stripped down version. This Jeep pickup is likely going to be well into the $40Ks starting price, and with the diesel I'll bet it ends up close to $50K. For that kind of money, you could buy a Ram Power Wagon and have FAR more utility, comfort, and offroad capability for farm life.

So I guess what I'm saying is, IF price is a factor for you, I'd advise waiting a few more months to see how JT pricing shakes out. Then make a decision.

whatroads

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 QC 4x4, 2012 Wangler
Go out to the RAMTRUCK web site an price a new base model RAM QC. Of course, this is a list price. It's still sticker shock! They're as high as a base JLU Rubicon. I expect the new JT will be similar in initial price.

I too am in the same boat you are. This issue I having is how short the bed will be on the JT. I'm leaning heavily on a Rubicon JLU. Building/modifying a 6-7 ft trailer for off road hauling. Not trail driving

OP
OP
Ozarkpaddler

Ozarkpaddler

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Ford F-150
You’re in the same position as I am. You use a truck bed for random things, therefore you’d likely be happier waiting for the Scrambler version. I’ll be doing just that
Thank you'all for your help! I think I will wait for the truck to come out. Patience....patience........

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
As a Wrangler Owner for the past 4 years I can't wait for the Scrambler as it simply doesn't offer all the utility I personally need. Plus I hate throwing dirty stuff inside it which gets everything else dirty.

With what you wrote I think the Scrambler, a Colorado (maybe even the ZR2), or a Tacoma would be a great fit for you, as it seems you F150 is just too large. Like others said I don't think the Scrambler will be cheap and might be in full size pricing, but if you want a mid-size truck that is off road capable and has a diesel you wont have too many other choices (ZR2 is the only one).

Devsfan3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I traded in a 2012 JKR for a 2015 Colorado. The Colorado is a fantastic midsize truck, and it really does sound perfect for your applications.

Personally, I'm planning on trading my Colorado back in for a JLU, but I don't use the Colorado for nearly as much "truck stuff" as I anticipated when I got it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ozarkpaddler

Ozarkpaddler

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Ford F-150
Well, looks like I'm going to forget about the Scrambler thanks to this: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-be-net-cash-positive-by-june-marchionne-says
If you don't want to skim through the article, the disturbing paragraph is "The Jeep Wrangler-based pickup truck does not yet have a name, despite press reports that it will carry the historic "Scrambler" name. Marchionne said the Jeep pickup will be "expensive; intentionally so" because it is designed as a lifestyle truck that is likely to generate annual sales below 100,000 units. "I'm a natural buyer for that pickup truck, by the way," Marchionne said, adding the Jeep pickup won't compete with the midsize Ford Ranger or the Chevrolet Colorado on price, and won't be in dealerships until mid-2019."

Very discouraging for some of us working class Joes. Sounds like it's to be the 2019 version of the Hummer many drove as "Status symbols?" We used to joke to each other that we never saw a Hummer that had a speck of dirt on them. Doesn't sound like it's my uncle's Scrambler?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Same here. The JT looked perfect for my needs, but not at full size truck prices. The mid size trucks already lag a bit in terms of cost/capability, and if the Jeep will be that much more, it isn't worth it.

Now I'm torn...a pickup would be useful for my needs, but I've always wanted a Wrangler. I'm leaning towards a JLU and a beater pickup.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
That said. I can't count the number of full size pickups I see at work that have never seen dirt. I could see the JT appealing to that crowd.

OP
OP
Ozarkpaddler

Ozarkpaddler

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Ford F-150
That said. I can't count the number of full size pickups I see at work that have never seen dirt. I could see the JT appealing to that crowd.
Yup! The statement "I'm a natural buyer for that pickup truck, by the way," Marchionne said tells me it's made for the 6-7 figure truck buyer, not us working stiffs.

I've been wanting to get into a dealer just to see what kind of a deal I could get on a Wrangler, but am on week 3 of this Flu/pneumonia/respiratory plague that's going around in MO. Looks like it may give me the opportunity to compare a JK and a JL head to head? I've even toyed with the idea of buying another Renegade Trailhawk (have his & hers) with the removable sunroof and taking the back seats out of mine? Now that the "Should I wait for the Scrambler" equation is off the table for me, I'm going to explore my options.

BTW, thanks to everyone whom chimed in to help!

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
The statement "I'm a natural buyer for that pickup truck, by the way," Marchionne said tells me it's made for the 6-7 figure truck buyer, not us working stiffs.
Crazy. When I read that I thought why would he say that? Pretty sure he was somehow trying to say it relating to some unseen/unknown hard working lifestyle he believes himself to have. But it's backfiring with people only believing it's related to his other comment about it being expensive and thus taking his natural buyer comment to mean people having a significant income.
Sponsored