First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I have seen a lot of posts of JK owners trading in for the JL. I am curious if the JK’s are still holding their value like they have for years. I sold my JK several months ago because I was conrcerned with a JK price drop with the JL intro. If you’re trading
In are you being offered a fair trade value or did you/are you selling private?
Sponsored

6dors

First Name
Lauri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport/ Ordered order 5/8 JLUR
I have seen a lot of posts of JK owners trading in for the JL. I am curious if the JK’s are still holding their value like they have for years. I sold my JK several months ago because I was conrcerned with a JK price drop with the JL intro. If you’re trading
In are you being offered a fair trade value or did you/are you selling private?
I sold private and got a couple more K than what the dealership offered. I think I let mine go for an ok price, and probably could have waited for warmer weather to sell at a higher price, but it had really high mileage and don't know when my JL will be in. Soon hopefully.

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Luckily sold mine to a dealer that was looking for lifted jeeps and got mid retail for it.

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL. 2018 High Altitude Grand Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
Traded mine in to a dealership towards my JL. I got a good amount of trade in value towards the JL. Jeeps really hold their value better than most vehicles out there. It helped a little to having added accessories on mine to like lift,tires. I got Kelly Blue Book value for it so I was ok and got the JL below invoice.

Jeep421

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I sold my 2011 Sport Wrangler that only had 25,000 miles on it and was in mint condition for $5,000 more than any of the dealers were willing to give me for it
And I sold it in a week
I have found that if your vehicle is in good condition you are usually better off selling it yourself
Dealers only want to give you wholesale or low retail at best
If it’s in poor condition or high mileage probably best to trade it in just to get rid of it

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
On the average, figure you'll get 10 to 20 PERCENT less on a tradein, if you have the time--sell it on CRAIGS list/Autotrader or your local clubs/"For Sale boards--

Tradein is the quickest/simplest most secure way--sup to you-

Whatever

JIMBO

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I keep wondering if I should try to sell my Jeep before my JLU is built. I am thinking I may get 2K more selling myself but there are pros and cons to that. Anybody with more knowledge than me think the trade in my dealer is giving me is fair? I have already figured it was fair but looking for others opinions.

Pros:

I don't have to take the time to list it and deal with tire kickers
I get tax break at trade in that I would not get selling private (only taxed on difference in price not entire cost of new Jeep)

Cons:

Loose 2K maybe in what I could get? (this is actually less as I lose my tax break)
If it sells before my Jeep is built I'll be without a vehicle

My Jeep: (in excellent condition, detailed twice per year since owned)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Baja Yellow)
Mileage 28,000
Connectivity Group (ie bluetooth etc)
Running boards

Bought for 1% below invoice at $31,600.00
Best trade in I have been offered $25,000.00

duckhunter71

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150
I keep wondering if I should try to sell my Jeep before my JLU is built. I am thinking I may get 2K more selling myself but there are pros and cons to that. Anybody with more knowledge than me think the trade in my dealer is giving me is fair? I have already figured it was fair but looking for others opinions.

Pros:

I get tax break at trade in that I would not get selling private (only taxed on difference in price not entire cost of new Jeep)

Cons:

Loose 2K maybe in what I could get? (this is actually less as I lose my tax break)

Mileage 28,000
Running boards

How much is your tax benefit if you trade? If it’s close to the ~$2k more you’d get selling private party, then I’d just trade and save myself the trouble. I always use the trade in value as a base line for selling private party. I know the least I can get and anything over that is gravy. However, Arkansas allows us to apply the price of a private sale as a tax credit on a new purchase, so we get the tax benefit either way.

sfadchi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Bright White JLUR
Occupation
Corporate Recruiter
I knew no dealer would give me what I felt my Jeep was worth. 15' JKUR Hard Rock 25K miles, 3-1/2 Rock Krawler lift, 37s, ProRock 44 in the front, geared 4.56s, and a few other items. Ended up returning fully to stock. Sold all the parts off it for right at $10K, and got $32K for trade. With the tax credit, I ended up with a little over $44,000 for it. No way I would have come close to that trading it in or selling it outright.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Mike: quantify your own personal aversion to time/risk/aggravation selling at a higher price privately to the convenience and loss of income selling to the dealer.

Go with your gut here.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
How much is your tax benefit if you trade? If it’s close to the ~$2k more you’d get selling private party, then I’d just trade and save myself the trouble. I always use the trade in value as a base line for selling private party. I know the least I can get and anything over that is gravy. However, Arkansas allows us to apply the price of a private sale as a tax credit on a new purchase, so we get the tax benefit either way.
I suck at math so take it easy on me if what I type below is absolutely stupid!

Tax in MA is 6.25%

Price for new Jeep is 40,500.00

Tax on this price would be $2531.25

Tax on difference with trade would be $968.75

So difference is $1562.50

Did I figure that out correctly? Also my thought is that I could private party sell my Jeep for $27,000.00. For all I know this may not be the case or maybe I could sell it for more. You know the old saying "it is worth what somebody will actually pay for it"!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Tax in MA is 6.25%

Did I figure that out correctly? Also my thought is that I could private party sell my Jeep for $27,000.00. For all I know this may not be the case or maybe I could sell it for more. You know the old saying "it is worth what somebody will actually pay for it"!
Strong State specific point SS!

Redwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JKU

Tax in MA is 6.25%

40,500 plus 6,25 tax = 43,031.25 Minus PPS of 27,000 = 16,031.25

40,500 - 25,000 trade = 15,500 difference plus 6.25 tax = 16,468.75

If I figured this correctly, I would do the trade. If going through the personal sale process fits your situation, then the $437.50 savings may be worth it.

6dors

First Name
Lauri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Pros:

Cons:

Mileage 28,000
Running boards

That seem like a good price for a trade in. My Unlimited (mango tango) was a 2011 with 140,000 miles. Someone from Mass came up and bought it. I had the most activity on Facebook market place. The mileage scared a lot of potential buyers off.

6dors

First Name
Lauri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mike: quantify your own personal aversion to time/risk/aggravation selling at a higher price privately to the convenience and loss of income selling to the dealer.

Go with your gut here.
I agree! The inconvenience of the private sell timing can be a big issue.
Sponsored