Sponsored

Trade in Tacoma for a JLR?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Under warranty diagnosing the issue has always been free. If after diagnostic they show it’s not under warranty the choice then becomes the owners to fix or not. It cost nothing for a tech to plug in a computer.
That's literally not how it works at some dealerships, sadly. They make you pay the diagnostic fee, and they will refund it if you don't owe it. Stupid -- certainly a way to lose a customer that doesn't understand the logic (or care) behind that policy.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jlwantneednow

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD OR, 2022 4xe Rubicon
It depends if you need the truck. If you find you will miss the utility of the truck (you won't fit nearly as much shit in the 4xE -- did you get the sky one touch or hard top or soft top?), I'd just keep the Tacoma, or possibly buy a six speed Gladiator Willy's Sport.
Congrats on the 392 that is going to be fuckin blast. The only part of the truck I need is cargo space when I camp but I just throw all my shit in the bed and its always massively overboard. Still will probably have to purge which I need to consider. We got the hard top as she hated the sky one touch dont ask me why.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on the 392 that is going to be fuckin blast. The only part of the truck I need is cargo space when I camp but I just throw all my shit in the bed and its always massively overboard. Still will probably have to purge which I need to consider. We got the hard top as she hated the sky one touch dont ask me why.
The hard top gives you the benefit where you could run a rhino rack backbone for extra gear -- that's why I asked. Your options are far more limited with a soft top or a sky one touch.

And thanks, can't wait! 1-2 weeks before it hits the lot. Then I gotta ship it.

kakwvu

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Having driven a 4.0L TJ and 3.6L JLU Sport, and owned a 2016 Tacoma 3.5L 6MT, I can’t understate how underwhelming the Tacoma is. It looked great, but it was slower than molasses, had miserable economy, and mechanical issues (rack and pinion was going out, LCAs going bad) all under 30k.

Do it. I will be soon. Tacoma is long gone, but I miss a lifted vehicle.

OP
OP

jlwantneednow

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe your question qualifies me for a response. Before my '19 JLR I drove a '05 Tundra limited 4x4 bought used with 57K on it and put 100K + on it. Piror Toyotas where a new 01 PreRunner driven 150K and two Highlanders, a FJ55and a Fj40. Toyota's are a great product but boring compared to a JLR which is my current toy. My bucket list included exploring the harder back county trails that were not really accessible to almost any other D.D.'r. I've flat towed my JLR 30K* and driven it 18K+ on many of the notable western state trails. The JLR is very capable stock but with a lift and 37's it is amazing were you can comfortably roll. My JLR has mods. but has been factory trouble free. Typical wear items have been excel-orated because of hard use but all in all my '19 JLR has been a joy...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/biscuit.1163/
This is perfect insight man I am pretty sure my mind is made up at this point. There are about 10 back country multiday trips with a 12 hour drive that are absolutely a dream to do with my wife.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I do like the Gladiator but sadly does not capture my heart like the 2dr. If I was a sensible person I would probably go that route for best of both worlds but uhh I'm not sensible. Thanks for the suggestion though! Appreciate the comment of the drivetrain.
A 2 door Jeep isn't necessarily a sensible purchase. I got tired of cars that just "checked the boxes" so to speak. The 2 door may be difficult with a dog, but if you just use the 4xE for that, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Odds are that if you don't know right now that you need the bed space in the Taco, you probably don't. Also consider towing capabilities, if that matters, since the 2 door is less capable for that also.

OP
OP

jlwantneednow

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having driven a 4.0L TJ and 3.6L JLU Sport, and owned a 2016 Tacoma 3.5L 6MT, I can’t understate how underwhelming the Tacoma is. It looked great, but it was slower than molasses, had miserable economy, and mechanical issues (rack and pinion was going out, LCAs going bad) all under 30k.

Do it. I will be soon. Tacoma is long gone, but I miss a lifted vehicle.
So many issues with Tacomas in this thread its kind of blowing my mind. Maybe I just got lucky.

Trk3263

First Name
T2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
2 months ago I traded my 18’ Tacoma off road for a JLUR. I loved my Taco and planned to keep it forever. I went from a truck to a jeep in the past and missed the truck bed but about 6 months prior I put a cap on my truck so I could take the dogs camping with the rest of the family and gear. Although I still had a truck bed the cap limited what I could haul and started my transition.
One day the wife and I decided to stop by the car lot and I glanced at a Rubicon. That was all she wrote. It was bitter sweet leaving my Taco but I love my new Jeep. I went with the premium soft top which isn’t as loud as my past soft tops. I am impressed with the small details that Jeep has thought of with this thing and I can’t wait to run with the top down and do some four wheeling.
All that to say I don’t regret switching one bit.
Maybe wait and drive your wife’s pink Jeep for a little before you decide That may be the smart thing to do but not the fun thing. Good luck deciding.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I went from a 2007 Taco to a 2-door manual 2012 JK, and now I have a 2-door manual 2021 JLR.

I really loved my Taco and, if I'd had the ability at the time, I would have kept it and gotten the Jeep. The Taco was super reliable and just having an actual truck was wonderful for utility purposes. That's what I miss the most, honestly. A 2-door Jeep has very little cargo space, unless you take the rear seats out. And even then, you can't pick up a couch or a load of hay with it like you can a truck.

With the rear seat in and just me and my dog, it was pretty challenging to fit all my camping gear. With the rear seat out? I can do a lot more, but it's still a bit of a tetris job.

As far as reliability.... With my JK, I made it about 100k miles before the major problems started setting in. Jeeps, unfortunately, are not as reliable as the Tacoma. Especially in the long term. By contrast, my Taco had well over 100k and only had a single minor problem in all that time.

My Taco was one of the old single cabs. With a 4-cyl engine and a manual transmission, I got pretty impressive mpg. It's hard as hell to find one like that now, so I really do wish I could have kept it.

That said, as much as I miss my Taco, I never regretted trading in for the Jeep. Jeeps are just way more fun. And even after all the issues I had with the JK as it got older, I did not even consider replacing it with something other than another Jeep.

And the JLR? It drives way better than both the Taco and the JK. This is honestly the nicest vehicle I've ever had. Even totally stock, it's ridiculously capable offroad. And the ride is really nice for a Jeep. It's a joy to drive!

If you love the Jeep and can live with the reduced cargo space and potentially more mechanical issues, get the Jeep.

But if you can afford to get the Jeep and keep the Taco? Keep them both. That's what I would do.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Speaking of the warranty, any 3 year 36k warranty or more if you pay for one is a bumper to bumper warranty less tires, or if they can prove you broke something, or did something to cause something else to break.

I have taken a vehicle in for a light bulb replacement under warranty, and they had to replace it, and did. Diagnostics is absolutely free under warranty.

Crap ass dealership that tries to charge you for it. Just my experience.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as reliability
Speaking of the warranty, any 3 year 36k warranty or more if you pay for one is a bumper to bumper warranty less tires, or if they can prove you broke something, or did something to cause something else to break.

I have taken a vehicle in for a light bulb replacement under warranty, and they had to replace it, and did. Diagnostics is absolutely free under warranty.

Crap ass dealership that tries to charge you for it. Just my experience.
Yep that's right. There's too many crap dealerships out there, though I've found the ones that charge you just to diagnose it are certainly easier to avoid. But certainly if you walk in with a pretty modified vehicle they may pull that card anyway if they think it could be related -- and rightfully so in that case since you can turn down the work they recommend after without paying a dime.

OP
OP

jlwantneednow

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The hard top gives you the benefit where you could run a rhino rack backbone for extra gear -- that's why I asked. Your options are far more limited with a soft top or a sky one touch.

And thanks, can't wait! 1-2 weeks before it hits the lot. Then I gotta ship it.
Great point about the racks I honestly didnt even consider that because I figured we would have the space with the truck. Now I'm really happy we didnt get the one touch.

Were is it shipping from?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great point about the racks I honestly didnt even consider that because I figured we would have the space with the truck. Now I'm really happy we didnt get the one touch.

Were is it shipping from?
Yep, that rack is supppper nice and the backbone system will support even a heavy RTT. Just ensure it's installed somewhere reputable.

It's shipping from PA (Philly) to AZ. Quite far. Going with enclosed trailer for $2200 (I paid ~$10,500 under MSRP). Thought about driving it back but I went with dual door group so there's just no way, and this simplifies having to find a local shop in PA to PPF it before driving.

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
Anyone have any experience going from a Taco to JLR? I have a 2018 DCSB TRD O/R lifted, locked blah blah blah. Definitely LESS capable than a rubicon.

Just ordered my wife a friggin PINK 2022 Rubicon 4xe.

While at the dealership the manager asked me if I was interested in trading in my 2018 Tacoma. I declined as I love my truck. He told me to just take a 6 speed JLR they just got in for a spin while him and my wife completed the order. It was an absolute blast, really really enjoyed driving it. Told him thanks but no thanks when I got back and meant it. Riiiiiiiiight.

A week or so has gone by and all I think about is driving that glorious slice of heaven. Smart salesman. I really want to order one but not sure how realistic it is. No kids (none EVER) just my wife me and dog. We tend to go on 3-6 hour road trips (usually camping and wheeling) A few times a month but seems like kinda silly to get another Rubicon when I can drive my wife's whenever.

We have only had the one truck for 4 years or so as she works remote and we have the same interests. 6 hour road trips with two cars for two people seems a little odd cause no way I'm not taking mine if I get a new one even though ill end up driving both over the trickier stuff lol. Don't really care about the economics of it we always just enjoy each others company in the car on long road trips.

Also a bit worried losing the utility of a truck, don't tow anything just load up an irresponsible amount of camping gear. I'll strip my back seats out immediately and with them down in her 4xe maybe with a platform or something I wont notice the difference? Any thoughts about going from taco to wrangler(s) space wise?

Seems the JL is reliable enough but I guess I should not be expecting 60k miles with nothing but tires and oil changes like my Tacoma? Do these tend to be in out of the shop for issues?

I probably won't actually trade it in but just sell it myself while waiting for the order to be delivered.

Somebody please help I cant get my work down and am going to lose my hair at only 27 if I don't make a decision soon.
I dumped my 2018 Tacoma TRD Off road first chance I got. I went from a JKR to the Tacoma and regretted it. Toyota didn’t help as my Tacoma was junk. I ordered a 21 JLR and absolutely love it. a quality lift, re gear and 35’s and you will have an absolute beast. The JL 3.6 isn’t a dog like the sorry assed Tacoma power plant. Drive them and decide…for me it was the best move for me to get back to a Jeep.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I went from a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road to a JL Unlimited Sahara. Below is my experience.

Tacoma pros:
  1. Well screwed together. The truck felt like a vault; nothing rattled, buzzed or squeaked. It was super quiet
  2. Predictable on-road handling —thanks to IFS
  3. Pretty capable off-road
  4. Excellent value for money. Toyota makes a lot of features standard, and does a lot better job bundling options together; Jeep makes you add every option separately, driving up the price fast. My fully equipped Tacoma TRD O-R Premium cost $10,000-$15,000 less than a similarly equipped Wrangler
  5. Amazing resale value
  6. Handsome looks
Tacoma cons:
  1. Gawd I hated that automatic transmission! It refused to downshift, no matter how much I tried. It made the V6 feel anemic and sapped all the fun out of driving the truck
  2. Uncomfortable seats. I was never able to find a comfortable position. I swear those seats were designed for chimpanzees!
  3. It beeped all the time, sometimes for no apparent reason. One time I turned off the truck and it kept on beeping. I couldn’t figure out why. Totally frustrated I got out, locked the truck and walked away. It shut up eventually
  4. No full-time 4WD
My Tacoma before I sold it
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade in Tacoma for a JLR? 1638496708862

Jeep Wrangler JL Trade in Tacoma for a JLR? 1638496665126

Wrangler pros:
  1. The 8-speed automatic is one of the best in the business. It is always on the right gear, downshifts promptly and smoothly, and it’s proven to be durable and reliable.
  2. Either the 3.6 V6 or the 2.0T outperform Tacoma's 3.5 V6 in terms of power delivery and refinement
  3. Incredible off-road capability right out of the box, even in Sport, Willys or Sahara form.
  4. The combination of rear LSD + BLD makes Wrangler incredibly capable even in 2WD
  5. You can mount 33-inch tires on a non-Rubicon relatively easily; largest I could fit on my Tacoma without modifying it was 31s
  6. Comfortable interior. Unlike the guys at TFL, I find Wrangler’s upright seating position super comfortable and provides excellent visibility to all four corners
  7. Excellent maneuverability around town and on the trail
  8. Great assembly quality and attention to detail. My Jeep's interior is a lot more interesting to look at than my Tacoma's, and JL's assembly quality is night and day better than that on my prior Jeeps. The Jeep still has zero squeaks or rattles
  9. Easily customizable. With a factory rear LSD, dealer-installed Mopar lift and 35s, my Sahara is a beast on the trails
  10. Excellent resale
  11. Iconic looks
Wrangler cons:
  1. Vague steering. JL’s steering is bad even by past Wrangler standards. I was able to fix much of it by having the dealer replace the steering box and replace the stock damper with a Fox 2.0. It is fine now
  2. Fiat electronics can be temperamental. Personally, I haven’t had any issues but these pages are filled with stories, most of them electrical-related
  3. Jeep dealers range from bad to atrocious
My Sahara in its current form
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade in Tacoma for a JLR? 1638496856004

Jeep Wrangler JL Trade in Tacoma for a JLR? 1638497149015

Jeep Wrangler JL Trade in Tacoma for a JLR? 1638497859724
Sponsored