Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Had my 2021 Tacoma TRD Pro about 6 months now and came from a 2010 JKU. I find the Tacoma to perform considerably better day to day than the 3.8L and 42RLE auto in the early JK’s, but I still miss Jeep.

Was waiting on a Bronco because I wanted to try something new, but needed a vehicle that could do it all and the Taco, surprisingly, was a smoking deal. 99% ready to call it quits on the Bronco, sell/trade the Taco, and order a JLR. I have no need for the bed, and I finally test drove and sat in a few JL’s. I was immediately blown away with the improvement from the JK’s. I am also considering the turbo over the 3.6L because I could benefit from the improved mileage and wouldn’t go with a stick for the amount of traffic I battle daily anyways.

And don’t worry everyone, the Taco has ~7,300 miles on it and the dealer already offered me more than I paid for it to trade in (told you I got a smoking deal).

I say go for it! I likely will not be far behind you.
Sponsored

kakwvu

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
So many issues with Tacomas in this thread its kind of blowing my mind. Maybe I just got lucky.
They’re not bulletproof. Have you seen the service bulletins for the frames? They’re active through current production because of how piss poor the steel they use is. The notion that Toyota puts out a superior product is sorta goofy to me considering all of their truck frames are salvage title magnets.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Man I haven't had an auto payment in 5 years as my company covers the cost so I can get behind this mindset for sure.
Then your destiny is predetermined...I guess that's why it's destiny. Spend!

CaliJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Rubicon Past: 2016 C300, 2018 JLU Sport S
I went from a 2018 Sport S Unlimited to 2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 to a 4xe Rubicon.

The Sport S was nice but too loose on the steering. I loved the Taco, it was a tank and pretty capable with the rear locker, but the 4xe powertrain won me over immediately, that 375 hp and torque, along with the new steering box makes the drive smooth as butter. And you get better mpg. I was averaging 16-17 in the Taco.

If you’re getting the 2 door you can’t get the hybrid powertrain… personally I’d keep the Taco over the JLR, but would dump the Taco for the 4xe.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade in Tacoma for a JLR? 92EC962E-8F3A-4B69-A2A4-8EB08CDD0449
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade in Tacoma for a JLR? 80480566-0CFD-41D3-A2CD-2922AD6784AA

Anyone have any experience going from a Taco to JLR? I have a 2018 DCSB TRD O/R lifted, locked blah blah blah. Definitely LESS capable than a rubicon.

Just ordered my wife a friggin PINK 2022 Rubicon 4xe.

While at the dealership the manager asked me if I was interested in trading in my 2018 Tacoma. I declined as I love my truck. He told me to just take a 6 speed JLR they just got in for a spin while him and my wife completed the order. It was an absolute blast, really really enjoyed driving it. Told him thanks but no thanks when I got back and meant it. Riiiiiiiiight.

A week or so has gone by and all I think about is driving that glorious slice of heaven. Smart salesman. I really want to order one but not sure how realistic it is. No kids (none EVER) just my wife me and dog. We tend to go on 3-6 hour road trips (usually camping and wheeling) A few times a month but seems like kinda silly to get another Rubicon when I can drive my wife's whenever.

We have only had the one truck for 4 years or so as she works remote and we have the same interests. 6 hour road trips with two cars for two people seems a little odd cause no way I'm not taking mine if I get a new one even though ill end up driving both over the trickier stuff lol. Don't really care about the economics of it we always just enjoy each others company in the car on long road trips.

Also a bit worried losing the utility of a truck, don't tow anything just load up an irresponsible amount of camping gear. I'll strip my back seats out immediately and with them down in her 4xe maybe with a platform or something I wont notice the difference? Any thoughts about going from taco to wrangler(s) space wise?

Seems the JL is reliable enough but I guess I should not be expecting 60k miles with nothing but tires and oil changes like my Tacoma? Do these tend to be in out of the shop for issues?

I probably won't actually trade it in but just sell it myself while waiting for the order to be delivered.

Somebody please help I cant get my work down and am going to lose my hair at only 27 if I don't make a decision soon.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Anyone have any experience going from a Taco to JLR? I have a 2018 DCSB TRD O/R lifted, locked blah blah blah. Definitely LESS capable than a rubicon.

While at the dealership the manager asked me if I was interested in trading in my 2018 Tacoma. I declined as I love my truck. He told me to just take a 6 speed JLR they just got in for a spin while him and my wife completed the order. It was an absolute blast, really really enjoyed driving it. Told him thanks but no thanks when I got back and meant it. Riiiiiiiiight.

A week or so has gone by and all I think about is driving that glorious slice of heaven. Smart salesman. I really want to order one but not sure how realistic it is. No kids (none EVER) just my wife me and dog. We tend to go on 3-6 hour road trips (usually camping and wheeling) A few times a month but seems like kinda silly to get another Rubicon when I can drive my wife's whenever.

We have only had the one truck for 4 years or so as she works remote and we have the same interests. 6 hour road trips with two cars for two people seems a little odd cause no way I'm not taking mine if I get a new one even though ill end up driving both over the trickier stuff lol. Don't really care about the economics of it we always just enjoy each others company in the car on long road trips.

Also a bit worried losing the utility of a truck, don't tow anything just load up an irresponsible amount of camping gear. I'll strip my back seats out immediately and with them down in her 4xe maybe with a platform or something I wont notice the difference? Any thoughts about going from taco to wrangler(s) space wise?

Seems the JL is reliable enough but I guess I should not be expecting 60k miles with nothing but tires and oil changes like my Tacoma? Do these tend to be in out of the shop for issues?

I probably won't actually trade it in but just sell it myself while waiting for the order to be delivered.

Somebody please help I cant get my work down and am going to lose my hair at only 27 if I don't make a decision soon.
Poor, poor man. We could say anything in this world to convince you not to do so, but you've done the worst thing you can do in this situation: test drive it. Now, you know. Now, you get it. And now, you want it. You're cursed, welcome to our world. And no, you'll never, ever, ever get away from it.

Now, on your serious question.

I don't think you've mentionned if your Taco is a 6MT or an automatic (I didn't read all the replies). But if your truck is a 6MT, note that the used car market is totally bunkers at the moment and you have a rare gem in your hand, especially if you got something like a TRD Off-Road.

So don't fool yourself: even if that dealer is very smart by putting you behind the wheel of that JLR, you have the leverage. You have the car he wants because he'll sell it back for a crazy amout of money.

My advice: sit for a couple of hours with your calculator. Crunch the numbers, take everything into account and make up your mind.

Also, and I really think you should think about it: you mentionned you don't want to lose the truck's praticallity. Why don't you have a look at a base 6MT Glady? If you liked the JLR, you'll like the Glady too, don't even worry about it. Same engine, same feel, better handling because of the longer wheel base, very capable off-road. Strap on some good A/T tires on this thing and you'll be on the moon.

But remember: if you have a 6MT Taco right now, play the mind game with the dealer. Remember: he wants your truck and he could make a ton of money out of it. So don't let it go in a heartbeat just because you've seen a younger and sexier one...

As for the 4XE, now...my advice: be patient and wait. Stellantis already sent cues and hints about a rapid charger that might be coming soon. Do not overspend for hybrids or electrics: they're getting better day by day and just like your iPhone 8, if you spend too much cash on it now, you might regret it in 6 months.

Sponsored

hockeynut258

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Went from a 2019 Tacoma TRD off road 6-speed to a 2021 JLUR 6-speed. No regrets and have so much more fun in the jeep. We off road quite a bit as a family activity and the Jeep is hands down more capable which makes it more enjoyable. We love taking the freedom panels off especially in the mountains.

Only thing I really miss is the Tacoma’s front suspension with Bilstein 6112 at higher speeds off road. But I’d take the solid front axle and sway bar disconnect over it.

we don’t overland with the Jeep. Lots of full trail days. Didn’t really need The Tacoma’s bed for how we wheel. Plus i have a 5x8’ utility trailer I use when I need a truck bed,

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
My question is what are you going to use for a truck if you get a Wrangler? I cannot imagine not having a truck!! There have been very few times in my life that a truck has not been in my driveway.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
My question is what are you going to use for a truck if you get a Wrangler? I cannot imagine not having a truck!! There have been very few times in my life that a truck has not been in my driveway.
It is super nice to have a truck when you need to haul stuff, but unless it's a daily job the only time I really used my truck beds was for moving. In and around town moves can be done with a Uhaul rental or delivery fees now lol.

OP I had 2 tacomas, both TRD sports. They just lacked power to me, but I enjoyed my short bed versus the long. Once you roll around with the top and doors off I think you'll forget the taco. The 2.0 turbo definitely feels peppier than the taco.

JL GOAT

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR

In 2/2020 I purchased a new Toyota Tacoma Off Road. I put $7k into it to make it more trail worthy( armor, sliders, wheels/tires…).That truck scraped it’s belly and rear end all over the Sonoran Desert. I did not want to do cab mount chop or mount relocate on new vehicle for 33’s. Sold, sold, sold.

Bought 2020 JRU. Fricking incredible. The JLR is like a goat(JL Goat) it goes everywhere. JLR is 48” shorter, bumper to bumper, than taco. Taco like a Mack Truck going through dessert mountains and washes. So, off road, Jeep is it. “No RAGRETS.”

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
It is super nice to have a truck when you need to haul stuff, but unless it's a daily job the only time I really used my truck beds was for moving. In and around town moves can be done with a Uhaul rental or delivery fees now lol.
I'm biased because I have owned dirt bikes most of my adult life and a truck is a necessity. Also I would go broke renting U hauls and such with all the times I use a truck for what its intended.

Sponsored

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Trailer form harbor freight, few modifications and no need for a truck for your dirt bike.

Never owned a qyloda never will.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have a crew cab truck, so I bought a 2 door Willys. The 2 door is great fo running around, on trails, back roads or in town. Super easy to park, make U turns or avoid obstacles with. With the back seat out there is a surprising amount of room in the rear.

That having been said, if I didn’t already have a truck a Gladiator would be very tempting. It has more interior space than a Tacoma. A bigger plus over the Tacoma is that you don’t sit with your legs out in front of you like you are in a small car.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm biased because I have owned dirt bikes most of my adult life and a truck is a necessity. Also I would go broke renting U hauls and such with all the times I use a truck for what its intended.
I've owned trucks of one kind or another for 40 years. I just don't see not owning one. The "original sport utility vehicle".

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have a crew cab truck, so I bought a 2 door Willys. The 2 door is great fo running around, on trails, back roads or in town. Super easy to park, make U turns or avoid obstacles with. With the back seat out there is a surprising amount of room in the rear.

That having been said, if I didn’t already have a truck a Gladiator would be very tempting. It has more interior space than a Tacoma. A bigger plus over the Tacoma is that you don’t sit with your legs out in front of you like you are in a small car.
Another big plus of JL/JT over Tacoma is Jeep’s upright position provides better visibility to all four corners of the vehicle.

I blacked out the hood on my Tacoma because, from the driver seat I felt like I was peering over the wide, flat top of a white freezer... 😫
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade in Tacoma for a JLR? 1638548503483

Last edited:

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Why not get the Gladiator Mojave? Then you will have the best of both worlds.
Sponsored