Trade in Tacoma for a JLR?

jlwantneednow

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD OR, 2022 4xe Rubicon
Anyone have any experience going from a Taco to JLR? I have a 2018 DCSB TRD O/R lifted, locked blah blah blah. Definitely LESS capable than a rubicon.

Just ordered my wife a friggin PINK 2022 Rubicon 4xe.

While at the dealership the manager asked me if I was interested in trading in my 2018 Tacoma. I declined as I love my truck. He told me to just take a 6 speed JLR they just got in for a spin while him and my wife completed the order. It was an absolute blast, really really enjoyed driving it. Told him thanks but no thanks when I got back and meant it. Riiiiiiiiight.

A week or so has gone by and all I think about is driving that glorious slice of heaven. Smart salesman. I really want to order one but not sure how realistic it is. No kids (none EVER) just my wife me and dog. We tend to go on 3-6 hour road trips (usually camping and wheeling) A few times a month but seems like kinda silly to get another Rubicon when I can drive my wife's whenever.

We have only had the one truck for 4 years or so as she works remote and we have the same interests. 6 hour road trips with two cars for two people seems a little odd cause no way I'm not taking mine if I get a new one even though ill end up driving both over the trickier stuff lol. Don't really care about the economics of it we always just enjoy each others company in the car on long road trips.

Also a bit worried losing the utility of a truck, don't tow anything just load up an irresponsible amount of camping gear. I'll strip my back seats out immediately and with them down in her 4xe maybe with a platform or something I wont notice the difference? Any thoughts about going from taco to wrangler(s) space wise?

Seems the JL is reliable enough but I guess I should not be expecting 60k miles with nothing but tires and oil changes like my Tacoma? Do these tend to be in out of the shop for issues?

I probably won't actually trade it in but just sell it myself while waiting for the order to be delivered.

Somebody please help I cant get my work down and am going to lose my hair at only 27 if I don't make a decision soon.
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I don't think anything can compare to how fun the Jeep is to drive both on and off road. Especially the 2 door, it's a unique machine built for fun first and foremost. I don't get the same feeling driving a Taco or a 4runner, as well built as they are. The 3.6 with either the auto or manual is simple enough that I don't worry about reliability too much, but it's certainly not a Toyota in that regard. That said, plenty of JLs out there with 60k+ and no issues but there are some occasional headaches for sure.

For example, I may have not had the best luck but my 2019 2 door 3.6/8speed auto JLR ended up having a faulty heater core that catastrophically dumped all of the coolant at under 1500 miles. It was a pain, but after it was replaced, I've had no more problems in ~35,000 miles. They cited a bad rack of heater cores from the supplier at the factory.

The only other annoying thing I've experienced is with the front seat fold forward mechanism in the 2 door. My passenger seat got stuck in the full folded forward position after using the lever access something in the back. It was un-sittable and at the shop for over 2 weeks while they replaced a bunch of seat parts, only for it to happen again a few months later in the middle of a wheeling/camping trip, making it really inconvenient to use the Jeep with a passenger. It was fixed again under warranty and nowadays I just don't use the fold forward feature for fear it could happen to the driver's side.

I know many with no issues, too, and I view my experience as wholeheartedly positive and too much fun regardless of the above issues. It's an unbelievable rig and having two Jeeps in the family is the holy grail. Get your wife's jeep on comms via CB/HAM/GMRS and go wheeling together!

Jeep Wrangler JL Trade in Tacoma for a JLR? 719AFDC2-8D2D-4B39-9E22-BBDAE09E62D8_1_201_a
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade in Tacoma for a JLR? 31D7B8B9-EBD8-47F9-9BB6-ACDEE7B3EF96_1_105_c

oh, I did want to comment on the cargo capacity. Without the backseat in it's got plenty of space to jam pack with camping gear. I carry a 50qt Massimo 12v fridge, big Eureka tent, lots of blankets, a table, Coleman dual burner stove, 5 gallons of water, Jackery Explorer 500 and solar panel, a crate of food, suitcase, Jeep wrenching tools, and a bunch of FPV drone equipment with lots of vertical room to spare. Might be a little tough for 2 people, a dog, and all your camping gear if your dog isn't a lap dog but if you take two jeeps it's perfect, haha. Roof rack would definitely help in that case too.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Why not a Gladiator. A Rubicon with Tacoma truck bed.

Oh, the 3.6L V6 is an extremely reliable engine, as is most of the drivetrain.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I always advise people, that come to strangers on the internet to get advice on the second largest purchase in their lives, to spend, Spend, SPEND! It helps the economy.

OP
OP

jlwantneednow

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think anything can compare to how fun the Jeep is to drive both on and off road. Especially the 2 door, it's a unique machine built for fun first and foremost. I don't get the same feeling driving a Taco or a 4runner, as well built as they are. The 3.6 with either the auto or manual is simple enough that I don't worry about reliability too much, but it's certainly not a Toyota in that regard. That said, plenty of JLs out there with 60k+ and no issues but there are some occasional headaches for sure.

For example, I may have not had the best luck but my 2019 2 door 3.6/8speed auto JLR ended up having a faulty heater core that catastrophically dumped all of the coolant at under 1500 miles. It was a pain, but after it was replaced, I've had no more problems in ~35,000 miles. They cited a bad rack of heater cores from the supplier at the factory.

The only other annoying thing I've experienced is with the front seat fold forward mechanism in the 2 door. My passenger seat got stuck in the full folded forward position after using the lever access something in the back. It was un-sittable and at the shop for over 2 weeks while they replaced a bunch of seat parts, only for it to happen again a few months later in the middle of a wheeling/camping trip, making it really inconvenient to use the Jeep with a passenger. It was fixed again under warranty and nowadays I just don't use the fold forward feature for fear it could happen to the driver's side.

I know many with no issues, too, and I view my experience as wholeheartedly positive and too much fun regardless of the above issues. It's an unbelievable rig and having two Jeeps in the family is the holy grail. Get your wife's jeep on comms via CB/HAM/GMRS and go wheeling together!

Jeep Wrangler JL Trade in Tacoma for a JLR? 31D7B8B9-EBD8-47F9-9BB6-ACDEE7B3EF96_1_105_c

oh, I did want to comment on the cargo capacity. Without the backseat in it's got plenty of space to jam pack with camping gear. I carry a 50qt Massimo 12v fridge, big Eureka tent, lots of blankets, a table, Coleman dual burner stove, 5 gallons of water, Jackery Explorer 500 and solar panel, a crate of food, suitcase, Jeep wrenching tools, and a bunch of FPV drone equipment with lots of vertical room to spare. Might be a little tough for 2 people, a dog, and all your camping gear if your dog isn't a lap dog but if you take two jeeps it's perfect, haha. Roof rack would definitely help in that case too.
Great insight man thank you! Yea I don't really mind the odd thing going out as long as its the not a serious drivetrain issues. Definitely appreciate the time you put into the reply. You hit the nail on the driving experience I have not had that much driving a car since probably forever. Taco is great but just a reliable truck that has some capability not much more than that. Your gear haul sounds pretty similar to mine as well.

Those pictures are awesome where are you at in those?

A+ for the comms idea that is brilliant.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jlwantneednow

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why not a Gladiator. A Rubicon with Tacoma truck bed.

Oh, the 3.6L V6 is an extremely reliable engine, as is most of the drivetrain.
I do like the Gladiator but sadly does not capture my heart like the 2dr. If I was a sensible person I would probably go that route for best of both worlds but uhh I'm not sensible. Thanks for the suggestion though! Appreciate the comment of the drivetrain.

OP
OP

jlwantneednow

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always advise people, that come to strangers on the internet to get advice on the second largest purchase in their lives, to spend, Spend, SPEND! It helps the economy.
Man I haven't had an auto payment in 5 years as my company covers the cost so I can get behind this mindset for sure.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Yes! My 19 Tacoma TRD was crap!

OP
OP

jlwantneednow

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes! My 19 Tacoma TRD was crap!
Woah? Really? Did you have problems with it or just couldn't fit your needs? I have really liked mine and thought I'd keep it until it feel apart but man I am really close to making a change.

Sholmberg0311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Occupation
Adult baby sitter
My 18 has 63k (s)miles and besides oil changes and tires ... Ive only replaced the batteries. As with any vehicle, some have problems and some do not. Good luck in whatever route you take.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
It depends if you need the truck. If you find you will miss the utility of the truck (you won't fit nearly as much shit in the 4xE -- did you get the sky one touch or hard top or soft top?), I'd just keep the Tacoma, or possibly buy a six speed Gladiator Willy's Sport.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Woah? Really? Did you have problems with it or just couldn't fit your needs? I have really liked mine and thought I'd keep it until it feel apart but man I am really close to making a change.
My stereo was bad. Worst xm reception I ever had, stereo would not stay on until I opened the door(don’t realize how nice this is until it’s gone), no way highlight songs and switch to that channel when it came on, trans was awful always shifted down with throttle(sometimes you want more power without going to the lower gear, could not even control it with the manual switches on the auto, weather stripping on the roof would come out and pound the roof over and over. I asked this to be fixed, Toyota put it back to have it come out again as I drove home. I asked them to check a check engine light. They said $195. I said it’s less than a year old and less than 10k miles it’s under warranty. They said doesn’t matter if I caused it. I said no, you run diagnostic for free(it takes 2 min), then you give me the choice to pay to fix it if was caused by me.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
My stereo was bad. Worst xm reception I ever had, stereo would not stay on until I opened the door(don’t realize how nice this is until it’s gone), no way highlight songs and switch to that channel when it came on, trans was awful always shifted down with throttle(sometimes you want more power without going to the lower gear, could not even control it with the manual switches on the auto, weather stripping on the roof would come out and pound the roof over and over. I asked this to be fixed, Toyota put it back to have it come out again as I drove home. I asked them to check a check engine light. They said $195. I said it’s less than a year old and less than 10k miles it’s under warranty. They said doesn’t matter if I caused it. I said no, you run diagnostic for free(it takes 2 min), then you give me the choice to pay to fix it if was caused by me.
Jeep dealer will tell you the same thing on the diagnostic fee, as will BMW, Porsche, etc. It just varies from dealer to dealer -- some dealers will take the risk. Others wont as they pay the tech and then don't get paid themselves. I go out of my way to work with dealers that WON'T require that, though. Just pointing out that it isn't a brand issue is all.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Jeep dealer will tell you the same thing on the diagnostic fee, as will BMW, Porsche, etc. It just varies from dealer to dealer -- some dealers will take the risk. Others wont as they pay the tech and then don't get paid themselves.
Under warranty diagnosing the issue has always been free. If after diagnostic they show it’s not under warranty the choice then becomes the owners to fix or not. It cost nothing for a tech to plug in a computer.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Our Jeep is my wife’s daily. I have a newer loaded Ram 1500 on 35s. Wife let me modify hers. We take the Jeep on adventures and I drive it every chance can get.

There are two keeping me from jumping to a JLURe or JTRD, I’m a big dude, and my truck is more comfortable (a non issue if your moving from a taco) and the fact that we’d only take one or the other on trips, and I’d probably drop another 5-10k on modifying whatever I get.
Sponsored