Sponsored

Trade in 3.6L V6 Pentastar for 3.0L 6-Cyl Turbo EcoDiesel ???

Encino Stan

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Java Developer
I am seriously considering trading in my 2020 Rubicon JLU with 3.6L V6 for a 2023 Rubicon JLU with a diesel engine. Thinking about the FarOut Edition since it has options that I have now (Heated seats, tow package, LED lighting, etc.) The diesel wasn't available when I bought my Jeep in 2019.

Opinions? Comments? Concerns?
Sponsored

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
I am seriously considering trading in my 2020 Rubicon JLU with 3.6L V6 for a 2023 Rubicon JLU with a diesel engine. Thinking about the FarOut Edition since it has options that I have now (Heated seats, tow package, LED lighting, etc.) The diesel wasn't available when I bought my Jeep in 2019.

Opinions? Comments? Concerns?
Obviously I'm biased, and think it is truly the best engine / transmission combo placed in a Wrangler thus far.
3.6L and the Diesel are very different engines and of course the diesel will require a little more oversight (e.g. DEF, Fuel Filter, Expensive oil changes). In my opinion it is all worth it because I have been begging for a diesel for a long time, and can't get enough of the torque. I personally had a Rubicon with a 3.6L and it just doesn't hold a candle to the diesel, but that is just my opinion. Wranglers are a niche vehicle to begin with given their purpose in life and I can't imagine why they waited so long to place a diesel in one.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
If trade in values are favorable heck yeah. The diesel is awesome

Deleted member 59498

Traded my 20 for 22 diesel. Very happy with it. Got a great trade in back then though.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
For years I wanted a two-door JLR with a diesel. That was years ago though that I pined for one. Today, given the choice between a 3.6L and a 3.0L diesel, I'd choose the 3.6L for the simplicity and reliability (it's an easier decision since you can't get a JLR with a diesel). Diesel has come a long way, including with a lot of complexity, and the 3.6L is just simple. I intend to keep the JLR for 15 years.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™d love to have a 2 door diesel rubicon with a *stout* manual transmission, but since thatā€™s not even close to an option I am happy with my 3.6L JLR. If you want a four door jeep and donā€™t care if itā€™s automatic then Iā€™d say go for it.

Only exception might be if your commute to work is like 4 miles and you wonā€™t be able to let it stretch its legs often.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Traded in my 18 JLUR for a 22 JLURD. So far so good 3000 miles, the 18 was great with no issues started and ran fine, replaced both batteries and steering box upgrade nothing else, 57K miles when I traded it in. the 22 JLURD rides better, has a heavier more plush ride and the interior is much quieter dont really notice the diesel especially on the highway, running 35s and diesel could care less and stays in 8th gear versus the down shifting to 7 and 6 that the 3.6 did, and of course the torque and MPG is the biggest change I'm getting around 28.3 hwy and 25.5 combined, and passing on the highway is a breeze just lean on the pedal and it moves nicely.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Sounds like you want it already and need proof for the spouse that it is really needed like some forum feedback so...
Yes, absolutely you should do that, of course, you'd be the fool not to do that, The new one will probably pay for itself, new is nice, 3.6 is a fire hazard and people will think less of you if you keep it, the diesel fumes increase male vitality.
That last one should do it for sure

thance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Commander, 2002 Liberty, Looking for JLURD
Do it! You won't be sorry.... I love my 3.0.

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
Keep in mind if you want to do it, make sure you do it very soon because I think this is the last month to get the 3.0 in the Wrangler, as Im sure you know.......otherwise your only option will be a used one or a new Gladiator.

Sponsored

Cougstogo

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara High Altitude
I think once you drive the diesel you want ask us for an opinion. I have been very pleased with mine.

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
Would absolutely make that trade if the money end works out.....no substitute for torque.

Mojave Dust

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.vv4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
retired CIO; professional dilettante
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I've been extremely happy with my ecoDiesel. Even with all the mods (MC 3.5 lift, 37's, full skids, bumpers, winch, etc.) and vehicle weight now over 6100 lbs., I'm still getting over 21 mpg (got 27-28 stock). I hit 8th gear all the time, plenty of top end and climbing torque with no need to re-gear. So far has been a perfect engine choice for a Jeep and buying a jug of DEF every few weeks at Walmart has not been an issue for me.
I traded up from a 2013 JK gasser with the 3.6 engine.

JLJoy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU 3.0 Diesel
I have had both a JL and currently have a JT with the diesel. If you do much driving on the highway they canā€™t be beat. Not constantly shifting on a small hill and the mileage is much improved. I am on a trip now with our JT, drove over 900 miles to the Alabama coast and it was a pleasure to drive. Averaging around 23 mpg with highway speeds between 65 and 85. Would still have my JL but traded it for a 392. You wonā€™t regret.
Sponsored